help with the nagging sweet tooth

Options

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my sweets, starting my day with a cup of milk, bit of coffee in it and 2 spoons of sugar used to be my routine. Then I looked up the calories in it :o No wonder i never felt like actually eating breakfast after that... Then an hour or two later - gimme more sugaaaaaaar....

I started the south beach diet 4 days ago - it cuts out milk, pasta, bread, sugar, fruit - basically any easily absorbed carbs for 2 weeks. I thought it would be hell.
    But no, after 3 days i have hardly any cravings. weirdly enough i taste a veggie juice, or a piece of parsnip (i don't think that's allowed actually) and i find it's incredibly sweet...

I am not saying 'do the diet' but reading the book (or listening to the audio version of it - it's only about 2 hours) will make you look at sugars in a whole new way. the other one i read about online, but haven't started the book yet, is 'the metabolism miracle' by Diane Kress. Similar concept, different structure, maybe a slightly better explanation (judging from the website, so don't take my word for it).
    Both those diets focus on how your body reacts to sugar. and how eating too much (fast) sugar pretty much causes your blood sugar to spike, and then decline rapidly until you crave another sugar fix.
    Anyways, even if i don't go through with the 2 or 8 week plan, I have learned a lot about my eating habits.

My head still wants the milk, and the chocolate, and the pastries, but i am not physically craving them any more...
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    wow, see! I knew I could count on all you MFP'ers for tips!!! Thanks to all of you! There are some really helpful tips here and I really appreciate it! If anyone has more suggestions, please keep adding.

Thanks again for your help and caring hearts!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Does she like chocolate or more straight up sugary treats? I find that just two rectangles of Hershey's Special Dark after dinner can really help. Other times, when chocolate isn't what I seem to want, I like Twizzler's.
    call me biased (i grew up in switzerland :p) but If you're limiting yourself, you might as well buy an excellent chocolate like a dark lindt or a good belgian brand which doesn't contain waxy fillers, they really don't help the taste. as they say: 'quality, not quantity'...
    IMO over 70% cocoa is a bit too strong for a sweet craving though.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Full of chemicals, but I drink diet cola or Crystal Lite when I have that immediately-after-dinner sweet tooth that just cannot be ignored.
  • NalasMama
    Options
    These are my personal favorites to feed my very persistent sweet tooth and my solution to enjoying satisfying snacks after dinner:

• Clemmy's Sugar and Lactose free Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (160 calories for 1/2 cup)
    • Fresh Blackberries (60 calories for 1 cup)
    • **The top two treats together are heavenly and I account for this treat according to my calorie intake for that day.
    • Blue Diamond Chocolate Almond Milk- Sweetened (1/2 cup is 60 calories)

My absolute favorite is the sugar-free ice cream with fresh blackberries tossed in the bottom of the bowl. It is a great after dinner treat that completely rids of my sweet tooth and does so before 7pm when I cut off all food intake for the day. To me it is worth all 220 calories to get the "sweet tooth" monkey off my back. I've also made a Cherry Coke Zero float with the ice cream and then I only have added 200 calories for my after sinner treat. I make sure to adjust my calories for the day to accommodate this "special treat" after dinner. I will even take my dog for an extra walk in anticipation of enjoying this "have to have" snack. Many times just the cup of blackberries can satisfy my sweet tooth with just a mere 60 calories. Clemmy's Sugar-free ice cream is surprisingly creamy and very tasty. I feel it is even better than the Breyers brand. Of course I have many food allergies so once I find something I enjoy I will stick to it. I will kill any hunger pains I may experience with an ice-cold bottle of water that has been sitting in the freezer for 30 minutes if it's after 7pm.

As one of the other members posted... everyone is different, and may have more or less calories they can enjoy throughout the day so it may be a good idea to try a few different snacks each day to get a feel for which ones really satisfy that "monster of a sugar tooth" craving. I was pleasantly surprised to find how tasty a sugar free ice cream can really be while completely satisfying my need for sweets after dinner.

:smile:
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • naepal
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have to have chocolate! Since I've been keeping track of what I eat now I've trimmed down on the sweets but I still haven't given up chocolate. I don't believe that you have to forgo sweets just because you're on a diet. I still eat brownies and chocolate but I make sure that I have the points left over to do it.

I keep my sweet tooth in line by the Skinny Cow brand by Nestle. They have Milk chocolate dreamy clusters that are *awesome*! For a 1oz package of the Dreamy clusters they are 120 calories. I have one after lunch and dinner and still have points over to eat a Little Debbie brownie if I want.

Also, the 3 Musketeers bite sized bars are 70 calories each. 2 is 140 calories 3 is 210 calories. 17 M&M's are 180 calories. You can have your sweets and diet too! Good luck and have fun!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Snack wells 100 cal yogurt pretzels.... OMG amazing!:wink:
  • iskyoork
    Options
    York mini Peppermint patties. 3 are only 150, and you get chocolate. Yum.
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat fiber one 90 calorie brownies. They are awesome
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of sugar free fudge pops in my freezer they are only 40 calories each and really helps with the chocolate cravings. My son likes them too so he never asks me for ice cream.
  • RachelLovesHockey
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder in skim milk. Love it.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Chew gum! Extra has Dessert Delight gum - apple pie, orange cream, key lime pie, strawberry shortcake, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. That's what I always chew when I want something sweet. It's like eating a big bowl of ice cream for only 5 calories. It's wonderful.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Try Extra Dessert Delights sugar-free gum:
    • Strawberry Shortcake
    • Mint Chocolate Chip
    • Key Lime Pie
    • Orange Crème Pop
    • Apple Pie
  • Dopey12400
    Dopey12400 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink the great value sugar free lemonade. It fills me up and it helps me with my sweet tooth, without the calories.
  • amystpierre
    amystpierre Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream amazing taste low cals!!!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It really depends if she craves anything in particular or sweets in general. I HIGHLY recommend Philly Swirls Delights. They are like a dreamsicle and come in orange & cream, cherry & cream, and grape & cream. Best part is, they're only 14 calories. She might want to give these a try.

where could she find these at? are they in the frozen isle at any store?

Yep! I've found them at Wal-mart, Wegman's, Giant Eagle, and K-Mart.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything as I have major sweet tooth so now I am on 'sugar balance' pills, you have one with your meal to stop your craving the sugar. I think they are bascially just chromium and balance out your blood sugar.

So far so good :)
  • reneealyse
    Options
    Chromium helps to balance blood sugar levels which in turn helps to reduce sugar cravings. You can buy it on it's own at a pharmacy or sometimes in a supermarket otherwise it is contained in many women's multi vitamins.

If she doesn't want to take those, a cup of tea after dinner works for me or brush her teeth straight after dinner, everything becomes less appetising with a minty fresh mouth