Help: Piercings and Working Out

Options
13»

Replies

• Tosha_Lynn
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I've been working out daily since December, and my right nipple has been super irritated- I thought it was infected, but I wasn't doing anything differently. Now I try to shower right after my workout when I can, and I use a salt rinse almost daily. It's a pain in the *kitten*, but I love my piercings!

Speaking of piercings, since this is apparently the popular place for it, I want to go from a circular barbell to a straight barbell: is this going to hurt or anything? I can't really imagine that it would, but then again, my nipples were never this sensitive pre-piercing.

My left one is a hoop and my right one is a barbell i have to keep the barbell in my right nip because the hoop bothers it and visa versa !! just make sure the barbell is short and not leaving alot of room to snag..

also if your bra is to tight or too loose it will cause the pain
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Just take care when removing tape from the area. If you take it off right after a workout or in the shower, should be okay, but try to differentiate where you place it to avoid the skin coming off. I had to do some bandaging myself and made this mistake, made it worse.

I'd also suggest getting a retainer if you can. The skulls are probably catching on your bra/shirt and pulling. I'd switch to a regular barbell, possibly a flexible plastic, so that the exposed portions are smooth instead of having areas that can catch. I would be hesitant to work out without it in only because sweat might be more likely to saturate the area, causing dryness and possible complications... As well as you may forget to put it in!

I have had my piercings for several years but unfortunately, they still try to shrink and close if I leave them out too long, and stretching them back out isn't a picnic!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

Speaking of piercings, since this is apparently the popular place for it, I want to go from a circular barbell to a straight barbell: is this going to hurt or anything? I can't really imagine that it would, but then again, my nipples were never this sensitive pre-piercing.

It shouldn't hurt ya, as long as you keep the gauge the same (don't go from a 14g to a 12g). It may be a bit tender to switch, so be prepared.

OP- Sounds like you've got everything figured out. Keep the jewelry clean, keep yourself clean. I'm iffy about taking it out every time you workout, that gets to be a pain in the *kitten* and if you don't clean everything down, could trap bacteria inside of the piercing. I would advise you to tape it down, and if it starts leaking anything, don't ignore it.
    You get bonus points from me if you tape up your nip rings with pirate band aids to workout. As far as effectiveness goes, I'm not actually sure, but the image sure does make me happy.

To other posters referring to the piercing that bothers them but only on certain exercise bikes...do you run? How was the healing while running? I swore I was going to get one as a mini-goal treat, but that was before I discovered my addiction to running, and now I'm all nail-bitey that I'll have to stop running for longer than a week to heal, and that's no good.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'll try taping it down for a bit I really don't want to have to take it out and put it in every day, it's not pleasant.

To clarify again I don't use peroxide ON the SKIN/PIERCING I take out the jewelry, soak THE JEWELRY in hydrogen peroxide and warm water to break up any build up, and then rinse with alcohol before putting it back in the nipple, I DON'T USE PEROXIDE ON MY NIP! I only use neosporin and aquaphor.

Also I've have this piercing for 12 YEARS with the skull, which is a 12g it doesn't snag, it never has and I've worked out with it before but for some reason THIS TIME around it's getting irritated.

I'll try taping and work on getting a better sports bra.

Thank you all again for your suggestions and help.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't think taking it out will work. I think it's the sweat that's agitating it. I also have my nipple pierced and my belly button but your nipple is different tissue and it's the only one that hurts... Try getting an antibacterial spray or soap, you can get them from a piercing store or like a pharmacy/drug store, and washing it/having a shower after you work out.

I do not think taking it out is a good idea at all, and will make the problem worse.

That is my two cents.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If it's swollen clean it well around the piercing 2 -3 times and apply a warm/hot wet compress like a wash cloth for 15 mins per time. It will get better in no time. Tape it down for sure. Also I would call the piercer and ask what can be done. Just in case they have any additional advice for you.
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend doing sea-salt soaks. When my piercings get irritated (or I'm healing fresh piercings) that's what I do.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Last night I took out the piercing cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and warm water covered the pierced area with neosporin and just put the piercing back in (after a dip in alcohol) which sucked but I'll just keep cleaning it and I'll definitely start covering it better. Do band-aids keep sweat out even if all you have are pirate band-aids? Because apparently all I have are pirate band-aids. i might go to the store and find something better.

You shouldn't clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. My piercer told me it erodes the skin, and doesn't help at all, it dries out the skin/kills white blood cells. I have always swore by sea salt or wound wash... 25 piercing later and those two things have always worked for me! When I was younger I messed up my belly button ring using peroxide, it never healed and now I have a ugly scar from it. (I know you're piercing is healed but if it is irritated drying it out and irritating it more will just make it worse )

Yeah, I've got 17 piercings, and I'm a retired nurse. Never clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. It will just aggravate any problems as it kills tissue. Sea salt is good for healing, but for thorough cleaning a surgical scrub like Betadine or Hibiclens. Unless you have an infection (look for red streaks traveling away from the piercing, skin warm to the touch, and thick yellow or green drainage) don't use an antibiotic like Neosporin. It's the overuse of antibiotics that is causing things like MRSA. Firmly tape down the piercings using a waterproof adhesive bandage (like these http://goo.gl/zc25q ) to protect surface piercings like nipple piercings when strenuously exercising. Better yet, if they're healed enough to leave them out while you exercise--take them out.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Last night I took out the piercing cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and warm water covered the pierced area with neosporin and just put the piercing back in (after a dip in alcohol) which sucked but I'll just keep cleaning it and I'll definitely start covering it better. Do band-aids keep sweat out even if all you have are pirate band-aids? Because apparently all I have are pirate band-aids. i might go to the store and find something better.

You shouldn't clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. My piercer told me it erodes the skin, and doesn't help at all, it dries out the skin/kills white blood cells. I have always swore by sea salt or wound wash... 25 piercing later and those two things have always worked for me! When I was younger I messed up my belly button ring using peroxide, it never healed and now I have a ugly scar from it. (I know you're piercing is healed but if it is irritated drying it out and irritating it more will just make it worse )

Yeah, I've got 17 piercings, and I'm a retired nurse. Never clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. It will just aggravate any problems as it kills tissue. Sea salt is good for healing, but for thorough cleaning a surgical scrub like Betadine or Hibiclens. Unless you have an infection (look for red streaks traveling away from the piercing, skin warm to the touch, and thick yellow or green drainage) don't use an antibiotic like Neosporin. It's the overuse of antibiotics that is causing things like MRSA. Firmly tape down the piercings using a waterproof adhesive bandage (like these http://goo.gl/zc25q ) to protect surface piercings like nipple piercings when strenuously exercising. Better yet, if they're healed enough to leave them out while you exercise--take them out.

I DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE TO CLEAN A PIERCED AREA!!!! FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME! I USE IT ON THE JEWELRY!!! THE JEWELRY WHEN I TAKE THE PIERCING OUT!!!! AND I RINSE THE JEWELRY BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK IN MY NIPPLE!!! HOLY CRAP I LOVE ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS BUT TRY READING MY RESPONSES BEFORE POSTING.

I've started taping it down and that seems to have done the trick no more pain and I just use an antibacterial soap when I shower after the gym. The Aquaphor seems to work best for making it less swollen and calming it down a bit.

The tape I use is the same one we used for my husband's surgery so it's a breathable but waterproof tape.

Taking it out before a workout is kind of a pain I may have had it for 12 years but taking it out and putting it back in everyday isn't really enjoyable and actually irritates it more.

Thank you all for your suggestions and once again I DO NOT PUT HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ON MY PIERCED NIPPLE JUST ON THE JEWELRY WHEN I REMOVE IT FROM MY NIPPLE.
  • shanapatterson1521
    Options
    This may be a stupid question but do you put the band aid vertical on the nipple or horizontal with the piercing?