I dont like to work out, please help

Options
I will bluntly say I do not like to work out. What do I do, where do I start? What will I like? I do not have a lot of friends to walk with or nothing like that. I like music, I do not have a gym membership. Is there a way to lose weight without working out? I'd love to hear from you, ideas, help needed.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a calorie deficit (MFP calculates this for you based on how much you want to lose per week), you will lose weight without exercise.

I also do not like to work out, but I am forcing myself to do it a few times per week and it really is getting easier to do. Are you able to get a gym membership? I can easily put my headphones on and zone out to music while on a cardio machine (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, etc.) and next thing I know I've been working out for 30 min. to an hour without a problem. There are also classes available at a lot of gyms and you may enjoy one of those. I also like to shop, so I will walk around the mall a few times a week with a pedometer on and end up walking several miles just doing what I love.

Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I thought I didn't like to work out either. But, I forced myself to do it and after about 3-4 weeks, I found myself liking it. Now, If I don't exercise, I don't feel good.
    Try some exercise DVDs that you can do at home. There are some good ones from The Firm and The Biggest Loser. They both offer good cardio/strength training workouts. I do videos from these companies regularly.
    Check out some local gyms to see if there are any pay-as-you-go classes. I go to a local gym for a spinning class once a week - I pay class-by-class. It's cheaper than a membership!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out. But you will not be as firm as if you had worked out. You will have to eat less than if you had worked out. And you likely will not be healthy as if you had worked out.

If you like music, I'd suggest trying Zumba. It's really fun and a great workout and is available in classes, video games or DVD.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You like music. If the house is empty, put on some great music; loud and dance yourself dizzy. Its a great calorie burner
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight without working out? Sure. However IMO you will look like a deflated tire. There is a thing as "skinny-fat" and that's someone who weighs less but still has a lot of body fat.

Skinny-fat people also have health risks.

So really the question to pose is... what do you hate more? Being fat? Or working out?
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    I hate working out. The Jillian Michaels DVD's are what I use. I have done the 30 Day Shred and I just started Ripped in 30. They are only about 30 minutes long and I do it 3-4 times a week. That's it.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am also not the biggest fan of working out but I've finally found something that I like to do. It's a website, bodyrock.tv, where they post 10-12 minute workout videos almost everyday. The videos are super easy to follow with step by step instructions and modifications for those just starting out and those who are more advanced. It's all free and the only thing you need is some floor space and an interval timer. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get started since the workouts are so short. Add me if you want.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised once you try out a few things! Like LoraF83, I thought I hated it too but once I got into a nice routine and started trying out the different machines at the gym and some workout DVDs, I got more excited about working out. If you don't want to invest too much money, check your local library and online video sites for workouts. Not sure if you like dancing but Hip Hop Abs and Zumba are both a ton of fun and great for beginners. Leslie Sansome's Walk Away the Pounds videos are good too. And of course there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned walk outside.

When I first started out, I like doing weights more than cardio. So, with the advice of my friend who's a personal trainer, I'd do at least 10 minutes of cardio to get my blood flowing and then I'd do weights. A couple of times a week I'd do a bit more cardio but since the machines bored me, I'd only do 10 minutes on each.

Try several things and mix it up on a regular basis to keep yourself interested. Good luck!

ETA: good diet to lose weight, exercise for better health
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't like to work out but was lucky in that i had friends who arranged to go jogging with me - stuck at it for the best part of 2 years too - but can honestly say that i hate jogging i really do and it was a relief to finally give up doing it.
    have also been member of various gyms - used to feel intimidated a lot of the time...

then i found Zumba -it's really just a more dancey form of aerobics - but after the first 5 or 6 sessions (as it is a little confusing at first) i came to love it - and look forward to my 3 classes a week now :-)
    if you like music and like dancing - salsa is also a good way to exercise - we've got classes near us where you can just go (you don't need a partner to dance with as they do a kind of round robin thing)

so maybe you just need to find the right sort of exercise?
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I used to HATE working out, was the kind of kid who forged my own "kirsty can't take part in gym class because..." letters

I started off with swimming, aqua aerobics and walking on the treadmill. Took it slow. At that point I couldn't even do 5 mins on the elliptical machine because my knee hurt while doing so. I built it up over a few months then started taking part in classes of aerobics and body pump

Swore I would never step foot in a spin class, been nearly a year and a half since I started them and I love them now, yes they are hard work but I love to feel the burn, I love the adrenaline rush you get after and it all makes me feel alive and I have lots more energy when I exercise than when I don't.

I now attend 2 spin classes, 1 body attack, 1 body combat and 1 body pump class a week as well as hitting the fitness suite on a Friday

Wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!

Start of small and aim high xxx
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Find a form of exercise that doesn't feel like "working out." I danced for years (tap and jazz) and to me, that wasn't working out, but I was getting a great cardiovascular workout and I was in the greatest shape of my life. Years later, I have found that I actually enjoy going to the gym.

Exercise is SO important for your cardiovascular health. Not just for losing weight, but for your overall well being. Grab some fun dance inspired dvds, zumba is great. I also have a couple Biggest Loser dvds that are fun (and HARD!) too, and they're a lot more interesting than traditional cardio/strength training you'd get in at the gym. Good luck!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    For those who absolutely despise working out, then think about activities you might enjoy. Team sports, bike riding, hiking, swimming, bowling. You don't have to do the treadmill if you hate it. Go walk in the park instead & take the long way around. :bigsmile:
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    if you don't like to exercise, try using a step for "step aerobics" Just go up and down on it, vary the ways to do it--on the sides, alternating feet, with some kicks or knee lifts.. Go crazy with your imagination. You will be amazed how much of a workout you get with it.... If you have a Goodwill store, or thrift stores, you can get one there. I think I paid $2 for mine. You can do this while watching TV ...
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    you should zumba! get the dvds if you don't wanna go to a gym - you can get the older ones for cheap online.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi! I didn't like to work out either. I started working out about a year and a half ago and I love it! It's not easy and I won't really say it's fun but what I will say is that it's rewarding. I have to miss my workout tonight to help my daughter with a school project and I'm really upset about it. That's HUGE for me!! I agree with an earlier post - start with a couple of DVD's at home. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is really good. She gives great instructions on how to do each exercise as well as a low impact for beginners and an over the top for those that are ready to GET IT!! That's how I started and now I go to a boot camp 3 x's a week. I have participated in 3 5K's (jogging/walking) and even won medals in two of them (2nd in my age group in one and 3rd in my age group in another). You just have to keep trying until you find what works for you. I also got the Wii Fit and used that for a while with my daughter. I agree with ramseyrose - dancing burns a lot of calories - dance away!!
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out. But you will not be as firm as if you had worked out. You will have to eat less than if you had worked out. And you likely will not be healthy as if you had worked out.

If you like music, I'd suggest trying Zumba. It's really fun and a great workout and is available in classes, video games or DVD.

^^^Agreed! Zumba is a lot of fun! Also they have games on the wii, xbox 360 and ps3 that are fun too. I like doing Just Dance, it really makes you work up a sweat!
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use fitness DVDs in the house as I found the thing that put me off working out was the idea of having to actually go to the gym and fight for machines etc. I bought a selection of highly recommended DVDs and I love them! It's so easy to stick to because I only have to move as far as the other side of the living room and afterwards I can flop straight down onto the couch and watch TV.

I would recommend the "Leslie Sansone Walk at Home" DVDs as they are really easy but get good results as they're a mixture of cardio and strength training so they help you lose the weight and tone the muscles at the same time.

If you aim for 30mins a day it's really not that hard to do. As others have said once you get going you really start to enjoy it!

Feel free to add me or message me if you'd like to know any more about the DVDs I use. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I too HATE working out! I force myself to go and talked friends into joining the gym so I could be held accountable for going. Sadly, theres no way to hit your goal without doing some type of exercise. I'm having a tough time right now for going to the gym at least 4 times a week and not seeing any results lately...very fraustrating but I'm still trying to hang in there...Good luck!
    Stacey
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Order some Jazzercie DVD's from Amazon; it's a cardio workout but it's fun and if you enjoy what you are doing you are more proned to stick with it.

Check out their website www.jazzercise.com