Green smoothies question....

Options
i want to start making green smoothies for a power b'fast (spinach, protein powder and assorted fruits/veggies), a heallthy type lunch and then another green smoothie for supper (same ingredients above). In b/t these 3 basic meals snacks such as almonds, homemade protein snacks. This sounds all good but i'm worried about the sugar intake from all the fruits made in the smoothies. Any thoughts???? thx!!:wink:

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrible, Eat bacon instead. Much tastier choice. :)
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just started making "green monster smoothies" for breakfast....lots of calories...but keeps me full all morning

I use: 1 TBSP peanut butter, about 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 frozen banana (make sure you slice it up before you freeze it), vanilla flvoured protien powder, about 1/2 cup skim milk, and about 2 cups of fresh spinach.

soooo yummy! you seriously can't taste the spinach at all!
  • WDE23
    WDE23 Posts: 21
    Options
    what about the high amount of sugar content in the smoothies. My requested sugar intake is not very high according to what this site reccomends????? Or is this just refined sugar????
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think most people ignore the sugar they get from fruits and just use the MFP goal as a guideline to limiting processed sugars. I took sugar off my tracker because it was depressing watching it go red everyday when the majority of the sugar was from the banana in my shakes.
  • sjhnny
    Options
    I'd focus less on the sugar, and more on the fact that you're filling your body with energy-giving whole-foods in that powerhouse smoothie! Granted bananas do have a lot of sugar, but in place of a processed, high sugar cereal, bar or instant oatmeal you're gonna feel great! Plus you're getting lots of fiber with it. My personal fave is: 1 C coconut milk (or rice, soy, whatever), 2 C spinach or kale, 1 banana, 1 T Peanut Butter, 1 t. cocoa powder, 1 T chia seeds, topped with a handful of ice and give it a whirl.
  • WDE23
    Options
    chia seeds??????:huh:
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great topic watching :flowerforyou:
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd focus less on the sugar, and more on the fact that you're filling your body with energy-giving whole-foods in that powerhouse smoothie! Granted bananas do have a lot of sugar, but in place of a processed, high sugar cereal, bar or instant oatmeal you're gonna feel great! Plus you're getting lots of fiber with it. My personal fave is: 1 C coconut milk (or rice, soy, whatever), 2 C spinach or kale, 1 banana, 1 T Peanut Butter, 1 t. cocoa powder, 1 T chia seeds, topped with a handful of ice and give it a whirl.
    I do the chia seeds and coconut milk also with spinach, grapes, oranges, pears and bananas. Think I'll try yours to eliminate some of the sugar. Sounds great!
  • pwillini84
    Options
    I use plain Greek yougurt, yellow delicious apples, pom / plum juice (100% from Aldi), 1 T of peanut butter and spinach to fill the blender. I add more spinach after the first blend, seems you really can't get enough spinach in a smoothie.

Don't rely so much on bananas, any fresh fruit will do - kiwis are great and if you really want to expand your horizons blend in a grapefruit or orange while leaving out the liquid. The added long fiber from citrus is good for colon health!
  • WDE23
    Options
    Great ideas....i welcome any more ideas. Thx!!:happy:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    All of the reason I have done about green smoothies suggest using two different types of greens and rotating weekly. So this week might be spinach and kale, next Swiss chard and another green.
  • katieonline
    Options
    I heart my almost daily smoothie. I HATE veggies so slipping spinach in and not noticing = AMAZING. 1 frozen diced banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup spinach, 2 tbs peanut butter (mind you I get a lower fat organic). blend and enjoy.

I ordered some PB2 to use instead of regular peanut butter because of the large amount of fat. If it is all it says it is it will save 100 cal per smoothie and have all the same amazing qualities. We shall see!
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I add spinach to any smoothie I make. You can't taste it at all. My usual smoothie is: 1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 c spinach, 1 or 1/2 a banana, 2 tbsp chocolate pb2. Sometimes I'll add berries, sometimes I'll add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, sometimes I'll add chia seeds. I put it over ice and sip it all morning and usually finish right before lunch which works out great!!
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I like a couple of packed cups of spinach, kale or romaine with two green apples and a beet. I add water and sometimes throw I. CIA seeds or flax. Green Smoothie Revolution is a great resource. you do need to rotate your greens, I think it's an oxylate issue
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i want to start making green smoothies for a power b'fast (spinach, protein powder and assorted fruits/veggies), a heallthy type lunch and then another green smoothie for supper (same ingredients above). In b/t these 3 basic meals snacks such as almonds, homemade protein snacks. This sounds all good but i'm worried about the sugar intake from all the fruits made in the smoothies. Any thoughts???? thx!!:wink:

i just did a 3 day liquid only cleanse - all vege juice (no fruit). It is great for a short time and you do feel amazing after as our digestive system has had a total break. I would not think its sustainable or recommended for extended periods of time.

Having said that imo (which is not a doctors!) - green juice at 200 calories is WAY better than 200 calories of macdonalds!
  • char102005
    Options
    I drink green smoothies, minus the protein powder. The sugar in the fruits is fructose, it does not effect you in the same way as processed sugar, the fruit helps you burn more fat! My green smoothies are spinach (sometimes arugula), pineapple, strawberries, mango, or maybe blueberries, grapes, apples. They are delicious and filling!
  • char102005
    Options
    My diet is 80-90% vegan, all the green leafy veggies are high in protein so you don't need the protein powders. Also raw nuts, and plenty of beans! Also very high in protein1 I've lost 14 pounds in 4 weeks and just started exercising last week! Meat and dairy is very hard for our body to digest and hard on our liver. I eat very little processed food, I can't believe how much better I feel!!! Good luck!
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I make a pumpkin pie one and I love it!
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I do unflavored protein powder (that way I'm not getting extra sugar from the protein powder) and I use frozen bananas and mangoes. I'm with the other posters that ignore the sugar from fruit- Fruit is real, good food, don't let the natural sugars in it deter you. It's good for you! I think frozen mango is the sweetest.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Kale is healthier raw than spinach. I usually do Vega powder, a banana, almond milk and some kale. Sometimes I throw in other fruit depending on the day and how adventurous I'm feeling. You can always add frozen blueberries if the green colour throws you.