Barbell Squat v Leg Press

Options
I've just started the New Rules of Lifting programme for women which you need to do a squat with an Olympic barbell. There aren't many of these in my gym & I can never get near one when I need it.

I've seen people suggest using the leg press instead? I do other squats too usually with a kettlebell or something but can't do as heavy as I can on the leg press(45kg).

Don't these essentially work the same muscle groups? I have to say I do get sore shoulders from having a bar on my back sometimes so if I would rather use the leg press is this ok?

Replies

• paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i use the leg press... for the simple fact its easier at the moment.. ie no need for a spotter, or to ask the scary muscle dudes to move.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I hate the bar across my shoulders so use dumbbells but, having recently upped to 12.5kg dumbbells I may have to go to a bar soon. Squats will be more effective as you have to use stabilising muscles all through your body when standing, rather than isolating the leg muscles - more bang for your buck.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are similar enough for your needs.

You can also do regular squats with dumbbells in your hands instead of the bar on your shoulders.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Essentially it does work the same muscle group. But Squats... are far better for you and burns 5x more calories then the leg press does. Squats utilizes your core (abs), chest, back, hamstring. So it works the same muscle that you are targeting (quads) but Squats are a total body workout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I hate the bar across my shoulders so use dumbbells but, having recently upped to 12.5kg dumbbells I may have to go to a bar soon. Squats will be more effective as you have to use stabilising muscles all through your body when standing, rather than isolating the leg muscles - more bang for your buck.

This.

With proper position and practice, the bar won't hurt your shoulders or back. Form is of paramount importance in the squat. It's a much more technical exercise than it appears.
    http://startingstrength.com/articles/squat_rippetoe.pdf
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've just started the New Rules of Lifting programme for women which you need to do a squat with an Olympic barbell. There aren't many of these in my gym & I can never get near one when I need it.

I've seen people suggest using the leg press instead? I do other squats too usually with a kettlebell or something but can't do as heavy as I can on the leg press(45kg).

Don't these essentially work the same muscle groups? I have to say I do get sore shoulders from having a bar on my back sometimes so if I would rather use the leg press is this ok?

Back Squats, when performed correctly, are the superior exercise of the two you mentioned. KB and DB squats are fine but they do not accomplish the same thing as the Back Squat. However, if Squatting is absolutely not possible then the Leg Press is a good leg exercise but don't think of it as a replacement to the squat. I'm actually really surprised that it's easier to get on a Leg Press than a weight rack for Squatting, it's usually in reverse.

Another thing that is actually pretty decent are Bulgarian Split Squats which are performed with DB's. Not a replacement for the Back Squat but a solid exercise. If I couldn't Squat I would probably do those before doing the Leg Press, that's just my opinion though.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Squats force you to use your core as a stabilizer, but yes, they essentially work the same muscles. Leg press is probably good enough.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Not sure that this really answers your question - but it's an interesting read comparing squats to leg presses:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shannon1.htm
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just to bring up another point...

If you are doing Leg Presses, and then graduate to squats one day when the rack is open. PLEASE DO NOT put the amount of weight youleg press on the bar and try to squat it.

You will be squatting substantially less than what you leg press.

BB.COM Link posted while I was typing makes this point as well.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    There is a group here as well, feel free to join us:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

If you are doing Leg Presses, and then graduate to squats one day when the rack is open. PLEASE DO NOT put the amount of weight youleg press on the bar and try to squat it.

definately, im doing squats unweighted at the moment as i have clicky knees!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Already there :))
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They're not remotely the same exercise
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    The squat is MUCH better for you than the leg press. It incorporates many more muscles, your core and back and arms... everything else is included in the squat.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

LOL Many women couldn't lift a leg press weight off the squat rack bar! I know I can't lift my 405!
  • suebee03
    suebee03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The leg press machine is not a good alternative to squats. Squats are the better exercise. In fact, if not used properly, one could get injured using the leg press.

If the bar on your neck is uncomfortable, it is most likely positioned incorrectly. The bar should NOT be on your neck, but resting on your rhomboids, slightly below your neck.

BTW, the smith machine is an even worse alternative for squats,
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options

definately, im doing squats unweighted at the moment as i have clicky knees!

Not to highjack this thread, but when paula mentioned clicky, my thought wandered over to my knees popping every time I do squats. It makes me self-conscious and a little bit alarmed about squatting with weights--even though I'm sure that it's harmless as long as i don't feel pain.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

LOL Many women couldn't lift a leg press weight off the squat rack bar! I know I can't lift my 405!

Thank god for the manual breaks on the Hammer Strength Leg Press machines or I would've smashed my knees into my face a couple times. LOL
  • bigbugboo
    Options

Definitely this. The squat uses far more muscles and from differing angles to maintain balance and do the movement in good form. I too am doing NROLFW, and use a piece of foam pipe lagging from the plumbing merchants. It costs just a couple of £/$ for a length of it, and it works a treat to stop that ache from the bar on your shoulders. :)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The leg press machine is not a good alternative to squats. Squats are the better exercise. In fact, if not used properly, one could get injured using the leg press.

If the bar on your neck is uncomfortable, it is most likely positioned incorrectly. The bar should NOT be on your neck, but resting on your rhomboids, slightly below your neck.

BTW, the smith machine is an even worse alternative for squats,

So, if someone CAN'T do squats for some reason, you would tell them NOT to do the Leg Press as an alternative? That makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, it's no secret squats are superior, but to say the Leg Press isn't a good alternative if someone can't do squats is curious.
    Please explain your stance on that.

Oh, and if squats aren't done properly, one could also get injured, just like with every other piece of equipment in the gym, not just with the Leg Press.