Splenda

Options
Do you recommend or oppose Splenda? Why?

Replies

• Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about the heath things or anything... I dislike artificial sweetners in general because of the taste they leave in my mouth.

I use regular refined.(if I run out of unrefined)..or unrefined sugar for everything.
  • rageena_falangee
    Options
    I dont care for Splenda in hot drinks, it develops a weird taste. I like stevia though. Its about the same in price and doesnt get the weird taste in my coffee
  • NordenJenn
    Options
    dextrose turns into fermeldahide (or however you spell it) when it gets in your system. if you need to use sweeteners use either Truvia or Stevia
  • LawRahB
    Options
    Bump
  • marygold76
    marygold76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From what I've read spenda turns into chlorine once in your body. The story behind how Spenda made it thorugh the FDA approval process is a bit shaddy too.

Personally I've had some bad reactions to it, like an enlarged liver, many people will get this and panic attacks.....It tooks me years to figure it out. So not everyone will have these side effects, I'm a big senstivie to chemicals, but why take a chance? Some other options out there are stevia, agave, and others. The bottom line for me is that i'm not only trying to lose weight to look good, but I want to be healthy. Best wished for you!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Stevia/Truvia is better. And you can find flavored stevia drops on amazon. I love the peppermint in my tea.:heart:

Yellow /Pink /Blue Packets = chemicals, YUCK !! :sick:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have used splenda on my cheerios since it came out. On cereal with a little fat free milk, I actually prefer it to sugar, because with sugar i always end up with un-desolved sugar in the bottom of my bowl. For drinks, I don't care for any of the artificial sweeteners, like Pocket_Pixi said, they leave an icky taste in my mouth. I bought Truvia (stevia) once and it was almost as bad as saccharin to me. I guess in the end, just about anything is okay if used moderately. I also use raw agave for certain things, usually anything hot. I ain't dead yet :wink:
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I oppose it, though not with any science.

If I need to sweeten something, I use real sugar or a real sugar substitute (honey, agave, maple syrup) and I use them very sparingly.

I try to only eat real whole foods. It works really well for me.

I will offer this:
    Splenda/nutrasweet/equal are not "healthy" sugar replacements. They are sugar-free sugar replacements and should only be thought of as such.

Good luck to you!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    dextrose turns into fermeldahide (or however you spell it) when it gets in your system. if you need to use sweeteners use either Truvia or Stevia

What does dextrose have to do with anything? Splenda is sucralose.

While not the best since it is a created chemical compound and not a more natural source, I still find it superior to straight up sucrose (table sugar) for those that want to avoid white sugar and are trying to loose weight. When I get to where I want to be I'll use more natural sweetners (sparingly) like honey and maple syrup. Just about anything is superior to actual sugar, which might as well be considered on par with other addictive drugs (don't outlaw it, people should always have a choice).
  • looking4lisa
    looking4lisa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Splenda is only 1 molecule away from chlorine...I don't use any substitute sweetners personally. You have to do what works for you, "your own milage may vary" kinda thing. If I need to sweeten something I use maple sugar flakes, only 11 cals per teaspoon, evaporated cane juice, or the occasional raw honey...SPARINGLY. Best of luck to you!!!
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    I use Slenda only for my coffee and hot tea. If I don't need a whole packet (which I rarely do), then I just save the rest for the next day. I think it is fine to use.:happy:
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Splenda is only 1 molecule away from chlorine...

Sorry, I need more here. Which molecule is it? Can I take splenda and add this "molecule" and clean my pool?

This type of thing really needs some reference.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I cut out artificial sweeteners from my diet 5 or 6 months ago based upon a lot of online research and feedback from some of my friends. I'm so glad I did it. A lot of the weird things I had with my body went away. The minute (not literally) I cheat and have something with Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc. in it I get symptoms back. Sunday I splurged and had 2 diet pops at the neighbors Super Bowl party. WHAM Monday morning I have inner ear canal itching that is still driving me nuts. The other thing that happens if I keep drinking it is that I get a nauseous stomach and HORRIBLE gas. IMO stay away from that crap. I use natural sweeteners i.e. sugar, agave nector, honey and Stevia.
  • looking4lisa
    looking4lisa Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Sorry, I need more here. Which molecule is it? Can I take splenda and add this "molecule" and clean my pool?

You can check this website http://www.thefitshack.com/2008/04/29/14-reasons-not-to-use-splenda-ddt-in-disguise/
    as well as many others available if you search it. Again, as I said before, if it works for you, go for it, personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't use Splenda because it gives me headaches, causes intense sugar cravings, and screws with my menstrual cycle.
    I use Stevia, but you have to be careful because some of the so-called Stevia products actually contain other sweeteners.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    when I cut sugar out of my diet I used splenda as a temporary crutch to get me over the hump. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to agree with me and I was sick to my stomach everyday I used it. In my personal opinion, anything that artificial really shouldn't be used on a regular basis. I agree with posts above of using low amount of agave or sugar.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

You can check this website http://www.thefitshack.com/2008/04/29/14-reasons-not-to-use-splenda-ddt-in-disguise/
    as well as many others available if you search it. Again, as I said before, if it works for you, go for it, personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff

I am really sorry that you believe ANYTHING on this website. To talk to this persons points on why not to use spenda

1. A lot of things a "discovered" trying to make other things.
    2. Whole foods is now the knower of all things and everything they say goes?
    3. I'm pretty sure the FDA does testing on things that they approve. And by pretty sure I mean, OF COURSE THEY DO!
    4&5. sucralose is not a made up word by some random guy. Check out a chemistry book.
    6. Chlorine is an element and just because table salt has the name "sodium chloriDE" doesn't mean that the chlorine in that molecule is any different than the chlorine in sucralose. chlorine is chlorine

I stopped reading after that because this website is just ridiculous. Just cause you find something online doesn't mean its true. Try finding some CREDIBLE resources next time.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Just because a substance is "natural" or from a plant, doesn't mean it isn't harmful. Some of the world's deadliest poisons are from plants. Who knows if stevia isn't deadly after long term use? It is a select extract from a leaf. So, ricin is from a castor bean, hemlock, daffodils, rhododendrons, azalea and many more are deadly. Oleander is supposedly the deadliest plant in the world, but are seen in many a yard as a decorative shrub. Stevia is fairly new, but who knows, next year it may be the talk of the town for causing who-knows-what. Moderation is the key to nearly everything.

We are lucky today to have several choices of artificial sweeteners. Back in the late 60s when I decided to quit using sugar in my coffee, I used saccharin, but not for long. It was the vilest tasting crap (which was later proven to be carcinogenic) and it didn't take long for me to start drinking my coffee black without anything. Now sugar in my HOT coffee is yucky although I do enjoy a hot latte occasionally.

and yes... what mhankosk said...
  • Sydney0710
    Options
    Yeah, I really agree with a pp that it's probably best to only use it as a crutch and to reduce the amount of added sugar or use a natural sweetener.

It seems like most artificial products end-up being endocrine disruptors, and if this is the case with Splenda, it might actually compromise weight loss by causing hormonal imbalances. Since it messes with my cycle and sex drive, I would be surprised if it isn't an endocrine disruptor.

I wouldn't decide it must be healthy simply because it's been approved by the FDA. That seems extremely naive in light of special interest groups that have a revolving door with for-profit industry and positions within the FDA.
  • Sydney0710
    Options
    Just because a substance is "natural" or from a plant, doesn't mean it isn't harmful. Some of the world's deadliest poisons are from plants. Who knows if stevia isn't deadly after long term use? It is a select extract from a leaf. So, ricin is from a castor bean, hemlock, daffodils, rhododendrons, azalea and many more are deadly. Oleander is supposedly the deadliest plant in the world, but are seen in many a yard as a decorative shrub. Stevia is fairly new, but who knows, next year it may be the talk of the town for causing who-knows-what. Moderation is the key to nearly everything.

You're totally right -- we don't know for sure.

I DO know that it agrees with my body better than artificial sweeteners, and it makes me more comfortable knowing it has been used traditionally for thousands of years in South America, and more recently, in parts of Asia. I used during my pregnancy with the approval of my endocrinologist.