let's talk chili... and veggies ...and maybe veggie chili?

Options
i add:
green peppers, jalapenos and onions
tomatoes (stewed and diced, from a can)
corn (fresh off the cob from the freezer or canned)
sliced carrots
mushrooms (sometimes by themselves or sometimes with meat, baby portobello works the best)

in the past i have tried adding:
green beans (the taste was okay, but we couldn't get past the visual)
spinach (works in a white chicken chili but not in regular, again the appearance)
sweet potatoes
eaten over regular russet potatoes

veggies i want to try:
pumpkin (pureed)
cauliflower

ones i don't think i'd try:
broccoli
brussel sprouts
asparagus
zucchini and summer squash (turn to mush)
artichokes

**what about you? convince me to try something new.

Replies

• amjolst
    Options
    Pumpkin Chili is amaaaazing. I've made Green Bean Chili before from an old WW recipe; it's delicious, but I'm definitely with you - it doesn't -look- good.
  • angraham2
    Options
    Okra and hominy. Both great in chilli, also green beans, I use caned sliced baby potatoes. I also use ground turkey, beans of course, pinto's, black, white, kidney, what ever I have. MMM this is making me hungry!
  • Acheronus
    Options
    Try chilli IN a squash... cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and stuff the cavity with chilli, then sprinkle with cheese, wrap in foil and bake for 90mins in a medium over, uncovered for last 10 mins..

The squash (Marrow here is the good old U of the K) gets sooo soft and yummy, you can even eat the skin!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Try chilli IN a squash... cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and stuff the cavity with chilli, then sprinkle with cheese, wrap in foil and bake for 90mins in a medium over, uncovered for last 10 mins..

The squash (Marrow here is the good old U of the K) gets sooo soft and yummy, you can even eat the skin!

i love this idea!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Ohhhh, THAT sounds gooood.

My usual chili recipe is not appropriate to be posted in a health & fitness forum...
  • Acheronus
    Options
    You can fill the cavity with any minced (ground) beef idea... just make it quite dry and it should be good.. tradition in the UK is a curry beef stuffing
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I make a veg chili with 5 beans. One of the beans I use are refried beans. I find that it thickens the chili and gives it a meatiness. I would definitely suggest adding refried beans to your chili's base. Good luck!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Red bell peppers! They add lots of vitamin c!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Made this monday night!

158b92c8.jpg

Vegan Quinoa Chili

Ingredients
    1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jalapeno pepper, diced
    1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium zucchini, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
    1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
    1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
    1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    3 chopped tomatos
    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 tbs paprika
    1 tbs smoked paprika (or 3tbs of normal paprika)
    1 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
    1 tbs ground cumin
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions
    -In a medium sauce pan boil water
    -Add quinoa, cover, and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Approx 15 mins
    -In a large pot (I always use my cast iron dutch oven) heat the olive oil over high heat. 
    -Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. 
    -Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
    -Add the beans, all the tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
    -Stir in the cooked quinoa. 
    -Season with both paprikas, cayenne, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
    -Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes. Serve warm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Other root vegetables such as turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, etc. Why stop with carrots?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Made this monday night!

Vegan Quinoa Chili

How was it? I'm a fan of quinoa, but it seems an odd choice for chili.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago we had some bloody mary mix left over from tailgating, so subbed it for some of the tomato juice that we usually use for the base, and found it added a nice kick (different levels of spiciness are available in bloody mary mix of course). One time after that I didn't want to buy bloody mary mix just for chili so I used some spicy low-sodium V8 which I had on hand anyways for breakfasts, and it also added a nice kick.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I love celery in my chili. I chop it pretty finely, but not so fine that it loses its crunch. And for a little extra punch of protein, my secret ingredient is *drumroll* .... peanut butter. Only a couple of tablespoons, but the effect is incomparable.

I also sometimes eat veggie chili over some brown rice if I need something that feels "meaty".
  • Acheronus
    Options
    I always used to add a few squares of Dark (Bitter) chocolate to my chilli to give it a sweet touch!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    -kidney beans
    -black beans
    -lentils
    -pureed habenero, jalapeno, dried chili seeds, cherry tomatoes (and whatever else I want to sneak in there, like carrots, yellow bell peppers, celery, etc.)
    -splash of hot sauce
    -stewed plum tomatoes
    -chili powder, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, very tiny pinch of sea salt, LOTS of black pepper

if I'm making it for other people, I'll throw in ground turkey.

Throw it all in the crock pot and mix. Slow cook for 8 hours. Put it in the fridge, eat the next day. Flavours are much stronger then!
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried lentil chili? I was thinking of doing this sometime this week - just replace one of your beans with lentils.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried lentil chili? I was thinking of doing this sometime this week - just replace one of your beans with lentils.

Yes, it is pretty darn good too!
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Lentil and Quinoa chili ROCKS!

I have chili and pepper allergy so I can only use cumin in mine. I do use Zucchini and Yellow Sqush. :-9 *YUMMY Face* I saute them first, so they hold up well in the mix.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/cornbread-topped-chilli-con-carne-126

This nigella version with red lentils and kidney beans is amazing. It's flavoured with a bit of ketchup and cocoa which sounds odd but gives it a fantastic depth of flavour. I don't do the cornbread on the top, just serve the chilli with low fat greek yogurt and some jalapenos and maybe some tomato coriander salsa.