New, 50...and this is the LAST diet I will ever try.

Options
Hi!
Any and all encouragement appreciated.
Have tried them all. I have health problems and a profoundly handicapped daughter I provide constant care for. I want to lose weight to be here for her. I've sort of given up on vanity... I need to lose a little over 100 lbs. Time and energy truly non existant.
My very first adult diet was calorie counting...and I lost about 20 lbs. Of course, I was about 22, cute, newly married, and probably weighed 135 at the most! I guess I've gone full circle.
I start tomorrow. No time for fancy meal preparations...definately a grab and go lifestyle.
Like I said, encouragement welcomed!!

Replies

• Carolwd
    Carolwd Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi!
    Any and all encouragement appreciated.
    Have tried them all. I have health problems and a profoundly handicapped daughter I provide constant care for. I want to lose weight to be here for her. I've sort of given up on vanity... I need to lose a little over 100 lbs. Time and energy truly non existant.
    My very first adult diet was calorie counting...and I lost about 20 lbs. Of course, I was about 22, cute, newly married, and probably weighed 135 at the most! I guess I've gone full circle.
    I start tomorrow. No time for fancy meal preparations...definately a grab and go lifestyle.
    Like I said, encouragement welcomed!!
  • traci254
    traci254 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I am a grab and go too... so we can help each other with tips for on the go meals...
  • Carolwd
    Options
    you got it Traci! Right now I'm addicted to McDonalds Hazelnut coffee....but I found out you can request less of the sugared flavoring and less cream....that ought to help!
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    Wow, I can really appreciate your effort. if you got this kind of drive I'm sure you'll endure. We do cause we gotta, right!...well for me dieting is out of the question. I try to look at things as a life style rather than a diet, I have my ups and downs like anyone and just try to make the right choices. I don't know your daughters challenges, but thought since it's nice out these days and time is short spending good time together walking to the park and having healthy picnics together is a great stress reliever and healthy way to spend time with each other..... Note, I'm not speaking from total ignorance as i am a busy single mom of 2. Have cared for the elderly, am caring for deaf/blind and autistic people and grew up with a deaf mother . keep up the fine fight, I look forward to seeing you grow and be positively happy .

P.S. maybe this will be your last "Diet".. and your new lifestyle change, Wink.
  • Carolwd
    Options
    Thanks Racoon1! My daughter, who has autism along with a chromosomal deletion, can't walk very far, BUT she loves the outdoors....especially the spring wind against her face....makes her giggle, which makes me smile! We WILL try to be out in the evenings more...now that it is staying light longer! THANKS for the kind words and encouragement! I really think this time will be different!!
  • racoon1
    Options
    your puttin tears in my eye's, of joy of course. I just replied to your other message too and thought of different uncomplicated "meals" sometimes my kiddies and I don't really have a meal but rather just something to keeep us going ei peanut butter sandwiches etc my daughter likes hers with cheese, my son with jam and mine with honey. something easy light and healthy that's all
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    Regarding quick meals, my favorite is to do the following: Once a week, make a big pot of veggie soup. (I take zucchini, onions, garlic, and sometimes carrots/pumpkin and throw them into a large pot with a small amount of soup mix. (No oil necessary.) Cover this with water and cook until you can stick a knife thru the veggies. Then use a hand blender and mix.) I take a bowl of this soup and add 1/4 cup quinoa or 1/2 cup brown rice and maybe some tofu (measured out, of course) or I'll have it with a piece of fish on the side. (I don't eat chicken or beef, but you could have that too.) This is a quick, one-bowl meal, and provides you with veggies, water, grains, and protein - it's also very filling and VERY FAST. (You just have to make sure that you have the soup/grain/protein made ahead of time.) Planning is the key, especially when you want to have quick meals. Take some time while your daughter is sleeping and prepare healthy stuff for when you don't have any time at all. Best of luck to you on your journey!!!
  • racoon1
    Options
    good call!!! you can also do this with any soup etc borsht, chicken stock, spinach soup and the list goes on and on....
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    just wanted to wish you good luck. i have three kids, my oldest is autistic and i have no thyroid due to thyroid cancer. hang in there and think positive and good luck :)
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!
    welcome this is a great site and you will enjoy the support and friendships you will make here:flowerforyou:
    I also have a child with special needs ... but we can do this!!!! i need to lose just over 100 lbs and so far this site had been wonderful for me, i have only been here 2 weeks but that 2 weeks has had me lose 3 lbs!!
    j~
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I've been on here for two weeks and I really enjoy it..actually, I probably spend too much time on here, it can be very addicting!! haha...

A couple of things that have worked for me is: 1, I'm not thinking of this as a "diet." Diets never work, so if I think about this as a "lifestyle," it makes it much easier for me. I haven't changed a lot of what I've been eating, but I have changed the amount of what I eat..that has been the biggest thing for me! Before, I would eat two helpings of whatever I made for dinner. Instead of two, I'll eat one helping, drink plenty of water and save the rest of lunch the next day. The funny thing is, I haven't felt hungry or anything. If I start to get hungry, instead of getting candy, I'll eat some fruit!

I hope this helps a bit..find what works best for you and go with it!
  • Carolwd
    Options
    Thanks so much! The support is already amazing....and I already feel like I don't want to let anyone down!

I'm sorry that you also have "a bit" to lose like me....but it was helpful reading that there is someone else out there facing a big challenge...so thanks again!!
    Carol
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome! I'm sure you will like this site as much as I do. I've lost 26lbs since the end of december following the nutrition plan I got on here. I hope to see you posting lots!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I just read your profile. I have a son with autism and mental retardation. I do want to stay healthy and strong so I can keep him with me for as long as I can!!! Stay strong and don't look at this as a diet but as a way of life. You will have ups and downs but don't you ever give up!!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and remember this is not a diet....it is a lifestyle change:flowerforyou:
    Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I feel similarly about the last diet you'll ever try. I am 55 years old,and done it all. I started out in poor shape, but I'm really doing well. I've lost 15 of the 70 lbs. I needed to lose. I also like the grab and go approach to dieting. I eat a chewy quaker oat bar for breakfast. A couple peices of fruit twice a day any time. I eat cottage cheese ( light and lively) or salad and 6 oz. V 8 for lunch. I have two 90 calorie rice crispie treats a day. Anytime. I eat Healthy choice, or lean cuisine for dinner 4 or 5 days a week.Usually at night I snack on Sams tropical trail mix. 1/3 of a cup. I usually have some sort of 100 calorie snack as well. My calories are between 900- 1300 I do weight training 5 days a week. (Joyce Vederal tone strengthen and shape DVD.) By the way shes almost 60. its a good workout. I have gotten stronger and do more as time goes by. I have a cheap set of pedals I bought at Walmart to sit in front of my chair and cycle while watching TV. I've had two major back surguries, 1 rotor cuff,and recently an abdominal surgury for ovarian mass. I have bad knees,and all are improving. Just be careful of them when you do work out. Find foods you actually like and fit them into your calories. I also take a multivitamen,and flax seed oil. When I am at my goal weight I plan to stay on this sight and weigh once a week. I don't want to do this again either. Maybe I'll gain ten lbs. but every year at my Doctor I want to weigh the same. Hope this helps good luck, and I'm hear to help if I can. Add me to your friends if you like.
  • mikeleroux1970
    mikeleroux1970 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi. start by calling it a lifestyle change . Diet is temporary . Good luck!