What can I do to work up to 30 DS?

Options
Ok, so I didn't even get through the first set of exercises this morning before I quit. I am SO NOT READY for 30 DS. Can someone tell me what would help me work up to this? I have WII FIT PLUS, all 3 Just Dance, a treadmill and weights.

I am thinking of hitting the treadmill walking every other day and 2 days (the other days) lifting hand weights and doing squats.

Any suggestions would be great.

42 and about 25 lbs overweight. Never did much exercise but need to start.

Thanks!

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Do as much as you can, and then the next day maybe you can go a little more. I still can't do a push-up to save my life, but I do them at an incline on the kitchen counter. So do what you can...and the rest will fall into place with time. Who cares if it takes longer than 10 days to move on?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just dive in and DO it.... do as much of each exercise as you can. Take a 5 second breather and continue. It takes a lot of willpower and determination to complete it, but you CAN do it.

Also, follow the modified moves. If you can't do a push up, do them on your knees... as you bulid yourself up and get stronger do as many as you can "regular" and switch to the modified move if you have to.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yeah do as much as you can, stop when you need to and do the easier versions for a while and you'll build yourself up to it. If you can only do 10 seconds of jumping jacks, do the boxing for the rest, just keep moving.
    Then when you are feeling more up to it start counting your 10 days if you want, you can always do your own easier versions or any of the exercises, I do, I'm on level 3 and i still have to do easier skipping, I alternate legs when skipping rather than skipping with both legs, something about skipping just doesnt agree with me!
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. i could only do 3 girly pushups day one. Day 12 I could do 13. And take as many breaks as long as you want. Jillian will tell you not to break for more than 5 seconds but I'd sit and drink water for a few minutes. It's just a dvd she can't yell at you or slap you :)
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Like the others said don't give up!!! I finished the whole 30 day shred but did the " easy " version of push ups.....Just do what you can and try for another minute the next day!! So worth it!!! Good Luck!!!
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get through it two weeks ago and I can do it now. 40 years 30 pounds overweight. Do a little more each time. First time I stopped at 11 minutes.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    . It's just a dvd she can't yell at you or slap you :)

lol so true! But we can say whatever we want to her!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I could only do it for 6 minutes the first time - that wasn't even through the first set. I gave up for 2 months and then went back to it. When I went back to it I pushed myself to get at least as far.... I took breaks, I did it slower, I definitely did the "lower" impact stuff... I didn't do nearly the amount of jumping jacks as she requested due to arthritis in my shoulder... and in a month I was through Level 1.

I didn't do it every day... but I got to the point where I felt good about it... I mastered each exercise separately and then when I could master them all together that is when I felt it was okay to move on to the next level.

You are worth this.

I am 47 and over 100 pounds overweight when I started MFP... I have lost 64 pounds and I am still going. I started my exercise by using Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs... and I just mixed them up.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I even punch her face during squat punches! lol
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. i could only do 3 girly pushups day one. Day 12 I could do 13. And take as many breaks as long as you want. Jillian will tell you not to break for more than 5 seconds but I'd sit and drink water for a few minutes. It's just a dvd she can't yell at you or slap you :)

Lol! True, she can't yell or slap, but every time at the part where she says "Don't you quit!" during the bicycle crunches, I just KNOW she's directing that at me!!
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I even punch her face during squat punches! lol
    I love all these its so true! Im a day 2 and its killing me but I know its working...just take it day by day and break when you need it. Also the Leslie Sansone walking dvds are great too:)
  • debee2000
    Options
    Well the itty bitty bit I did do this week on just the first day, I am still feeling it. I have not returned to it because of my work schedule and also that I won't be able to do it next week because I have surgery tomorrow (oral). I am not to exert myself after to not hinder the healing.

That doesn't mean I won't do SOMETHING. I am looking along the lines of walking and strength training. In fact, I planned on walking yesterday during lunch but had no lunch :(. I plan on it today, though.

THanks for all the support and keep moving!
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    I am 233 pounds and I did the first day of week 1 on Tuesday (I am doing every other day due to running program) and I just pushed through if I couldnt do the exercise I walked or jogged in place (if it was cardio). You just have to push through. I am doing it again today. You can do it as many time as you want and then move on when you are ready. If I can do it, you can do it. Just push through and you will get there. Be sure to drink plenty of water and get your protein. You will be sore at first but your body will rebuild those muscles and you won't feel sore at all.
    Good luck :happy:
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just dive in and DO it.... do as much of each exercise as you can. Take a 5 second breather and continue. It takes a lot of willpower and determination to complete it, but you CAN do it.

Also, follow the modified moves. If you can't do a push up, do them on your knees... as you bulid yourself up and get stronger do as many as you can "regular" and switch to the modified move if you have to.

THIS!
  • kjmommie
    kjmommie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dont give up !!! try to do as much as you can this is a process so its not going to come easy . However you can do it :smile: Im on day 13 level 2 now and I feel like punching Jillian out but its SOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it :smile: