Feeling Discouraged!

Options
So I've been tracking for a little over a month (I started on another site and then found MFP and was hooked!) and am on day 10 of 30-day shred. I do extremely well staying within my 1200 cal/day goal and dont usually eat my extra workout cals. In addition to 30-day shred, I usually get some extra exercise in about 3 days/week.

So within the first 2 weeks of tracking, I lost 6 lbs. I was feeling good and excited about seeing such great progress so quickly. But the last 2 weeks have been discouraging. I lost 0 last week and gained 1 this week! I know starting a new workout program will affect this but UGH!

How do you stay motivated through the crummy days?? Because today all I want is a big fat ice cream sundae and a glass (read bottles...) of wine!

Replies

• DenseGirl
    DenseGirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Throw a brownie on that pile and I am right with you.

I like to remember that it is a marathon not a sprint but that doesn't always help. When I get all antsy about food I try to take a walk, read a book or in general occupy my time. If I am busy with something fun like painting or reading then I won't eat out of emotional distress or boredom.

On the gain, I had to get really serious about actually measuring portions and calories. I still struggle with this. Get over the top on measuring and I promise you will lose weight. Although, from your picture you look pretty healthy to me.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think you are fueling your body with enough food. You should NET at least 1200 calories each day (so that means eat back your exercise calories). Just my opinion, but works for me.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and record you measurements.

I've gone through a very similar thing. Had my weekly weigh-in today and have lost nothing for two weeks even though I'm eating and exercising in quantities that would normally earn me a loss. But, I've also been shredding. I'm a bit peed off that I haven't lost anything, but, having measured myself a fortnight ago, today I found out that I've lost 2cm from my hips and 1 cm from my thigh. That's motivating and Jillian stays firmly on the agenda.
  • MMcDonald8
    Options
    Get a tape measure and record you measurements.

I've gone through a very similar thing. Had my weekly weigh-in today and have lost nothing for two weeks even though I'm eating and exercising in quantities that would normally earn me a loss. But, I've also been shredding. I'm a bit peed off that I haven't lost anything, but, having measured myself a fortnight ago, today I found out that I've lost 2cm from my hips and 1 cm from my thigh. That's motivating and Jillian stays firmly on the agenda.

I think you were reading my mind!! I just did my measurements and have an overall loss of 3in since starting 3DS!! I'll take that! I cant wait to start level 2 tomorrow - Doing the same exact workout for 10 days straight gets a little old..
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant. Maybe that's the way it's going to be and we'll have to put less emphasis on weight.
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Thank you for starting this post. I need help with the same thing. I stepped on the scale this morning and gained 3 lbs since yesterday.:angry:
  • MMcDonald8
    Options
    Thank you for starting this post. I need help with the same thing. I stepped on the scale this morning and gained 3 lbs since yesterday.:angry:

I definitely recommend going by measurements rather than weight. I found a post yesterday by a member who posted two pictures of herself - the first she looked good but in the second she looked phenomenal! Lots of tone to her body, looked very lean. There was only a 2 LB DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO PHOTOS! I was shocked! This just reinforced the measurements thing.
    Keep your chin up and stay focused! And maybe put the scale in the closet for a week or so. Only pull it out once a week or once every 2 weeks. I think us gals focus FAR too much on that number instead of how we feel and how our clothes fit.
    Can you tell I'm in a completely different state of mind since yesterday? :)