Tired of Subway..

Options
Wednesdays are hectic, so I need to get a descent fast food meal, but just can't stomache the thought of subway today. Any suggestions for a meal with some protien (that won't break the calorie bank) that I can squeeze in between work/kids/church/gym/grocery??? :happy:

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I never get fast foods anymore, I usually take my own sandwiches in.

Tuna and cucumber or salmon and cucumber, (50g) of fish in between two slices of wholemeal bread (78 calories per slice) with a smattering of low fat spread (6g) - whole thing comes to around 270 calories. I might have an orange after.

Total = 340 calories :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you're going to the grocery store anyway, pick up some raw fruits and veggies to snack on, hummus for protein, supplement with whatever else you eat - whole grain crackers, yogurt, milk, string cheese.
  • bullet1
    Options
    Sure there are better things to eat rather than fast food, but if you need to, you can build a decent salad from Chipotle that won't kill calorie count. Cosi also has some good options. And Panera has a few items that are pretty decent. Of course all these places have foods that are horrible for you as well, just have to choose wisely.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I got food poisoning once from Subway. The topping area always looks messy and unappealing. Can you pack your own lunch?
  • sjhnny
    Options
    I secnd Bullet1, Chipotle has great salads that you can load up with brown rice, black beans and veggies (I go vegetarian with the grilled peppers/onions). More pricey than subway, but way more flavor!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Moe's Southwest Grill is another good choice....you control the ingredients, so you can build a great, reasonably low calorie salad.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sure there are better things to eat rather than fast food, but if you need to, you can build a decent salad from Chipotle that won't kill calorie count. Cosi also has some good options. And Panera has a few items that are pretty decent. Of course all these places have foods that are horrible for you as well, just have to choose wisely.

Chipotle is one of the things I miss most since moving back to WV, well that and Target. Panera might be an option, thanks!
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    If you're going to the grocery store anyway, pick up some raw fruits and veggies to snack on, hummus for protein, supplement with whatever else you eat - whole grain crackers, yogurt, milk, string cheese.

Unfortunately, grocery doesn't fit in until after church and gym, which makes it about 9:30pm, but I do this at times and it works great.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I would say Panera!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Panera- Subway sucks
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Chick fil A nearby? They have an excellent grilled chicken salad or even a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. For the salad, choose the fat free honey mustard dressing and skip the croutons and sunflower seeds. For the sandwich skip any sauce and have it plain with lettuce and tomato.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Thanks to MFP posts & Panera nutritional data, I've planned a quick healthy dinner on the go for this evening. It's a little thing, but it makes me smile.

Panera 1/2 Salmon Caesar Salad with Italian dressing, minus croutons ~ cal 256 (336 with croutons)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Chickfila's chargrilled chicken garden salad is pretty good. And it comes in at under 200 calories (sans the dressing)... or Wendy's Small Chili and a baked potato is pretty good at under 500 calories... that's all on the top of my head at the moment.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have eaten so much subway in the last couple of years. I never thought I would get tired of it but I have. I need to change up the foods I am eating as it gets so damn boring. lol. I am gonna be eating a lot more steak here pretty soon.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Subway has too much sodium. Panera is a bit better

My 'go to' is half turkey artichoke (dry) and half a classic salad (dressing on the side)
  • rameyer1316
    Options
    I hear you about Subway, that is the only fast food place in my town and I'm so sick of it.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Our go to fast food place is El Pollo Loco.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    can you find somewhere to grab some maki rolls? I love me some sushi lol
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    chipotle salads I agree. When I go there I get the salad with chicken, fajita veggies, reg tomato salsa, hot salsa (cause I like it hot) a pinch of cheese (and I make sure they only put a pinch) and thats all I put on it. Let me say it is the best salad I have ever had. the hot salsa is hot so be careful if you don't like things hot.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds like you could be allowed extra calories with all that running around! Lol. Seriously though having something prepared like banana bread wrapped in tin foil with something on is always best for me x