P90X

Options
Ok, I'm considering starting this program. A friend of mine is a big workout nut, and he's insisting that this works. Now, I am not the greatest person in staying with a workout program, but I have got to get something to motivate me and not bore me. I am on the beachbody website, and it's saying it's going to cost $120... I'm assuming this is correct. Is there anything I need to know about this, whether I need to add anything or not buy something. Or is what beachbody is saying the best way to purchase it? Any advice?

Replies

• dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would go by what Beachbody says. You might need to purchase some yoga blocks, mat, and hand weights if your not going to use the bands. You can also purchase the pull up bar to help with the days that you do pull ups such as Day 1. Good luck!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I use resistance bands instead of pull ups. I don't use yoga blocks and just recently got a yoga mat. Weights I use right now are 8lb, 10, 12, 15 and 20s. Just had 3s, 5s and 10s at first but every so often bought other ones I needed.
    I've never done the full program but I use it as a base and add other dvds into the mix like turbofire, insanity, jillian and bob harper workouts.
    If I could figure out the calorie intake to get rid of the layer of fat, I could see all this muscle I've built. :)
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i found P90X dvds on craigslist. i think i paid like $40.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You will need some things along with your DVD. Decide whether you want to use bands or weights for your workouts. The bands have the benefit of being smaller, easier to store or travel with and you can use them for both the pull ups and the weight lifting parts if you follow the modifications on the video. The down side is, you don't know the "exact" weight you're doing (but as long as you're progressing it doesn't really matter) and the bands can become stiffer or easier to pull depending on the temperature of the workout room. Just be aware of that and make adjustments as needed.

You can buy these things from Beachbody.com but there are many other places to get them too. I've picked up quite a bit of stuff off of craigslist at steeply discounted prices. My bands were purchased at my local Sports Authority and are the "Lifeline" brand. This way I was able to get a couple of bands initially and buy more as I progressed. Saved me laying down a huge amount right off the bat. I would make sure to get the door anchor if you don't have something to loop the band over for pull ups. The door anchor lets you put a tab in the door frame, shut the door and do your exercises.

If you don't have a padded surface to do yoga on you'll definitely want a yoga mat. The block is only needed if you're super flexible. I used adjustable dumbbells and bands when I did it. My dumbbells are the type that you buy the bar and collars and the weight plates separately. You can get them cheaply at Walmart or you can look on craigslist and probably find some deals.

Just remember if you're feeling like it's too much that you can modify pretty much everything. Make sure you're working at and pushing your ability without hurting yourself with an eye to progressing. You don't need to be at the same fitness level as the people in the DVD! Just start where you're at and aim for improvement. Some of the exercises you'll be better at than others. I've done it twice and I still suck at yoga and struggle with the pull ups. Good luck!
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Thanks guys. I always have reservations about buying things that cost over $100, but I've bought from beachbody before and have been satisfied. I'm worried more that I won't commit to it. My friend assures me that this program is worth it, and I've only seen where people either don't like that it's time consuming or whatever. I have come to the conclusion that if it's worth it, then I'll find the time. Lord knows that I can do without television and Internet fun when it comes to it. I've just got to get into a routine, and this is supposed to be a great one. He insists I get it with the nutritional guide and follow it. That'll be the hardest part because I'm a horrible, picky eater (no fish, little fruit, etc.). But... if it means a better me, I'm going to have to figure it all out. I just don't think I should have to completely change my food tastes to do this. I love my pasta, burgers, etc. I will just eat those in moderation and only once I get my routine down. That means a huge purging in my house. I'm sure my fiance will LOVE that lol. But he'll definitely enjoy it in the long run :) If there's anything more y'all can advise me, I'd really appreciate it :)
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The good thing about buying through beachbody is the fact that if something is missing or a DVD doesn't work you can get a brand new one or return it for your money back. The only thing you need to buy is a chin up bar if you can do pull ups or resistance bands. You may also need weights if you want or you can use resistance bands for that too. Ican tell you it's a great program and I would buy through beachbody cuz even If you can save money you take the chance of people saying its new when really its not and DVDs don't work by buying thought amazon/cl. Which has happened to me twice.
    You will see great results cuz in the first month I lost .5 inchs and my arms were starting to get really really toned but I didn't follow the diet plan