Don't let the scale control you

Options
I've read so many posts lately about how people are frustrated and pissed off because the scale isn't going down or even worse it's going up.

We need to step back and remind ourselves that the scale is not the end all be all of weight loss, it is simply one tool that can be used to help us track our progress, but it should NOT be the only tool.

Remind yourself that even though the scale may say you have gained 2lbs, you have not gained an actual 2lbs of fat(unless you're binge eating and consuming 7000 calories over your maintenance..)

There are MANY factors that come into play when it comes to our scale weight. Clothes, time of day, whether or not you've eaten/drank anything, muscle soreness, etc.

Make sure you take measurements, and before photos. Also if at all possible get calipers to measure body fat. These are all much better at determining actual weight loss.

While the scale may go up, your inches are most likely going down.

Do not let the scale discourage or define you.

Replies

• phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!! I use to get mad cause the scale wasn't moving like I wanted it to and than I realized that life is more than just the scale. I do it for my health not to watch the scale move.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YES! I don't even own a scale right now, and it doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm exercising and eating a reasonable calorie deficit, then I know I'm doing well! The most important of course is how my clothes fit! Who cares what the scale says if you're fitting several sizes lower??
  • jennhamps
    Options
    Yep, that is me...making my self crazy over a number...sigh!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You know i have that all in my mind all the time yet still let that damn scale control me! ugh, but you are sooo right!!! Thank you for the reminder!!!!
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder -- I've been in a bit of a funk and needed it :)