Should I ever feel hunger?

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should be feeling hunger pangs. I eat my calories and don't usually go over. I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner which are all relatively healthy (slowly,but surely making the transition), but I still feel hungry in between meals. I feel hungry in between breakfast and lunch, in between lunch and dinner, and after my workouts (right before bed). Any advice? It's been a looooooong time since I felt hunger pangs and heard a growling stomach.

Thanks,

P,S.- I do have snacks in between meals (wheat things, special k bars) on occasion, but that's not really satiating me.

Replies

• Rosemarose
    Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    More protien & water i think. Also it does get better as you get used to it. You wont get them as much the longer you do MFP your body adjusts
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Swap out your sugar and carb-laden snacks for higher-protein stuff like Greek yogurt and nuts. That'll fix ya. :wink:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fibre along with water will help you feel full longer. The protein setting the the Fibre setting on MFP are both set too low. The Fibre one doesn't even come to the recommended minimum. The water will fill your belly. So focus on lean protein sources and things that are high in fibre for every meal.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Why is feeling hunger a bad thing?
  • Jaselygirl
    Jaselygirl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cut your meals down and have 5 or six small meals per day instead of 3. It helps me out a lot. :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should be feeling hunger pangs. I eat my calories and don't usually go over. I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner which are all relatively healthy (slowly,but surely making the transition), but I still feel hungry in between meals. I feel hungry in between breakfast and lunch, in between lunch and dinner, and after my workouts (right before bed). Any advice? It's been a looooooong time since I felt hunger pangs and heard a growling stomach.

Thanks,

P,S.- I do have snacks in between meals (wheat things, special k bars) on occasion, but that's not really satiating me.

I am of the opinion that I cannot expect to cut down on my calories, go on a diet, exercise regularly and not expect to feel hungry now and again.

However, you should not permanently feel hungry, up your protein, do not eat empty calories as these will not be filling but just an intake of (usually large) calories - they are a waste of calories for people that are on a set amount each day.
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    I feel hunger pangs, but I kind of enjoy them. I try not to let it get to the point where it's distracting me from work or making me crabby, but I don't think they're a bad thing.
  • erogers85
    Options
    I agree with the previous comment. Whenever I feel really hungry I drink two large glasses of cold water and eat something like 2 tablespoons of raw almonds or if I'm craving something sweet I'll have 1/4 cup of dried fruit like cherries, dates, prunes, etc. The fiber in the fruit keeps me fuller longer.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was the same so I thought I would skip breakfast, have my first meal at lunch then I have lots of calories left for dinner and after dinner. Once I eat breakfast I find that I'm hungry all day long. Seems to be working so far.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going out on a limb here, but maybe you're not eating enough? Or maybe you're eating too much carby not enough proteiny/good fatty stuff?
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    feeling hungry is fine ur stomach will shrink n the feeling will go away.... just stick with ur macro goals n split into 6 meals a day 1 every 3 hours.

im cutting right now and it took me about 2 weeks to get used to a new diet n my stomach stopped hurting i could just feel myself start to get hungry at 3hr mark as thats when my stomach kenw its getting food.. then it was my wifes bday so went n had dinner(still ate healthy veggie,chicken, rice but it was a large meal.. so again for about 3-4 days after my stomach stretched out with the big meal n took a bit to go back to my regular routine..
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Your hunger is the only cue you get for when your body needs fuel. But, a little hunger on a diet, especially early, is to be expected. Load up on healthy sources of protein early in the day. It will help keep you fuller. Also, eat lots of fiber! With all that fiber to chew on, you won't get as hungry also.

Starving = bad, could use a bite = ok. Never go hungry for long. I always end up binging if I don't eat when I'm hungry!
  • mscreed
    mscreed Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling hunger pangs and I, too, had not felt them in a long time. I think it's a good thing that you allow your stomach to be empty before you eat again. In my case, I think that's why I put on weight. I was eating when I was a tiny bit hungry, when I should have just waited until the next meal to satisfy my hungar. It does take a while to get used to the feeling of an empty gut.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are eating but try to get more protein in your diet and that will help alot. If you are consuming alot of sugar filled foods try to cut back on those as well. Water also helps make you feel full. I drink at least 4 24 oz bottles a day and it helps alot.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Cut your meals down and have 5 or six small meals per day instead of 3. It helps me out a lot. :)

^Yup, yup!^
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    I read if you feel hunger in between meals drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes and if you still feel hunger after then you should have something small
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My fav snack to keep the hunger away is a mini box of raisins with a handful of nuts. I was shocked to not be hungry after that. Oh..and water too.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. But I'd also recommend having something after your workout; if you're hungry after that, you should definitely get some protein so your body has fuel to rebuild, recover and get better. Protein shake, chocolate milk, and yogurt are some good post workout options.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Could be three things:

You may not be eating nutrient dense foods (wheat thins, special k bars, etc are not nutrient dense and will leave you hungry quickly after)
    You may not be eating enough calories
    Or, some combination of both

You should be eating balanced meals with good carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats. That's the key to staying full for longer. Eating processed or quick foods can often leave you hungry. For snacks, try things like a handful of nuts and greek yogurt, a banana with some nut butter, etc. Eat each meal slowly and chew completely to ensure you don't over eat. Eat GOOD and WHOLE foods until your body says you are full and you'll find more success.