Zumba shoes at home

Options
I've been bookmarking a ton of zumba videos that I'd like to try at home. What kind of shoes should I wear? I'll be on carpet if that makes a difference. I have a pair of running shoes that I was properly fitted for, not sure they would be appropriate for zumba? Thanks!

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I actually do Zumba in running shoes I was fitted for. I'm on carpet. :D
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have carpet and don't wear any shoes when I do Zumba... or any of my dance workouts....
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    When I did zumba at the gym on carpet (with running shoes) I was told that was fine, but to be super careful of my knees as the grip on the shoes might catch on the carpet, particularly with turns etc.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's likely to matter on carpet, but I have heard in the past that you want to go specifically with dance shoes or other untreaded shoes because zumba often has more side-to-side motions rather than the forward or back linear motions of running, where the treads on those shoes may make it more difficult for you. Not sure how legitimate that is, just throwing it out there.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I've been bookmarking a ton of zumba videos that I'd like to try at home. What kind of shoes should I wear? I'll be on carpet if that makes a difference. I have a pair of running shoes that I was properly fitted for, not sure they would be appropriate for zumba? Thanks!

when i try dancing barefoot on my carpet, the skin on my toes starts to peel. ive heard you can but knee his and put them over your socks to make it easier to glide on carpet, but i havent tried that yet. i think doing it in sneakes would be difficult...and on carpet, even worse.
  • :happy: Socks, but I have a pair from the offical Zumba website, the pink ones and they are amazing at the base gym and at the Y. With socks on carpet you can't go wrong.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options

URLs, my friend... please, share the URLs.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I don't think it's likely to matter on carpet, but I have heard in the past that you want to go specifically with dance shoes or other untreaded shoes because zumba often has more side-to-side motions rather than the forward or back linear motions of running, where the treads on those shoes may make it more difficult for you. Not sure how legitimate that is, just throwing it out there.

I was told this by my dance instructor when I get Zumba certified. I believe it, until i got my dance shoes i had no idea what a difference the right shoes make :) But then, i never did it on carpet.. Good luck! Zumba is a great workout :)
  • AnnaMarie456
    AnnaMarie456 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba in running shoes. Since you are on carpet I would try wearing socks, the turns would be difficult with running shoes.
  • scadoodles
    scadoodles Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i would be super careful with the running shoes on carpet.. I've twisted my knee before really bad! I just wear socks now.. .zumba isn't that intense that your feet will suffer if you don't wear shoes :) I wear socks now too!
  • phatty41
    phatty41 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was doing classes in the Library at the school here, and my Zumba girls complained a lot of hurt knees and hops from the carpet :( One of the ladies made homemade "sliders" that fit over your shoe that she made out of old seatbelts and elastic! the seatbealts were just slippery enough (bottom) and the elastic over the top. They fit right around the top of the shoe and along the ball of the foot on bottom of the shoe! The ladies loved them! I was on a woodfloor stage so I didnt get to try them, but the ladies said they worked perfectly!
  • RDalton84
    Options
    I did Zumba on the carpet for about 1 month and decided I wanted to buy the Zumba shoes. They were like $75 but worth every penny!! My knees and feet feel so much better after a work out than they did before. They also have carpet gliders that go over the toe of a regular running shoe. I found some online for $15 dollars with really cute designs. I have tried them and they work really good too on the carpet. I highly recommend either!
  • estjames
    Options
    I like doing it without shoes, but I like doing all at home workouts without shoes
  • tinkerpuppet
    tinkerpuppet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! As I want to give it a go tomorrow, I'll try it in just socks and see how it goes.

I've found all the videos on Youtube. Started by searching "zumba" and then just floated around looking at different 'suggestions". I found tons!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! As I want to give it a go tomorrow, I'll try it in just socks and see how it goes.

I've found all the videos on Youtube. Started by searching "zumba" and then just floated around looking at different 'suggestions". I found tons!

the one thing about doing it in socks is, you have no support from your shoes so its full on contact with your leg muscles and if they're not strong, you'll really REALLY feel it. i feel it every time
  • Brandybs13
    Options
    Like RDaldon said - get some sliders. The ones I like best I got at carpetsliders.net