my boyfriend isn't funny

I feel bad for admitting it, but I'm really missing humor in our relationship. Anyone else had this experience? Should I seek laughter outside of our home? Can I help him be funnier? Am I going to have the sole responsibility of cracking our friends and family up? Oh man. Or are we doomed? I think my mental health and my abs would benefit from more laughter in my life! :laugh:

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    I just posted this to my wall.

"I wish I could remember where i heard this story from, but i guess this girl always for got to turn off her ringer. This annoyed her boyfriend. So one night he recorded her having a particularly loud orgasm, then, while she was in the shower, he sets the recording as his ringtone. Next day, knowing she had an important meeting, he calls her. I guess the room got real quiet and she attempted to throw her phone out the window."

So be careful of what you wish for.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    have you noticed anything protruding from his rectum? possibly a large stick?

if so, try removing. but do it slowly!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Humor is like penis size. You got what you got.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Humor is like penis size. You got what you got.

OMG!! HAHA You sir, have a LARGE humor...
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    My husband is the same way. He doesn't like watching comedies. He would rather watch dramas. He loves Law and Order and the History Channel but hates sitcoms.. If he actually laughs during movies I tell people to watch them because "Even Jason laughed"
    When I am joking around he barely ever laughs. I have to tell him I am joking. Most of the time he says "I know" without cracking even the tiniest of smiles. I then die a little on the inside.
    Just get your funny fix elsewhere. I work with (intentionally and unintentionally) hilarious people and they satisfy the cravings. Just embrace the fact you will always be "The funny one" It is so much better than being the ugly one, or the dumb one, or the jerky one.
    I have been with my man for 12 years and can honestly say he never got betterr. Just love him for who he is. Cuz without his stoic seriousness we would probably be homeless and not laughing together in a gutter somewhere....
  • My husband is the same way. He doesn't like watching comedies. He would rather watch dramas. He loves Law and Order and the History Channel but hates sitcoms.. If he actually laughs during movies I tell people to watch them because "Even Jason laughed"
    When I am joking around he barely ever laughs. I have to tell him I am joking. Most of the time he says "I know" without cracking even the tiniest of smiles. I then die a little on the inside.
    Just get your funny fix elsewhere. I work with (intentionally and unintentionally) hilarious people and they satisfy the cravings. Just embrace the fact you will always be "The funny one" It is so much better than being the ugly one, or the dumb one, or the jerky one.
    I have been with my man for 12 years and can honestly say he never got betterr. Just love him for who he is. Cuz without his stoic seriousness we would probably be homeless and not laughing together in a gutter somewhere....

Aww, this is what I was hoping to hear from someone! There is hope for our survival! I know exactly what you mean…the number of times I've had to say, "I was joking," well, I've lost count. Thankfully, he does laugh at my silly antics sometimes. I wish he'd just offer some of his own.

So it sounds like I should seek my funny from others. I need a job in a funny workplace! Any suggestions?
  • Humor is like penis size. You got what you got.

OMG!! HAHA You sir, have a LARGE humor...

hahaha, love this. Thankfully, my man only got shorted in the humor department. :wink:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    I would die!!!

Make a comedy club your 2nd home.. or watch stand up on Netflix. I can watch them for hours!
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    I am a massage therapist. . :laugh: And he works in safety. :yawn: That reveals alot now I that I think of it...
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Ummm....ok
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    I'm of the opinion that everyone is funny. Some people are just really shy.

I could be wrong though.

If he is really just not funny at all, you could always imagine that instead of just being dull, he is actually a brilliant actor pretending to be overly dramatic and not funny.

That would at least be funny for you.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Spot on .... humor is very high on my criteria list.

I've always asked my kids, "Does he/she make you laugh?" If not, you might still have a good ride, just not as enjoyable.
  • I dated the driest guy ever once. Not for me. He took everything I said seriously, and it drove me insane. My husband is hilarious and I love it. People probably think we're crazy. It's almost like we have our own language.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I always dumped dudes that didn't make me laugh. Sense of humor is an absolute non-negotiable for me. If you are starting to feel resentment or uncertainty about your relationship because of his lack of humor, then yes, I'd say you're doomed.
  • WarrantyVoider
    WarrantyVoider Posts: 11 Member
    I'm the "Ernie" in my relationship. My wife is "Bert"

We still have fun, though!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Oh gosh...boring...lol
    I need humor!!! I couldn't date a guy that didn't know how to laugh...or loosen up. I like a man that doesn't take everything so seriously...

Laughter really is the best medicine...it reduces stress, increases endorphins (which make ppl happy), helps ppl bond, triggers creativity, lowers blood pressure, etc.

Of course, there is that guy that is on the other end of the spectrum that treats life like one big joke...now that is just as bad as no sense of humor but maybe just a little more annoying.
  • I feel bad for admitting it, but I'm really missing humor in our relationship. Anyone else had this experience? Should I seek laughter outside of our home? Can I help him be funnier? Am I going to have the sole responsibility of cracking our friends and family up? Oh man. Or are we doomed? I think my mental health and my abs would benefit from more laughter in my life! :laugh:

Maybe his humor is a little disguised?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    I always dumped dudes that didn't make me laugh. Sense of humor is an absolute non-negotiable for me. If you are starting to feel resentment or uncertainty about your relationship because of his lack of humor, then yes, I'd say you're doomed.

doomed is such a negative term .. how about Relationship challenged.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    I love my husband, but our humor sense does not always match up and other days we are bang on.. its just give and take.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    you know what the secret to comedy is? timing...

that joke works better spoken.