Slimfast

Options
I am 5'7 and 165lbs. I want to be 150lbs in 3 months. i am on my fourth day of the slimfast diet and am already raving chocolate and cakes. Does anyone have any tips to help me? Is my goal unreasonable? Has anyone done the slimfast diet before and been succesful or unsuccesful and why? Really need some support....
Thanks all

Replies

• healthylife1001
    Options
    I personally don't believe in the slimfast diet. My friend did it and same thing happened to her. She ended up spending so much on the products on top of that. I believe in exercise and eat right rule. Just eat around your BMR and add exercise. If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Oh and if you are craving something, take a small bite because if you keep "restricting" yourself, you'll end up mindlessly eating it. I did that before. Now if I want candy for example, I'll eat a fun size kit kat bar or something and keep my mind happy but still stay in the calorie range. I use hot chocolate and vitatop muffins and fiberone brownies to help my chocolate cravings too. I use fruit if I'm just craving something sweet and not chocolate in particular.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have to agree...the problem with all of those diets is that once you stop, you tend to gain the weight back. What you ought to try and do instead is count the calories in regular solid food (eating real, whole food will also help with cravings). Find healthier alternatives and substitutes for your favorite recipes, and restrict your portion size. And find a workout plan that you can happily stick with. Your goal seems reasonable, but the only way to keep it up after the 3 months is to permanently modify your lifestyle to maintain your new weight.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I only use the Slimfast shakes for mornings when Im running late and dont have time to make a decent breakfast. Its better than running thru a drive thru on the way to work or school. Your best bet on losing that weight is the use portion control and adding more whole foods to your diet. And exercise.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've used it but not everyday, my worry was as soon as i started eating normally the weight would pile back on. I like the chocolate shakes for helping my cravings.. if they are bad I'll have choc shake first thing in morning, you can have 3 x 100 cal snacks as well you know and slim fast do some choc bars which may help with your cravings? sometimes I have a hot choc made with milk at night too as one of my 100 cal snacks. Snack-a-jacks do double choc chip rice cakes for 62 cals and only 7% fat.

Get a small 100 cal dairy milk bar or something to have as one of your snacks and have fruit or a light yoghurt as your other 100 cal snacks. There's a small carton of soup that is 99cals called covent garden soups, you could have one of those with your lunch time shake?

Those are my tricks when I'm having a slim fast day and dinner will be salad or vegetables with fish (no additional carbs) its not always 500 cals but if need be I have a bit of fruit or yoghurt as part of my 500 cal dinner allowance.

Twice a week I have a spike day and eat what I want, I usually save sunday as one of my spike days as I love a sunday roast with yorkshire puds! .. and have the other midweek... stop body thinking its starving and lowering my metabolism.. I exercise as well.

I make allowances PMT week for extra choc but I do extra session of exercise too at least 500 cals burned to compensate, and still lose a few pound after the water has come off.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have a shake sometimes in the morning with some fruit...but I did the whole diet, lost some weight and gained it back....so now I go by what mfp suggests. I do have the SF snack bars (100 cals) the PB/choc one is yummy.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I also tried the slimfast diet and it didn't work. Instead buy whey protein powder and make your own shakes. Much better for you as slimfast shakes have a lot of additives. Add frozen fruit and fiber, add OJ and ice, etc - you can make so many varities. More protein and more filling then slimfast shakes. Just my opinion.
  • In 2004 I was a single mom and I lost almost 100 lbs on the slimfast plan. It was different then - "easy options plan" so you ate a lot more real food then the plan I see they advertise now. If I'm understanding the current plan right it's hardly any calories! 1200 and I'd starve! (I am a big lady though). The cost of the shakes was so much cheaper then food - I could get the shakes at around 50 cents between sales and coupons and I just couldn't do a meal at that price (at least without a lot of time and effort which at the time I didn't have)

Here is what I ate at the time:

breakfast: shake and a fruit

snack: any 100-150 calorie snack - normally I'd grab some almonds if they'd been on sale or a light yogurt with a few raisins

lunch: shake and 200 calories of healthy food (I'd make a small salad or 1/2 sandwich - if I had light bread I could do a whole sandwich)

snack: any 100-150 calorie snack - sometimes it'd be their snack bars but that depended on sales and coupons

Dinner: 500 calories - I didn't count them I just used the balanced plate method (1/4 protein, 1/4 complex carbs, 1/2 veggies) then I'd add a glass of skim milk or sometimes a fat free suger free pudding I made with skim milk.

snack: 100 calorie - I always had the bag of popcorn for this.

For me it worked wonderfully - I Lost exactly 100 lbs in 9 months. Kept it off another year - then of course got pregnant - threw all my habits out the window and craved (and ate) fried chicken for 9months. My son is 5 now and I haven't re-lost the weight because I haven't been committed like I need to be.
  • bevhols
    bevhols Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I lost quite a bit of weight using Slimfast ... unfortunately, like so many others I regained the weight back, plus ... Since August I have not been "DIETING", but rather using MFP and eating healthy BUT having a small portion of something I really love and not beating myself up for it. I do have some "Wonderslim Bars" and Wonderslim Shakes, but I use them as quick take alongs on days when time doesn't permit much else ... they are not the primary part of my daily food intake and not every day ... oatmeal, whole grain breads, lots of veggies, meat, beans, milk, yogurt in great variety now are what my husband and I eat ...
  • empoweringlifeb
    Options
    I also don't believe in the Slimfast diet. Check the ingredients out. They are not designed for long term weight loss. Also, diet is not the goal. It is lifestyle change. READ, READ, READ!!! Cut out processed foods, dairy, anything white. Eat more veggies, less meat, lots of water. Get an accountability partner to help you through the tough times. If you want a meal replacement, find a healthy protein shake that is right for you. I use Shakeology, and Sun Warrior protein. I hope this helps. Good luck.

(edited to remove link)
  • My pet peeve is when people say "well once you go off of it you will gain the weight back". Well, that is true of ANYTHING!!! I mean if you eat clean and then stop you will gain the weight back. If you log at MFP and then stop you will gain the weight back. No matter what you do you HAVE to have a plan for maintaining once you've lost the weight. Often the plan isn't the same - but you have to have a plan. Even if you do beachbody or weight watchers or just plain old counting calories - if you get to your goal weight and go "okay I'm done now" you'll gain it back. Slimfast has a sensible plan for maintaining, many plans do. You just have to do it :)

But if you are using the slimfast plan and it's not feeling good for you then for sure do something else! Life is too short to spend it with cravings and hunger. The key is to just find what makes your body feel good yet still produces results! That's easier said then done, huh?
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started out late last fall on Slim Fast, and I am still using it off and on. I started out at 155 and I'm down to 125, I do think with my diet and working out it was a good fit for me. Instead of two shakes a day I am down to one. But after a workout sometimes I might grab one. I followed it to a T! But the more I worked out I needed to add something more to keep my energy up. I love Slim Fast and would use it again, and again. You can add me as a friend, and see my before and after pics on my profile. I still have some weight to go. But I joined mfp in Jan and have lost another 10 pounds since joining. Now I add in my Slim Fast with my weight watchers, or whatever it is healthy I am eating. Slim Fast keeps me from snacking, I love it! But I get so tired of it at times.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have some of the 3-2-1 meal bars, but only because I saw them cheap and thought they would be good alongside an apple or something as an easy lunch if I'm rubbish and don't get round to making a packed lunch for work.

I don't think I could go on their plan full time, as according to the writeup on the boxes I have, it doesn't seem like it would give you enough calories each day - I think I worked it out at around 1000. I think if I were to try it then I would have too big a deficit each day, and for that reason I don't think i'd be able to stick with it for any length of time.

I'm happy just logging my food on here and counting the calories. I'm one of those strange people that loves to make lists of things, and see numbers and trends, and have a specific goal that I can see if I've hit or missed each day, which is exactly what this site gives me :smile:
  • I think the above poster is right (I still don't know how to quote right!) - it comes down to what works for you. I HATE logging food. I'd rather someone just say: eat this and this and do it at this time. I hate numbers, I don't have any way to log food mobil so when I am logging I feel like I'm spending all day rebooting the laptop. I do it because I have to but I try to make it as simple as possible by eating the same foods over and over. I have always had my most success when I've employed meal replacements as I don't have to debate, think, research - just say "okay here is my lunch!". I try to balance it with a home made dinner and snacks but even then I tend to do the same snacks each day just because I don't want to have to log anything new! Never been a number or list person. However if someone says: you must eat this here and here, that I can totally do and easily stick with.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I have a slimfast I usually have one at lunch time and I dip apple slices in peanut butter to go with it! It's quick and easy and usually pretty filling. I also use the powder and put frozen fruit in it to make a smoothie!
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    In my opinion, anything that is making you crave other fattening foods is not for you. I agree with other posters who have said - YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE. If you don't you will certainly gain back everything you have lost PLUS more. Also, you have to do what works for you. I have a protein shake (Body by Visalus) for breakfast. It fills me up and there are endless recipes that I can use with just one powder so I will NEVER get bored (if I crave chocolate I add unsweetened chocolate pudding). It is something I can (and intend to) do for the rest of my life. It is delicious and filling and actually takes away the sweet cravings. I also use it as a protein drink after work outs. Will there be mornings when i don't have my shake? Absolutely!! Sometimes I have one for lunch or for supper. But I know that it will be a staple in my diet forever - because I have committed to making a LIFESTYLE change and not just dieting.

Most importantly - Do what work for you and if it doesn't - Change it!!
  • cheeky_charlie_94
    cheeky_charlie_94 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the posts guys. I don't think i'm gonna follow the plan too strictly. I think I might exchange shakes for meals maybe two days a week (still calorie controlled) but just so i don't feel i'm not getting enough solid foods. Do you think this is a good idea?
    (By the way, please add me so we can support each other)