Shortening the *hurt* between workouts

Options
I worked out 2 days ago and I still feel like I got hit by a bus. Last night I took an epsom salt bath and I've done tons of stretching, even took some advil, still hurting. I wanted to try to workout again tonight, but it hurts just to walk up the stairs! Any advice?

Replies

• lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    foam roller is meant to help
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't walk up stairs. :tongue:

Do an easy workout tonight. Don't push yourself too hard.

The 2nd day after a huge workout is the worst. But the pain will subside as you get used to working out.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Get out there and workout.... do a good long warm up, workout to the best of your ability, and do a LONG cooldown.
    For me, working out helps with the soreness and helps it go away.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, :)

Things i'd recommend is Omega 3,6,9 ( flax seed oil, cod liver oil etc)

Glusomine tablets can be purchased from myprotein website ( what i use )

and also BCAA ( amino acids ) also can be purchased from myprotein

all of these things help with the recovery.

oh and GOOD DEEP sleep!!! You only recover when your sleeping.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I think you're supposed to give your muscles a rest when they're very sore. Don't worry, they won't be sore for long.
    If I were you, I'd respect my body and treat it to a nice walk or some yoga or stretching. Then when I wasn't sore anymore, I'd continue with more strenuous exercises. You won't do yourself any favors by injuring yourself.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Shortening the hurt... exercise again the next day, and the next- only take max 3 days off a week. Next week you wont be as sore after the same exercise, and the next time you change it up you might be sore as hell again, but the following week it shouldnt be so bad. We hurt because we are using diffrent muscles, drink a ton of water and take some advil if its unberable!
  • K_Pow
    K_Pow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is do a low impact workout...even just walking for a bit will loosen up the muscles, get the blood flowing and help with the stiffness. Main thing is just to move a bit so that you can flush out lactic acid in your muscles and to help with recovery.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is do a low impact workout...even just walking for a bit will loosen up the muscles, get the blood flowing and help with the stiffness. Main thing is just to move a bit so that you can flush out lactic acid in your muscles and to help with recovery.

Agreed! Also, I recently read in a fitness mag, fresh grated ginger and some kind of cherry juice will help with post workout soreness.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    We hurt because we are using diffrent muscles

Sort of. Muscles hurt because they get torn during intense exercise. The body needs time to repair those muscles.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths are great for sore muscles and also are great in detoxifying the body. I highly recommend. I get lavender scentred epsom salt, and I love to soak in it while reading, :)
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    All of the above!

But also:
    Vega Sport recovery accelerator, it's a mix of herbs and healthy sugars to help re balance your blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and promote healthy muscly synthesis

I only like the apple berry flavor, but the tropical is not terrible...

http://veganproteins.com/vegan-protein-shop/Vega-Sport---Recovery-Accelerator.html
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am sure lots of people will disagree with me but here is my two cents worth. Lots of us go into a "diet" trying to loose weight and change our body in an instant even though it may have taken decades to get to where you are. We try to survive on too few calories while we excercise like crazy people all in the hopes of a quick fix. This may not be you but it is a lot of us. We excercise so intensly that we seriously tear muscle tissue and it can take days for them to heal. A much better strategy is to start moderate and work your way there. my suggestion is to continue to move but not at the level that caused that much discomfort. Try walking or reducing time and intensity for a few days. Then when you are ready to up it again just up it a bit every couple of days. You will still get to the same level but you will be able to maintain the workouts over the long run.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    Fight through the pain. Workout still just don't do as much weight/reps. I started P90 last week and I had the same feeling as you all week. I continued on my workouts and did them. Reps were less but still did it. Once your body gets use to activity the pain will go down a lot. You will have some soarness but nothing like you feel now.
  • cah1255
    cah1255 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i started using protein powder to lessen and shorten the "hurt". it has really been helping me. i have not felt very sore after my workout since i started drinking it. right now i am using the AMP wheybolic extreme 60 from GNC (i think it is regularly a bit pricey, but it was on sale when i bought it). i drink it about 15 min after i finish my Insanity workout for the day. the directions say drink 3 scoops, but i have only been using one. i think that's all you need. good luck!