Vegan microwave popcorn?

Options
Hi all,

So that light/low-fat microwave popcorn is one of my absolute STAPLES...it's such a good snack and is filling, so I eat it while studying. I'm trying to transition into a mostly vegan diet and I'm trying to find a (cheap) microwave popcorn that doesn't have butter on it.

Any ideas? Has anyone just tried making popcorn in a pan themselves? Is it easy/healthy/cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

<3 spinachdiva

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Popcorn without Butter????? Yuck, might as well eat some cardboard. It has about the same taste as popcorn w/o butter of some sort.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people making their own microwave packs with oil and seeds. You'll need to use a brown paper bag and a staple.... something to look into!
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    ...okay, comments about how gross my food choices are tend to not be so helpful :) so no more of those, please.

hey! i'm all about DIY-ing it...i'll look into that, thanks!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with a microwave popcorn without butter ( most have some kind of butter flavoring even if there is no butter on them)

But if you make fresh pop corn, you should sprinkle nutritional yeast on it, so delicious!! ( it gives it a cheesy flavor)
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher makes a line of microwave popcorn called Orville Redenbacher Natural. Some of the varieties contain just popcorn, oil, and salt. There is one that is a reduced fat version that only has 120 calories per serving. As long as the oils used are vegetable oils, this popcorn should be contain no animal products.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    these suggestions are fab. thanks all!
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    Buy a popcorn machine.. You can get them cheap for lke $20.. buy a bag of kernels.. and pop them. No butter. No salt. 100% air popped goodness
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    http://www.squawkfox.com/2010/07/27/popcorn-recipe-gourmet-popcorn/

Olive oil is tasty on popcorn. No need for the butter. :smile:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper and eat air popped corn with different toppings. You can flavor it with a lot of non-butter spices, condiments, etc.

Use your imagination.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know Albertsons store brand Kettle Corn microwave popcorn is vegan. Might want to look at your store's brand if Albertsons isn't around you.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend, I had some popcorn that had olive oil, liquid aminos and nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeasts tasts kinda cheesy, so it is definitely a good addition. You could also add spices: paprika etc. Also pop it in coconut oil. It tastes so buttery.

There was an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown made popcorn with a paper bag and kernels. I tried it and it worked OK. I didn't get the heat perfect, but I had a crappy microwave. :)

But popcorn is cheap, you can experiment till you find a combo you like.
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like Smart Pop from Orville.....Does butter "flavor" still count as vegan? I'm not sure since I am not vegan myself, but it's a great low-calorie popcorn. Here are the ingredients:

Orville Redenbacher's, Microwave Organic Smart Pop Butter
    Popcorn

INGREDIENTS: Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Organic Popping Corn, Organic Palm Oil (Adds a Trivial Amount of Fat), Salt, Less Than 2% of Natural Flavor, Color Added, Freshness Preserved with Tocopherols.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I just found out 2 days ago you can make it with kernels with out oil or bags! Put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels (I used the generic/store brand) in a pyrex bowl, put a plate on top and microwave about 2.5 to 5 minutes. (Microwaves vary blah, blah,blah) Presto! Fat free popcorn. It's like magic.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher makes a line of microwave popcorn called Orville Redenbacher Natural. Some of the varieties contain just popcorn, oil, and salt. There is one that is a reduced fat version that only has 120 calories per serving. As long as the oils used are vegetable oils, this popcorn should be contain no animal products.

I like these. Especially the salt and pepper one. :)
  • PodWif
    PodWif Posts: 16
    Options
    We just learned how to do this and you will likely not ever go back to store bought microwave when you see how easy and cheap it is.

Place 1/4 cup of popcorn kernals in a brown paper bag and fold the top closed a couple of times (you can staple or tape, but you don't need to, also you can add some olive oil 1 tsp but you really don't even need to do that) once you don't hear it popping after 4 seconds pull it out. You can even reuse the brown paper bag if you want to make big patches. This way you can always eat it plain or season however you want.

If you want to make your popcorn kettle korn then after it's popped add 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar. Re-fold bag and shake vigorously. If not sweet enough add a bit more sugar and nuke for 30 seconds longer and shake again. Enjoy.
  • skippyninja
    Options
    Vegan popcorn?

I mean come on... really? not going at all too far?

I can understand people don't like to eat something that bleeds or cutting down on crap for a diet but kinda boarder line going too far lol....

life is still here to be enjoyed people... don't lose focus on that
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I saw this bowl thing when I was at target today and it was for microwaving popcorn. You might look into that and you can make your own microwave popcorn.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Vegan popcorn?

I can understand people don't like to eat something that bleeds or cutting down on crap for a diet but kinda boarder line going too far lol....

It isn't your place to judge the diets of other people. Butter doesn't have to be smeared on everything for it to be enjoyable.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Vegan popcorn?

A vegan diet is a personal choice, and no, its not going too far.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Buy a popcorn machine.. You can get them cheap for lke $20.. buy a bag of kernels.. and pop them. No butter. No salt. 100% air popped goodness

Thats what I've got and you get great popcorn, (Spongbob popcorn machine I think it was $19)