Advice needed when faced with a (food) decision

Options
I have/had an issue with having compulsive snacking/eating binge episodes. For example: go to the store with every good intention to pick up some healthy snacks and salad for lunch while at work. Something I do and have done alot. I pass the pastery/bakery dept. I see the donuts. I have a impulsive moment and get one. I am thinking, I dont need this. I am about to go back to work and eat lunch, but this is so sweet and so good, I have to have it. I buy it. I eat it, the whole time feeling so guilty, cuz:

1. its not even that good (no clue why im wasting calories on something I dont really love)
2. know im doing it cuz im just a lil hungry cuz its lunch time
3. with every singe bite, telling myself to stop

YET I STILL EAT IT ..

I know its disgusting :(

But, thats why I am reaching out for advice. I need to know that I am not the only one with this problem and I would love some help on how others cope with it.

Now don't get me wrong, when I am in the mood for some good desert at a restraunt, I get it. This has nothing to do with depriving myself and not making lifestyle changes etc ... I know I love sweets, I know I will always have them in my life. I work on having them in moderation. This is soley in times like the example above.

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from and, like you, love my sweets and know that I dont plan on saying that "I will never have this or that" because for me that is unrealistic. I have also been in the grocery store and picked up a bag of cookies, knowing that I didnt need to have it but proceeded to buy it anyway and then on the way home, I inhaled the entire bag and by the time I pulled up to my driveway, the entire bag was gone.

The problem is you are probably going to the grocery store ALREADY hungry...your sugar level is probably low and the donut or whatever you buy at the time, satisfies that urge but only for the moment. I know that it has nothing to do with depriving yourself of the foods that you want to eat. It has to do with pre-planning. You never want to go grocery shopping when you are hungry because you are setting yourself up. An option would be to maybe bring your lunch with you to work that way you dont have to worry about going to the store on your lunch break when you are already hungry. On your way home from work, maybe stop at the store and pick up your salad or snack at that time. OR you could do it on your way to work. Try and find some time that you can sit down and pre-plan what your meals are going to be that way you arent getting yourself stuck in that kind of situation. With every bite you are telling yourself to stop because you know that you should stop but you keep eating it because you are hungry.

Also what has worked for me is keeping a bar of some sort (luna, kashi, etc), in my purse that way if I am going out to do errands and get a little hungry, I know that i have my bar that I can snack on until I get home to really eat a good meal. Once you have a plan of action that you can follow, you hopefully shouldnt have that problem again.

Hope that helps.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started work where there was a canteen and devoured alot, I found the only way to stop buying all the food is to take my own and no money. If you've no reason to go to the store at lunch time you won't go and you won't buy them. Don't get me wrong- a treat is all well and good as long as it's something you genuinely want.
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I too have problems with binge eating. For me, it usually happens at night like if I'm bored or can't sleep, and I'll just go into the kitchen and get an incurable desire to eat. Like, what I'm eating isn't even good (tasting) necessarily, and yet I can't stop. It sickens me :( One of the things that I've tried to help me reason through my issues, is that, whenever I do get an urge, I ask myself "Is this X really going to make me feel any better/happier at all?" I try to realize that whatever it is will only satiate any cravings I have for however long it takes me to eat it, and then I'm right back where I started, only upset because I ate X item.

I hope that helps at all.. it's definitely a mental struggle :ohwell:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from and, like you, love my sweets and know that I dont plan on saying that "I will never have this or that" because for me that is unrealistic. I have also been in the grocery store and picked up a bag of cookies, knowing that I didnt need to have it but proceeded to buy it anyway and then on the way home, I inhaled the entire bag and by the time I pulled up to my driveway, the entire bag was gone.

The problem is you are probably going to the grocery store ALREADY hungry...your sugar level is probably low and the donut or whatever you buy at the time, satisfies that urge but only for the moment. I know that it has nothing to do with depriving yourself of the foods that you want to eat. It has to do with pre-planning. You never want to go grocery shopping when you are hungry because you are setting yourself up. An option would be to maybe bring your lunch with you to work that way you dont have to worry about going to the store on your lunch break when you are already hungry. On your way home from work, maybe stop at the store and pick up your salad or snack at that time. OR you could do it on your way to work. Try and find some time that you can sit down and pre-plan what your meals are going to be that way you arent getting yourself stuck in that kind of situation. With every bite you are telling yourself to stop because you know that you should stop but you keep eating it because you are hungry.

Also what has worked for me is keeping a bar of some sort (luna, kashi, etc), in my purse that way if I am going out to do errands and get a little hungry, I know that i have my bar that I can snack on until I get home to really eat a good meal. Once you have a plan of action that you can follow, you hopefully shouldnt have that problem again.

Hope that helps.

this

i was working late on Monday and I got really hungry.
    On my way home I was thinking what i want to eat for dinner.
    And I was craving chips and pasta and chocolate and... it was neverending list, all because I was hungry.
    Go lunch shopping after breakfast, you'll see it's much easier with full stomach.
  • stuckinlimbo1100
    Options
    Get yourself worked up for a salad! The more you imagine a "delicious" salad, the more delicious it will really start to sound! Just say no to the doughnut. I know how you feel. I love em, but you just have to try extra hard to avoid it.
    I saw a picture in a thread that said something along the lines of this:
    "6 months from now, you won't remember how that cookie tasted, but you will still see the results."
    So true.
    Remember, just don't do it. That's really all you CAN do, ya know?
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice, suggestions and responses. It is very appreciated. I love the idea of keeping stuff in my car and purse. Honestly, I should probably be shopping for food while I am eating a protien bar so I have no excuses. I usually eat one a day anyway. I think on normal days, I know these things already, but sometimes you really just need to be reminded and know your not the only one that struggles. Thanks alot :)

Good luck to all !!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My last grocery bill when I went after eating dinner: $47.65
    My last grocery bill when I went before eating dinner: $267.89