Do you have to eat extra calories earned whilst exercising?

Options
:drinker:

Replies

• jenniferwren
    Options
    :drinker: :laugh: I'm not sure, I have once and haven't twice :bigsmile:
  • Cross_fitter
    Options
    once your body gets used to ta regular and fairly intense exercise regime it is important to boost your calorie intake with the correct calorie mix, protein and complex carbs. When you don't that's when you plato. Increasing calories gives your metabolism another kick up the butt (so to speak) to burn more fuel and thus, more calories.
    ....Eat more frequently. Skipping meals can also slow down your metabolism and your ability to lose weight, according to the Food Standard Agencies. Skipping breakfast is particularly damaging, as your body has already been without food for hours while you were sleeping. Aim for five to six small meals a day, even if you're not hungry. This will force your body to work harder to process food, in turn increasing metabolism.....

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/269485-eating-more-calories-to-boost-metabolism/#ixzz1lspKB3Ks
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You should eat some of them. The deficit to lose is already built in.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    no. I wait at least an hour after or I'll puke it up
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat exercise calories. You can do what suits you.
  • HLAMODEI
    HLAMODEI Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Typically, I don't eat all of them. I tend to work out later in the day, mostly after kids are in bed, so once I'm done, it's 8-9pm, and I'm just not hungry. I guess my moral is, I eat when I'm hungry and until I'm full and try to make good choices. Hope this helps.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Please ignore the rude people who can only give "clever" (???) answers. Some people do and some don't. The way MFP works, any exercise cals are extra if your activity level is set at sedentary. In this case you should eat at least some of them back if not all. For me, it means if i exercise more i feel I can eat a little more. I am still steadily losing weight so it's working for me.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to get from here to there. There is no right or wrong. What works for one may not work for another. What is important is you understanding what your body needs and then feeding it the right way. It's a learning process much deeper than eating exercise calories. Barring any medical concerns, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

I aim for 1g protein and .35g fat per lb of bodyweight as minimums. From there I eat however I want. Some days I will have a rather large 1.5k+ deficit or maybe I'll eat in a 1.5k surplus. Ive been doing weekly calorie averages and it works for me. You've got to figure out what works for you.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Please ignore the rude people who can only give "clever" (???) answers. Some people do and some don't. The way MFP works, any exercise cals are extra if your activity level is set at sedentary. In this case you should eat at least some of them back if not all. For me, it means if i exercise more i feel I can eat a little more. I am still steadily losing weight so it's working for me.

thank you so much, it's very offputting as a newbie when the 'experts' start chuntering on - how I would love to know everything and not give a stuff about anyone elses feelings, must be very liberating :smile:
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    You should eat some of them. The deficit to lose is already built in.

thank you :smile:
  • jenniferwren
    Options

thank you so much, it's very offputting as a newbie when the 'experts' start chuntering on - how I would love to know everything and not give a stuff about anyone elses feelings, must be very liberating :smile:

not in this message board per se, but having looked round some of the other ones :frown: