I don't eat enough protein

Options
2»

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    PS if you're having trouble not getting enough protein and you're still using the MFP defaults --- you really need to work on it!
    The MFP defaults are far too low to begin with. I easily get 120-150g protein a day.
    I changed my settings to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat... eating 55% carbs a day would keep me in a carb coma.
  • Mandisd
    Mandisd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    quinoa is actually a complete protein. most people think its a grain, but according to my trainer (and my box of it) the usda actually categorizes it as a protein. i make 1 serving and add grilled chicken breast and some black beans. you can really add anything to it! i drink a lot of protein powder shakes too. i always have ground turkey in my freezer as well as grilled chicken breast, so there is always something to grab. non fat greek yogurt with berries is what i have everyday for breakfast. keep in mind that you only need 1.2 of your body weight in protein in a day. if you have too much, it could do damage to your kidneys and you pee it out anyway. hope that helps!
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have changed my settings to 40% protein, 30% fat and carbs
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    Greek yogurt (unsweetened plain nonfat) is an awesome source of protein. Personally, I don't like the flavour of the plain ones but I don't want the sugar in the flavoured ones, so I add some crystal light....ahhhh....it's amazing:smile::happy:
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good idea but do not buy Body Fortress crap from Wal-Mart unless you want gas. Go to a reputable site like bodybuilding.com and buy a good whey protein like Optimum 100 % gold standard whey. Trust me, you will be happy you spent the extra $ 10.00. If you like fish , that is a good source of protein and generally low in fat.
  • loftus2005
    Options
    Greek yogurt (unsweetened plain nonfat) is an awesome source of protein. Personally, I don't like the flavour of the plain ones but I don't want the sugar in the flavoured ones, so I add some crystal light....ahhhh....it's amazing:smile::happy:

Thanks for the idea!! I just spent $7 on a thing of Greek yogurt and couldn't STAND the taste. I tried this and it truly is AMAZING!! Almost like a treat!!!! So, for any of you out there that can't stand the taste seriously give this a try!! :flowerforyou:
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    lean meats such as chicken and turkey. Also, cheese, but in moderation. Egg beaters offer good protein along with fish.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Lentils, Beans, Milk, Eggs, Fish,
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always go over according to MFP and I'm vegetarian, my morning shake which has whey protein does it for me, but I do eat a lot of beans and greens with protein on them too. I eat eggs a few times a week as well.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find when im not hungry and havent met my protein requirements I'll have a protein shake.. . loaded with protein
  • amitch17
    amitch17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whey protein! Tastes awsome and has anywhere from 20 - 35 grams per serving.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I am not really a fan of meat, will eat fish though (tinned stuff) for most lunches. Sometimes i have almonds also. Am thinking i might have to have a protein shake to boost it. Today i only got 40 protein! Can you buy protein shakes from supermarket?

Not sure if you have that pic up because you are actually pregnant but just in case I will say, you shouldn't eat canned tuna if you are pregnant. It is really high in mercury.

Anyways.. here are some high protein recipes: :)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/low-fat-recipes

http://www.food.com/recipes/high-protein
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at these high protein recipes and they shocked me with their fat and sodium content - sound delicious but I just don't have a place for that much fat/ sodium ...

My quick trick apart from whey protein inn cereal or mixed into yoghurt, is to steam a chicken breast with salt and pepper in a bag in the microwave and snack on that during the day.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I am not really a fan of meat, will eat fish though (tinned stuff) for most lunches. Sometimes i have almonds also. Am thinking i might have to have a protein shake to boost it. Today i only got 40 protein! Can you buy protein shakes from supermarket?

Your profile pic makes me assume your pregnant so...I was wondering which fish you eat because it can be harmful. Here is a website to help...http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

Yes, most places have protein shakes but you get a better selection at specialty stores or places like Walmart. :)
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (and it's delicious). Protein shakes are good too if you get the right brand (I like EAS, Myoplex or Designer Whey), and if you have a protein shake in the morning it really helps cut down on cravings (especially for sweets) later in the day. Be warned, you really need to shake the shakes to get them to dissolve, or use a whisk.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Not sure if you have that pic up because you are actually pregnant but just in case I will say, you shouldn't eat canned tuna if you are pregnant. It is really high in mercury.

Actually, that depends on the type of tuna. There are three main types of tuna that are sold in most places - light (generally a species called Skipjack), Albacore, and Yellowfin. Yellowfin and Albacore tend to be higher in mercury (.35 ppm), while light has less than a third the amount (.1 ppm).

For fish in general, though, the rule of thumb is to avoid larger fish and predatory fish. Mercury is what's known as "bioaccumulative" toxin. That is, it gets purged from the body at a slower rate than it accumulates. Basically, small fish don't eat that has a lot of the toxin, but bigger fish eat those small fish (and eat a lot of them), and it adds up, kind of like pennies in a piggy bank -- it adds up after a while.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

http://www.chow.com/food-news/55050/what-is-chunk-light-tuna/
  • amanakos
    Options
    As everyone has said earlier... Greek Yogurt. I have a picky taste about my Greek yogurt and find that Fage and Chobani are the most delicious (Fage is a bit more expensive but different, creamier texture, and may have slightly more protein). I like to mix in fresh fruit with plain yogurt - blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries. Granola works well too, or a bit of honey. This way, you can limit your sugar intake. Plain yogurt is delicious!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of different meats ( haddock, tuna, chicken, steak) but also use protein shakes, almonds, trail mix, eggs, & egg whites. I try to avoid protein bars as they usually have a lot of sugar as well. Feel free to have a peek at my diary. I'm at 173 g so far today!