Dr Oz Cheat Day - faturday!

Options
Did anyone see Dr Oz today? He was talking about the benefit of a cheat day once per week...he called that day faturday! Oh great I thought...bring it on!!! Dr Oz wants me to cheat.

It was all good until he showed us what you should cheat with. He showed off his diet cheat day menu...egg and turkey bacon, whole wheat pizza, and meat with veggies for supper. He had one snack of ice cream and another snack, but I can't remember. All totaled it was 1400 cals per day. OMG....that's a cheat day?? Hahaha

I guess it was wishful thinking to hope Dr Oz would tell me that eating a half a bag of wavy lays and a tub of chip dip every Saturday was ok!!!

:-(

Replies

• fitbytwentyone
    Options
    OMG! I was thinking the same thing! It's a good idea and yeah, I may "cheat," but I don't want someone telling me how to do it :P lol And the first snack was some kind of cheese with low calorie crackers.
  • tknnwatkins
    tknnwatkins Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WOW... what a horrible cheat day!!!! I eat 1500 calories already and like what I am eating! I want some cheesecake on my cheat day...LOL LOL LOL
  • NanaMagoo
    NanaMagoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • carolj59
    Options
    I watched it also and didn't like it. I rather eat whatever I'm having a craving for but in moderation. That
    would be more satisfying to me.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think the 1400 cal day of meals/snacks was an EXAMPLE of how to cover your nutritional needs while minimizing cravings. According to Oz, you can increase the portion sizes of his example day or eat whatever you want. The point was to curb the urge to binge, while at the same time not denying yourself.......
  • pglaf
    pglaf Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    LOL so his cheat day is a 'normal' day for the rest of us?
  • BrickTracy
    Options
    I've found that having at least one "over the top" meal a week tends to help my body keep burning. I've been doing that and it's keeping me from craving and plateuing too badly (learned this on previous "diets" that I never stuck with...this time it's a lifestyle/food change and attitude change) - but, the point is, it's not a bad thing, and it's good to take a day to reward yourself with something, and you can look forward to that. If you eat only super healthy all the time, you eventually get burned out on it (and your body gets way too used to it), and you'll be more apt to gain the weight back. Give yourself something good, enjoy a "day off" once in awhile (once a month is how I've set it up), and have a meal once a week with something you don't normally have, and you'll probably find it much easier to stick with your plans, and hitting your goals, without feeling cheated yourself. :smile:
  • heidi2004
    heidi2004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was excited when i saw the post as well!! Nice I was hoping it was like the body for life when you had your cheat day there when you can eat what ever you wanted one day a week!!! Bummer!!!
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The best part about that whole show was when he was explaining to the women that were on stage with him that they need to eat between 1400-1600 cals a day to lose weight healthily. Then he was saying that their cheat day can be 200-300 cals above that amount... This then tells your body... "I feel nourished... and I will let go some of my fat" I love it!!! My body needs to keep letting go of its fat! ha ha.. :tongue:

I love my cheat days!!! :drinker: cheers to Faturday!!!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I think why he had that menu for a cheat day was because it's healthy and curbs craving but the calorie amount was low so you could add more for that day to make it a cheat day but still be not go overboard like those gals did. Have a donut or whatever you wanted in addition to it. That way your calorie count would not be up to 2500-3500 calories like the gals that ate what they wanted.

Some people can't have a day eating whatever they want or it can throw them back into eating like that for more than that day.

When I saw his cheat menu, I was thinking ..wth! that's not a cheat day. Looked like a regular day to me. Well one where you allow yourself some kind of treat that is yummy but healthy. A good way to stick to a diet. My cheat day is garlic bread and pasta with my spaghetti sauce instead of just salad and spaghetti squash or a few homemade cookies. But I liked his idea of yogurt ice cream. I'm going to add that in the weekly mix of healthy snacks that I have. I'm going to have real ice cream with pie on my cheat day...
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Check out the "Spike" group on here. They believe on really having a day of indulgence once a week. I'm just pleased that I no longer eat that way all the time, because I did - every day was over the top day. One day a week is a very good record!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    1. His cheat day is a normal day for most of us.

2. Faturday? Sounds like a way to villainize a day of eating good food to me.

smh.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    LOL. Crazy Dr. Oz. That's like Victoria Beckham saying that she's constantly snacking and always reaches for fruit and coconut water.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I would discard Dr. Oz as a source of dietary/nutrition info. Watch him for entertainment.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    1400 calories is NOT a cheat day!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sundays I usually do an 1100 calorie swim and then I eat whatever I want. Of course, after that kind of cardio, I'm not really hungry for much. So I don't end up going crazy. Just having a "normal" dinner with portions a bit bigger and having a little ice cream or hot chocolate for a snack.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Some people can't have a day eating whatever they want or it can throw them back into eating like that for more than that day.

Some people can eat enough in a day eating whatever they want that the wipe out their deficit for the week. I discovered when I was first logging that I did fine M-F but completely messed up anything I'd lost by what I'd eat on S-S. Now, with added activity 5 days a week and being mindful every day, it's made all the difference.
  • taurus66
    taurus66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That certainly would not be a cheat day for me.
  • ceawench
    ceawench Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that having at least one "over the top" meal a week tends to help my body keep burning. I've been doing that and it's keeping me from craving and plateuing too badly (learned this on previous "diets" that I never stuck with...this time it's a lifestyle/food change and attitude change) - but, the point is, it's not a bad thing, and it's good to take a day to reward yourself with something, and you can look forward to that. If you eat only super healthy all the time, you eventually get burned out on it (and your body gets way too used to it), and you'll be more apt to gain the weight back. Give yourself something good, enjoy a "day off" once in awhile (once a month is how I've set it up), and have a meal once a week with something you don't normally have, and you'll probably find it much easier to stick with your plans, and hitting your goals, without feeling cheated yourself. :smile:

very good post and I totally agree in this life we all deserve a little treat now and then, and a treat day does help to keep me on track and keeps the boredom away. I save my treat day for special times,like taking my grandson to the movies :happy:
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    'Twould be a hungry day for me