Desk Job - Help

Options

Replies

• puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do too and what I try and do is go the long way to the bathroom and do so make jumping jacks in the bathroom. Just to get moving. Also if your able to get your desk raised and a high chair so you can stand and work or sit.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennmartin82
    Options
    I have the same problem, 10 hour a day desk job, I try fitting in a walk on my lunch break, and after work.

All good advise here :)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When you get out of your chair use just your legs to push you up, no arms (if you can).
    Take a walk on your breaks ( i do this just for the fresh air alone)
    A couple wall push-ups on bathroom breaks, same for squats.

I have the same problem. I've actually seen that they sell bike pedals that you can put under your desk, I might actually invest in a set, just to get a little extra cardio in every day.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I ride my bike to work and I go for a walk during lunch time. Most girls there are not happy with what I do but I just ignore them.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am at a desk all day long as well, staring at a computer. I suggest the same thing most of these people have.

I'd say butt clenches. Desk push ups (put your hands on the edge of your desk and do push ups. Get up at least once an hour. Ab Clenches. I constantly tap my foot and re-adjust myself in my chair. And from what I've read on LiveStrong and other websites people who do this burn up to 100-ish more calories per day than people who don't.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Check out this article about Desk Jobs and your health. It gives me a good reason to get up as often as possible!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39523298/ns/health-mens_health/t/why-your-desk-job-slowly-killing-you/
  • 8Spokes
    Options
    These folks are giving good advice. :-) I work at a desk as well (8-10hrs) and although I work out in the morning and evening, i make it a point to move my joints while I'm at work.

Have you considered bringing an exercise ball and sitting on that instead of a regular office chair?
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    me too - I just plan my workouts after work. i get paid to work at work, not exercise. ~wink~ (not being schnarky!)
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all posts, so this may have already been said...

Can you exercise on your lunch break and then eat your lunch at your desk? That's what I have to do. I have 2 small kids so no time for exercise before or after work.

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got on Amazon and bought a balance ball chair. It's super easy to pop the ball out of the chair base and do a bunch of balance ball exercises, or to just spin the chair 90deg and do some crunches with the back support off to the side. I've found it really easy to do a few reps of balance ball exercises if I know I have 5 minutes or so. 5 min here or there through the day adds up.
  • alpha1029
    Options
    I take at least two breaks a day to run up the stairs. It gets my heart pumping and I feel more awake at my desk afterwards and it doesn't take more than five minutes.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Im at my desk for 8-10 hours a day, too, so I make sure to work out BEFORE work.

If that doesnt work for you- I sometimes lift my rear a couple of inches off my chair and hold it for as long as I can. (think squat) Or if your able- grab a bottle of water (or dumbell if you have access) and do some tricep extensions when no one is around. Good luck!
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Use an exercise ball instead of a chair.
  • JNile
    JNile Posts: 4
    Options
    I also have a desk job something I do all day long is bounce my legs just to keep me moving all day, I also make sure to get out of the office on my lunch break i find that just getting outside inspires me to take a walk or hit the gym for a few minutes (i only get 30 min lunches) I also make sure to use the bathroom farthest away I would take the stairs if I could but the doors are all locked at the bottom (we can get out via the stairs just not in) but i park on the 3rd floor in a parking garage and I make sure to use the stairs in there rather than the elevator.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    Kegels.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

funny how i started doing them after reading this! bahahaha.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    Use an exercise ball instead of a chair.

my boss does this
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What about exercising before or after work? That's what works for me.

me too!
  • iheider
    Options
    I have the same problem...all I do is get up and walk around for a little...then back sitting...
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Work out before/after work or during lunch.

Take a walk during break/lunchtime.