calories and low body weights

Options
i know this is an odd question, but it's late at night over here and i'm pondering! everyone's saying you have to eat 1200 cals a day else you wont lose as much weight as you could, but what happens if you're looking to go to a low body weight? girls with anorexia for example, getting down to 95 - 100lbs, surely they can't possibly do that on 1200 cals or more a day, they've got to be a lot lower. i'm so confused about it!

i've been told (by a nutritionist, and a personal trainer) that i should be looking at 14% body fat, which is in the athletic range, but i dont think i could get that low on 1200 cals or more.

pondering out loud!

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you an anorexic asking how to eat less then 1200 calories per day, or are you asking how to lower BF% in general?

There is a gal on here who is 4'11", around a 100 lbs (not anorexic) who eats 2,000+ calories per day. She has a healthy BF% as well. There is no calorie goal that will get you to a specific BF%. That is about maintaining lean body mass while losing fat in a moderate calorie deficit, or gaining muscle in a calorie surplus during a bulk cycle and then losing fat during a cutting cycle. Just because one is thin, doesn't mean they have a low BF%.

1200 calories per day is just a rather arbitrary number thrown around. It depends on the person, their activity level, and their goals.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    the problem with going below 1,200 is that your body adjusts, and then it takes forever to get your metabolism back up. i did it years ago when i wanted to lose weight fast, and it took a long time to get my metabolism back. during that time, i gained a little weight back and then had to do it the right way to get to my final goal weight.

on top of that, the extreme low cal stuff burns lean body mass as well as fat.

my recommendation is not to do it. just make a lifestyle change and lose weight by making good food choices and exercising. then when it comes time to maintain, you have enough good habits to make it sustainable.
  • yojaseyrae
    Options
    i'm confused. Are you an anorexic asking how to eat less then 1200 calories per day, or are you asking how to lower BF% in general?

no neither! i'm saying that surely eating 1200 cals a day will only get you down to a certain weight but no further? i've been thinking out loud really
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    i'm confused. Are you an anorexic asking how to eat less then 1200 calories per day, or are you asking how to lower BF% in general?

There is a gal on here who is 4'11", around a 100 lbs (not anorexic) who eats 2,000+ calories per day. She has a healthy BF% as well. There is no calorie goal that will get you to a specific BF%. That is about maintaining lean body mass while losing fat in a moderate calorie deficit, or gaining muscle in a calorie surplus during a bulk cycle and then losing fat during a cutting cycle. Just because one is thin, doesn't mean they have a low BF%.

1200 calories per day is just a rather arbitrary number thrown around. It depends on the person, their activity level, and their goals.

Very wise.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

no neither! i'm saying that surely eating 1200 cals a day will only get you down to a certain weight but no further? i've been thinking out loud really

I honestly don't think many adults need to lose weight on 1200 calories per day. And you can stop losing weight at any calorie amount - like I said, it depends on the person, their activity level, and their goals. If I ate 1400 calories per day I might lose some weight quickly at first, but I would likely stop losing weight after a while. But that's based on what I know about my activity level and TDEE. Height doesn't really matter as much as activity level does.