LA Fitness?

Hi all,

I am thinking of switching to a larger gym. My little gym is overcrowded during my new off hours, and I'm looking at LA Fitness as their membership rates are similar to what I pay now, and they have a lot of included (free) classes and access to a pool. Does anyone have experience with LA Fitness?

Anything I should know?

Replies

• PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a member for over a year. I love the classes because the trainers always make them different so you don't get board. I love Body Works, Zumba, Spin and Step. I need to try Boot Camp...it scares me alittle.

I want to take an Aqua Fit class..but they look alittle boring and the classes at my location seems to be full of people who look like my parents......no offense to people who look like my parents :wink:

Enjoy!!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    As an early morning guy, I found their weekend hours to be totally sucky! They don't open until 7:30 on Sat & Sunday (at least mine didn't). Weekdays were fine (open at 4:30 or 5:00 AM).

Other than that, they were fine. No more or less crowded than the other big chain gyms in my area.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    As an early morning guy, I found their weekend hours to be totally sucky! They don't open until 7:30 on Sat & Sunday (at least mine didn't). Weekdays were fine (open at 4:30 or 5:00 AM).

Other than that, they were fine. No more or less crowded than the other big chain gyms in my area.

Good to know!

Do you ever go in the evenings? How is it after normal work hours?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a member for over a year. I love the classes because the trainers always make them different so you don't get board. I love Body Works, Zumba, Spin and Step. I need to try Boot Camp...it scares me alittle.

I want to take an Aqua Fit class..but they look alittle boring and the classes at my location seems to be full of people who look like my parents......no offense to people who look like my parents :wink:

Enjoy!!!

Yeah, my gym now is a very small one, and they don't offer classes. Looking forward to being able to do that.
  • I'm on my second round of Groupon day passes at LA Fitness, but I'm hesitant to join because I'm a runner and would only likely go a couple of times a week for cross/strength training. Nice clean facilities but crappy weekend hours. I tried to go on a Saturday last week and they closed a 4pm!!!! Also, they are constantly trying to sell you things which I find incredibly annoying. But if that doesn't bothr you, then go for it!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    I was a member for about a year and had no problems, as long as I went on off-peak hours. During peak hours the gym is so packed, you can't get close to anything. Now beware of their Professional Rep Counters they try to pass off as personal trainers. Unless things have changed, or you actually get someone with national certification, you get someone that has attended the personal training class for LA Fitness and is blessed with the power to train. They typically bring you to a machine, set a weight for you, count out loud, and move you to another machine....that's not training.
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    I was a member and it was a nightmare. I'm sure other people have really great experiences and truly love it but I hated it. I had a trainer who told me to get motivated by telling my husband to tell me I'm fat. Plus, she had serious saddlebags. Another trainer insisted on having me do exercises that exacerbated my back pain and got huffy when I told him I was unable to do it (I have a serious back injury from a car accident when I was little). I just always felt like I was on display doing these ridiculous exercises that I hated. I actually ended up taking up a beef with the BBB and won, if that tells you anything.

Now, I go to a locally owned gym (but they have several) and I love it. The trainers are all so fit and every single one of them makes me feel welcome and they are so good at motivating me. They're genuinely nice and they make a point to call me by my name. I can't imagine going anywhere else!!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    I am a member and I love it.
  • I love my membership more since I started with a Personal Trainer in January. He is a competition winner for maximuscle and really knows his stuff - I gave him my goal and we are working together to get there. Before him, I felt I was doing a good job but to be honest the really basic programme I was given was very weak and bland but probably wouldn't have given me any results so I would have got fed up and stopped going by now. I can't really afford a PT but I am SO GLAD I made the effort to do it - I have learned so much about the science of working out, nutrition, and he is always on hand for questions. Once I reach my goal I will still make a point of seeing him once every couple of weeks or so because I am so motivated and don't want to lose that. I have never been so determined about changing myself and can't say enough good things about my experience now.
  • I had a Bally membership and they got bought by LA Fitness a few months ago. I was not pleased with the change initially but now I am TEAM LA FITNESS all the way! I love LA Fitness simply because of the variety of the group classes. My favorites are Zumba, Kickboxing, Bodyworks, Hip Hop, and Belly Dancing. I also like that I live in close proximity to several locations. There are 3 that I can be at within 15-20 minutes and I go to all of them throughout the week for different classes. If you aren't interested in classes and only want to use the machines, you may find a smaller 24 hour type gym a better fit.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I joined LA Fitness at the beginning of the year and absolutely LOOOOOVE it! I waas at Planet Fitness and it was adequate but all the variety at LA Fitness has helped me stay on track so much better. I love being able to try new stuff with the free classes, the access to the pool ( I swim almost every day now), the hot tub, etc.
  • shygirlnot4u
    shygirlnot4u Posts: 26 Member
    I was an LA Fitness member and I loved it! unfortunately I didn't take advantage of the free classes. but at my gym they also gave massages and they even gave free food. the healthy options a very good variety. unfortunately I moved and there isn't an LA fitness nearby. I joined ballys with my husbands membership but I did hear that LA Fitness bought some ballys gyms.