Drinking 8 cups of water on this diet helps with what?

Options
What does drinking all that water ultimately help with? Is it more with curbing your appetite so you don’t eat more or does it actually help with more internal stuff.

I’ve heard multiple things but what does it really do.. in your opinion or of actual fact

Replies

• 150poundstogo
    Options
    Water helps flush fat and toxins from your body, really. It's also important to stay hydrated, because when you're thirsty, your metabolism runs slower. :)
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    thirst can give the same pangs as hunger too
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps but have to say ... I find it very difficult to keep doing it :-(
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I eat tons of fiber ( a low day for me is 20 grams), so I need to drink a lot of water so I don't get constipated (sorry if that was TMI)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Water helps flush fat and toxins from your body, really. It's also important to stay hydrated, because when you're thirsty, your metabolism runs slower. :)

This, and...

Water helps keep your system working properly. It keeps you hydrated. Thirst feels a lot like hunger, so keeping your thirst quenched will help you identify when you're truly hungry. It prevents bloating and helps flush out water weight.

Water is truly the best diet drink out there. And if you drink it cold, it burns calories to absorb it.

When I started drinking 100 ounces of water a day, with no other changes to my diet, I dropped 9 pounds.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Taken from http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html

Top 11 Health Benefits of Drinking Water

Benefits of Drinking Water

Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories.
    Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although many reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.
    Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increases skin elasticity.
    Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrated.
    Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. That means you’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises. Water also helps to fuel your muscle.
    Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.
    Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. In another words one of the benefits of drinking water is that it can improve your immune system.
    Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks water, your heart, for instance, needs to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so will you.
    Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.
    Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't really know for sure, but I know water is supposed to be good for you and I never was much of a water drinker, so I figured it has to be better than what I was doing. Plus, I have heard that soft drinks have a lot of sodium which makes you retain water. I know the more of it I drink, the more I'm starting to want it. Just wish the urge to pee would lessen. :)
  • ShelaghCoble
    Options
    i would imagine the more water your drink the less soda you will drink. I wish I was one of those people that drank water. Propel is pretty much all I can stand.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Water does not flush fat out of your body! Water helps to keep you hydrated and flushes excess sodium out of your system which can show up as weight gain on the scale. Your body performs better when it is nicely hydrated and who doesn't like a good performing body!!
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey Raven.

I have been pondering this and a related matter.

When you 'lose' weight, where does the weight go? It can only leave the body in a few ways - bodily functions (No. 1 and No. 2s) and sweat. However much you sweat during the day or during even an intense workout, that will not be alot. So most must be the former.

So when you metabolise fat, from your body burning the energy stored in fat because of your calorie deficit, it is a chemical reaction with fat or glycogen reserves as the input. The output? Energy, heat and probably water and a few other chemicals (like an efficient combustion engine is water and CO2 or something) - it must be this water and chemical that leave the body. This goes through the body stream, is filtered by the kidneys and leaves the body through you urine.

Is that right?

Therefore, you need to keep water flushing through the body to efficiently wash out all whatever the byproduct of fat burning is.??

Just something I have been pondering....

[I did once study science to a high level but I can't remember what exactly happens - the fat must go somewhere! You can't just lose matter/energy - Laws of Thermodynamics!]
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I can't imagine drinking 8 glasses or less of water a day. I drink about 10 liters of water a day ~ 40 glasses.

I'm not sure it helps with me wanting to eat or anything. I do notice I sweat more while working out though. Flush those toxins!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Because who wouldn't want to pee every 20 minutes? Honestly though once you get in the habit of it, water becomes an after thought, I just always have water with me all the time. Probably a gallon plus a day.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    (Short and Simple) It helps flush impurities and sodium from the body allowing your weight loss go full steam ahead!
  • malindab33
    malindab33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy but I think water is My key to weight loss Not sure if it is the toxins or salt but I know it cleanses you and I know when I drink my water the weigh falls off! If I dont I have a hard time losing the pounds!
  • Redfieldr
    Options

^^Yes, this... Gotta keep all that sodium in check too.

If you are working out, you need to replace what you are sweating away.

It can get hard at times. I mix it up. If I'm sick of water, I will add Stevia to it, or I will drink unsweetened teas.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Water does not flush fat out of your body! Water helps to keep you hydrated and flushes excess sodium out of your system which can show up as weight gain on the scale. Your body performs better when it is nicely hydrated and who doesn't like a good performing body!!
    You're right it doesn't flush fat out, but it does help flush the byproducts of fat breakdown out of your system.
  • shell4short76
    shell4short76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz4stoPNMk1rnygh0o1_500.jpg

Finally after 6 tries. ha!
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My biochem professor in college always used to tell us that the best thing we could do for ourselves was to drink more water. She said that if you find yourself struggling to concentrate or are finding it difficult to do simple tasks, like easy mental math, then you might be dehydrated. And sure enough, when I'm well hydrated, my mind is less foggy, but when I'm dehydrated I can barely add without a pencil and paper.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that your body needs a lot of water to function normally, so why not give it that? And if it helps with your weight loss too, fantastic! :)
  • auddiejo
    Options
    One thing I do is purchase the Benefiber flavored water packets. I put 2 into my 74oz jug and drink it on down. The fiber keeps you full but it can also keep you thirsty.