hips- not going away that quick/easy

I started watching food intake on jan 3rd when I joined the gym as of yesterday have lost 12 lbs 5.5 in waist and 2.5 in hips. I wanted to know if this is normal- I do spinning class monday nights and zumba friday nights and in between tu-thursday are strength training.

Really need a way to step up my inches lost esp in hips where its the worst for me. My goal is to lose 40 lbs by 6/15. I have a long way to go and would love any ideas..

Thanks

Karen In Vermont

always looking for supportive friends and motivating people so add me if you are that kind of person:)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    You should try some leg/hip toning exercises. Strength training would be a great way to do this, but you can just do squats, lunges, and such at home. Also, I have found that pilates does a lot for my legs and hips. I have The Firm pilates dvds. They are wonderful.....a nice relaxing (but somewhat challenging) exercise for "rest" days. Good luck!
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    If squats and lunges are a "nice relaxing" exercise for you, then you are doing them wrong.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    If squats and lunges are a "nice relaxing" exercise for you, then you are doing them wrong.

And if you thought she said that they were relaxing you read that wrong...... She was talking about Pilates.
  • vtpugs
    vtpugs Posts: 28 Member
    I have the biggest loser for wii too- would that help to lose in the waist??
  • vtpugs
    thanks for the ideas!!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Your body is going to lose the weight where it wants to when it wants to no way to really spot reduce:flowerforyou: You are off to an awesome start keep doing it!
  • vtpugs
    bump
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Everybody has their areas where the weight wants to stick.... for me it's the butt and thighs! I have ALWAYS lost weight from the top down! As a not-so-well-endowed woman, that was always frustrating - lose the boobs but keep the butt?!?! So not fair! (But then I went and bought boobs after I hit my goal weight, but that's an entirely different story!)

My point is to keep at it and you'll lose all over, though it will be more in some places than others. Once you're at your goal, you can try to "spot reduce" with muscle toning. This will tighten the muscles and make the area appear smaller, but it will NOT remove fat from the area. All-over fat reduction (via cardio) is what does that.

So keep up the good work. Focus on what you've accomplished!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    You can't spot reduce any body part by exercising it directly. Body fat comes off systematically, meaning that if you lose 1% then it comes from everywhere.
    If your hips are going down slow, it's due to your genetics. Everyone's genetics will dictate where body fat is stored first and lost last.
    Just stay in calorie deficit and keep consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition