Calling everyone who raised their calorie intake.....

Options
And started losing weight.....Thread after thread I have read that if you aren't losing try uping your calories, but never I have heard anyone who actually has been successful. I need some reassurance!! It's scary! Please tell me your story!!!

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice:

1) from 2 pound lost to 1 pound lost goal
    2) from 1 pound lost to 1/2 pound lost goal.

I am now aiming for 1/2 pound lost and I am doing about 1 pound each week..... it does work. You may gain weight for the first week but it takes your body 2-3 weeks to adjust to the change. I always suggest trying something for a full month to see what it does for you (calories in or calories out) :wink:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm curious to see the results on this one.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started after losing tiny little amounts at 1200 plus exercise calories (around 1600) and getting frustrated

I set my daily calorie goal to be my BRM at goal weight + average daily calories burned by activity at goal weight (2200 total calories). I eat this every day and don't add extra calories for exercise, although I still exercise and log it (I just put one calorie as the calories burned). I was down .8 this morning after just five days of this, even with weight training which usually bumps me up a bit, so I think it's working - we'll see.

There's a group called Eating for Who You Want to Become who is trying this method of setting daily calories, and it's working for some there, too.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear success stories here too. I have raised my cals twice, saw results the first time, but still waiting for the second results.

When I started, MFP recommended ~1300cals for 1lb/wk loss and that worked well for the first 2months but then I stalled and then gained a little over the holidays. In the New Year, I educated myself on BMR, exercise cals, etc and discovered that MFP measured my BMR at 1420. I figured that was why 1300 net was not working for me any more. I increased my cals to 1500 and lost the holiday weight (4lbs in 2 weeks) but have not seen any movement since mid Jan.

I looked around for other estimates of BMR and I think mine is higher than what MFP measures, more like 1540 so I have upped my cals again to 1600 net. I am very active so I usually eat between 2000 and 2300 per day. I usually keep those cals good cals and low on the junk; I did eat a snickers yesterday and it was awesome :)

Like carriebear says, I'm going to stick with 1600 for a month before I decide if it's working or not. I've only been at 1600 for 1.5 weeks and while I have not gained, I have not lost yet either.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i was at around 1700 net calories/day and lost 1 1/2 lbs/week....I decreased it to 1400 and lost 1lb total in 4 weeks.....Increased it up to 1900 and consistently losing 1lb week.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    I was at 1200 and losing 2lbs a week pretty well for a good chunk of time. After I had dropped 24lbs, it stalled. I upped to 1400-1480 and sat there for another week, and after that first week I'm back to dropping 1-2 a week. When I decided to up them, I was stuck at 162, and today, 3 weeks later I am down to 156.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i boosted mine by 300 calories, and upped my lifting...it's working for me. Not so much weight wise right now (it's still to early to tell and I only weigh myself once a month) but my clothes are fitting better.
  • zebedee44
    Options
    bumping :flowerforyou:

just done this and want to see what happens to everyone else as well!

Have done it for 1 week (BMR x activity level - 500 cal = 1485 calories per day) don't add in exercise calories unless you do more than your activity level - lost 3 lbs (although might be a bit TOM :smile: )
  • jjpe
    jjpe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone this is great stuff to hear!!
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Omg...I am doing the same thing..and I am scared to death...I have upped since Sunday my next weigh in is next Sunday i want to get on the scale so bad but I am too afraid...don't "feel" like it is making a difference!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I started Mfp at 1200 mid Dec, been loosing between0.5 to 1kg a week ever since. Have have not hit a plateu yet. I know its still early days. I am now working out way more. Now im between 1400 to 1700 some days even 2k. I increased my calories not because i was working out more, but because i was hungry more. Im still recording same loss every week.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I did this when my weight loss stalled, I changed my setting from 1lb a week to 1/2 and did that for 2 months. My weight went up at first (but this was over the holidays); but i sterted losing again and went back to my 1lb a week setting. Its definately worth a try. If nothing else you get to treat your self to an extra helping for a while. Good Luck! :happy:
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Definitely worked for me!! (and for the friend that recommended it to me)

MFP had set me at 1200 cals per day for 1 lb/week loss, but it was pretty much a fail after the first few pounds. So I lowered my weekly goal to 0.5 lbs., effectively giving myself an extra 150-200 cals AND started eating back all but 100-200 of my exercise calories and the difference has been amazing. (I also have my carbs set to 45% instead of the recommended 55%, so that may contribute to the difference as well.)

I've lost almost every week ever since, and it's usually well over 0.5 lb.

Good luck!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I did it for two weeks. Due to lack of knowledge I had been unintentionally starving myself for several months and I stalled out on weight loss. So I spent two weeks doing a re-feed. Over the following two weeks I lost 4lbs with my goal set to lose 1lb per week.

In times previous I have eaten really well all week and then had a cheat meal once a week, this worked pretty well too. (I'm trying to get back in this habit as I haven't been eating great lately.)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Due to lack of knowledge I had been unintentionally starving myself for several months and I stalled out on weight loss.

That's what happened to me too. I was faithfully eating 1200 calories/day and plateaued for almost 2 months. As soon as I upped my calories to 1400 and change (0.5 lb/week loss), weight started dropping again.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It worked for me--helped me get out of a brief plateau. I didn't increase calories drastically, though, because I was afraid I'd gain weight. I simply ate more frequently (snacking every few hours on mainly veggies), which only added about 150 calories a day. For me, it wasn't the calories so much, but frequent small snacking. Throwing another little stick on the fire, if you know what I mean.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Worked for me too
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I need to hear these positive stories as well! I have started eating back my exercise calories and have not lost any weight (haven't really gained any, so that's good!) It's only been a week and half though so I am trying to tell myself to stick with it for a few more weeks.