Desk Job - Help

Options
13»

Replies

• BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    On top of working out after work, I do all kinds of little things while I'm there. I print to the network printer around the corner when I can (as opposed to the one on my desk). I walk a mile around the block at the beginning of my lunch breaks. I fidget. I'm also lucky enough to be in a relatively quiet/empty area of the office so when no one is around I do bursts of cardio at my desk or crunches even (hoping no one walks by!)

I've also heard those feet pedlers are good, fit right under the desk and are discrete.

Good luck!
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    Drink lots more water... The you'll have more bathroom breaks....lol
  • JNile
    JNile Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I keep hand weights in my drawer and when it's slow I pull them out. I do "push ups" on my desk. When I go to the bathroom I do 10 lunges, 10 squats and 10 jumping jacks. Whatever you can fit in, just don't make people think you're crazy. The people I work with have watched the last 35-40 pounds of my weight loss happen, so they get it. Still make fun of me though when I get caught :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Do 25 Jumping jacks & 25 squats in the bathroom every time you go...probably better to use the accesible stall. ;) Do calf raises at your desk. Get some weights and work out your triceps to fend off bat wings! ;)
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been doing push ups(not in the floor off the edge of my desk) and squats every afternoon and I try to get up and walk around when the phone actually permits ...
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    Have you considered bringing an exercise ball and sitting on that instead of a regular office chair?

This.
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    Not sure anyone has mentioned it yet but POSTURE. Make sure at the least you're not slouching and keeping your back straight. If you don't do this and slouching becomes repition you can say bye-bye ab's. You can also do isometric ab holds just sitting in your chair, good luck!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Get in a workout before, lunch, or after work. Do as others have said, make sure that you stand up or move around in some way several times an hour (there are reminder apps you can get on your computer), take stairs at work, use FitDeck Office or Travel cards.
  • alyssio17
    alyssio17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kegels.

LOL
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you have room under your desk for a mini stepper or peddle cycle?

0002264390046_180X180.jpg

or

0002264310127_180X180.jpg
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I work in an IT department running a support line. Lots of great ideas here, but I was thinking of purchasing a portable mini bike for under my desk and using it all day. Anyone have one already? If so, what do you think of it?
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Instead of a chair, try a stability ball instead (make sure you get the proper size one for your height/weight - when you're sitting on it your knees should be bent in a sitting position at a 90 degree angle and your butt should not be lower than your knees).

They're great for keep your core balanced and you can work on little movements throughout the day when you get bored or if it's a particularly slow day.

Here's some links below for reference. Stability balls at the office may not be for everyone and every employer may not be okay with it. Most employers will like that you're making a health-conscious effort and trying to incorporate it into your work life (since it means you care about your health and in turn may lessen the cost of providing health insurance through your job). I'd always ask your supervisor or boss first about whether or not it'd be allowed and if they were okay with it before going ahead and just doing it.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/2845-use-exercise-ball-as-office/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/office-exercise/SM00115
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work in an IT department running a support line. Lots of great ideas here, but I was thinking of purchasing a portable mini bike for under my desk and using it all day. Anyone have one already? If so, what do you think of it?

I have the bottom one I posted at my house, love it for being lazy on the couch but still exercising my legs! It was heaven sent when it got cold and dark way too early and walking in the park in teh evening wasn't a good idea anymore. I've heard of people having them at work which is why I suggested it, but I want mine for home more! I recently brought a resistance band to work, but I haven't started using it yet.