Someone decode this "eat your workout calories back" shiz fo

Options

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi back from across the pond,

Basically then, if I'm eating back all of those 'extra' cals I'm going to get better results and overall performance and more enjoyable runs.

Ps I'm in South Wales

Hi! :D

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I have never been to Wales, but I have seen enough pictures and enough of England herself to know Wales is gorgeous.

P.P.S. you are not dull! You clearly have a good grasp of exactly what's going on here! ;)
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Ok, please bear with me. Can someone please explain to this dull Welsh bloke. If we are given a figure which already includes a deficit to enable us to lose weight, then why are putting in the effort to run, weight train what ever it is we all do. Because the way I see it is that if we eat our exercise calories back then we are still going to lose the same amount of weight as if we don't exercise at all.

I do apologise for not getting this and I respect everyone's answers and opinions but I really don't get it!

And yes I do quite a bit of running etc as I am training for 2 x half's and a 10 miler later in the year and i really don't want to hamper myself.

Stu

If you're training for two half marathons (so am I!) then I am going to hazard a guess that you apparently like running; you must be getting something out of it besides "just exercising." For me, running has become more of a way of life than just "exercise." So why would you consider stopping?

Yeah your right I do get a lot out of it aswell as enjoyment and exercise I really do get the whole benefit thing about exercise thing for well being etc. I'm just trying to get my head round the whole eating back debate as I've always been under the impression that by burning more than you eat you will lose weight - end of. So it was all a bit confusing for this poor little welshman when he read this.

I think I got it now though. Many thanks to all of you and good luck in all your runs
  • stuey39
    Options

Basically then, if I'm eating back all of those 'extra' cals I'm going to get better results and overall performance and more enjoyable runs.

Ps I'm in South Wales

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I have never been to Wales, but I have seen enough pictures and enough of England herself to know Wales is gorgeous.

P.P.S. you are not dull! You clearly have a good grasp of exactly what's going on here! ;)

Yeah certain places are, check out 'pen-y-fan/brecon beacons' now that truly is a stunning area and also where I take my dog for a bit of hiking.

Thanks again
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I ate at a deficit to lose pounds and wear smaller clothes.

I exercised to be healthy. And to look good out of those smaller clothes. :laugh:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

Ps I'm in South Wales

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Yeah certain places are, check out 'pen-y-fan/brecon beacons' now that truly is a stunning area and also where I take my dog for a bit of hiking.

Thanks again

oh now that is a truly gorgeous place to run!!
  • rodamyot
    Options
    OK I get the eat back calories thing, mine is 1450 daily, that's ok but here is my problem:
    I do exercise 3X a week and I burn about 1000 to 1300cal at each workout. If I want to eat back all that with food I will bust my daily sugar, fat and etc...... The way I see it, my only solution is to take some protein shake very low in sugar.
    It's been only a month since I got back to workout and I have 15pound to loose (or 4% fat) and I lost 2 pound so far (meanly water I gest) but I think I will get to that problem of my body getting in starvation mode because of my cal deficit.

What do you peoples think. ???!!!!
  • stuey39
    Options

Ps I'm in South Wales

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Thanks again

oh now that is a truly gorgeous place to run!!

Yeah wish I had the balls to run it, there's a race up there every July it's only 3.6 mile with a record of 30 min flat. Apparentlt there is a reward if you beat it but check out the elevation!!

I'll stick with walking it for now mefinks
  • stuey39
    Options
    OK I get the eat back calories thing, mine is 1450 daily, that's ok but here is my problem:
    I do exercise 3X a week and I burn about 1000 to 1300cal at each workout. If I want to eat back all that with food I will bust my daily sugar, fat and etc...... The way I see it, my only solution is to take some protein shake very low in sugar.
    It's been only a month since I got back to workout and I have 15pound to loose (or 4% fat) and I lost 2 pound so far (meanly water I gest) but I think I will get to that problem of my body getting in starvation mode because of my cal deficit.

No use asking me I'm Welsh!! lmao

Seriously, I'm not to sure like you I get the principle but how to actually do it I ain;t a bleeding clue yet, but I do get the why bit.
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    ahhhhh, lol - I set my calorie intake to 1500 to make sure I am eating enough - I don't eat my workout calories and it makes me feel good - simply because I am mentally tricking myself... hey don't judge what ever works right?

This is also how i roll.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "EAT THEM" -- ditto

It's true that calories out > calories in = weight loss...but if you're not close to your BMR (several factors influence what you actually need before your body starts storing extra fat, i.e. "starvation mode") you can lose lean muscle, which helps drive fat loss.

Know your BMR, figure out your maintenance calories and use those as your guide. It will take some trial and error, but it works.

Often when people hit a plateau, it's because they aren't eating enough -- especially when they're smaller and close to a goal.

This isn't an overnight solution. Each person is different and can tolerate different amounts of weight loss per week (if you break it down per week), but if you're a 145 lb person trying to get to 135 with 15% body fat, you have to go about it differently than a 350 lb person with 40% body fat.

I am going to give it a week, up my calories and continue working out like crazy. Hopefully I will see SOME progress, but I know for sure my workouts are going to be a lot better when there is fuel to burn. Thanks!

You can't do something for a week and expect results. You need to do something for a month at least to allow your body to adjust to the additional calories. Also, beach body suggest no less than 1800 calories for those doing p90x and more for those who are more active or already fit. I eat at level 3 - 3000 calories and don't have an issue losing. Keep in mind, food is fuel so if you don't fuel the body, it will conserve energy as much as possible.
  • rodamyot
    Options

No use asking me I'm Welsh!! lmao

Seriously, I'm not to sure like you I get the principle but how to actually do it I ain;t a bleeding clue yet, but I do get the why bit.

Sometime I fell it's more like a voodoo thing. FEEL GOOD and it's going to work.!!

BTW: it there a cal count for laughing very hard on MFP :-)
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    "EAT THEM" -- ditto

It's true that calories out > calories in = weight loss...but if you're not close to your BMR (several factors influence what you actually need before your body starts storing extra fat, i.e. "starvation mode") you can lose lean muscle, which helps drive fat loss.

Know your BMR, figure out your maintenance calories and use those as your guide. It will take some trial and error, but it works.

Often when people hit a plateau, it's because they aren't eating enough -- especially when they're smaller and close to a goal.

This isn't an overnight solution. Each person is different and can tolerate different amounts of weight loss per week (if you break it down per week), but if you're a 145 lb person trying to get to 135 with 15% body fat, you have to go about it differently than a 350 lb person with 40% body fat.

I am going to give it a week, up my calories and continue working out like crazy. Hopefully I will see SOME progress, but I know for sure my workouts are going to be a lot better when there is fuel to burn. Thanks!

You can't do something for a week and expect results. You need to do something for a month at least to allow your body to adjust to the additional calories. Also, beach body suggest no less than 1800 calories for those doing p90x and more for those who are more active or already fit. I eat at level 3 - 3000 calories and don't have an issue losing. Keep in mind, food is fuel so if you don't fuel the body, it will conserve energy as much as possible.

Good point. I honestly can't imagine eating over 1500 cals and not feeling guilty but you are right, I have to give my body more time to adjust. And if everything else fails I will just resort to an eating disorder, that seems to work for others. LMAO! ; )
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am interested... you got me at Stop All Cardio.... When you say I should continue P90X, that includes cardio workouts so I am confused.

At this point, I am willing to try anything and everytihng, if someone will tell me to go and eat tree bark because that's what really works I would probably be grinding the trees in the park because I am so frustrated and emotionally drained from this fight!
    Heh, you're right, my apologies. It's been a long time since I've done P90X, and I forgot about the plyo and cardio, just remembered it as resistance training. An easier test if it's feasible for you is to just go to an endocrinologist and get your T3 levels tested. I would be surprised if you were not burning at least ~400-500 calories in a P90X workout, and with your current caloric intake you should DEFINITELY be seeing weight drop quickly, which is what suggested potential thyroid issues to me.

Check out http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/hypothyroidism-too-little-thyroid-hormone and see if you have been experiencing any symptoms. If not, then sorry if I alarmed you.

As always, take what you read on the net with a grain of salt, and if in doubt, consult with a doctor!

You seriously may want to consider resistance training. I know it is anathema to most women, but you may find it a lot more effective than cardio (it definitely was for my wife). It will also not turn you into a hulking behemoth, like most people seem to believe (if only it were that easy :P). Intermittent fasting and/or LeanGains diet may also be worth looking into, but verify your thyroid function is not compromised before starting anything like that. Personally, I have seen unbelievable results with IF/LeanGains+barbells/bodyweight training, but it involves micromanaging your diet, and is probably more than most people really want to deal with.

I hope this is helpful. Sorry for any earlier confusion :)
  • leezett
    Options
    e
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    oh well, this has been on so many threads...

i'm not surprised you're not losing weight when you exercise a lot and all you give your body is 1200 kcals... starvation mode and that you know... the body needs the fuel tokeep your metabolsim going at a certain rate. once it doesnt get the fuel, it just hangs on to whatever there is to hang on to.
  • leezett
    Options
    It doesnt work because your body goes into starvation mode and tries to hang on to all of its fat stores. Its a great survivial mechanism when you go through times of plenty and times not so plenty when hunting in the woods. But now that we have all the food available to us all the time, our bodies dont know that and still kick into survival mode when it is not sure when the next meal is coming. If you up your calorie intake .... and preferably eat every 2-3 hrs, then your body will learn that there is always food coming and it will try to use it up before its next meal. Remember our bodies are made of hormones working together and a fine tuned system that wants to survive, not a mathmatical equation. Hope this helps at all and good luck!

This is a great post. Right on point!
  • sharonspencer1
    sharonspencer1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lol hi am glad am not the only 1 confused at this, I thought that not eating my workout calories back wud enable me to loose more??? But av only started this week, so I will see on mond wen I weigh again!! If any1 can explain this wud be grateful!!
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
  • pokeypeep
    Options
    I agree Maya.