Good time for Gym? AM or PM?

Options
I'd like to know if it makes a difference going to the gym in the morning or at night..

I'm new to this (started the gym last week) and I can only go at night ..around 7PM (after dinner)

Some of my friends tell me it is best to go before you even eat breakfast to burn your fat and not what you just ate...

Someone..please help! I definitely don't want to be going to the gym for "nothing" if you know what I mean... I'd like to get the most out of my gym time.

I'd like to loose between 30-40lbs by this summer if all possible =)

Thanks!!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on when you can get there! It's more important to do it in the first place over what time. I'm a supporter of AM workouts, only because I tend not to do them after work. Only advice I have, don't go on a full stomach!
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    My advice is to go when you know you will be the most successful. For example, I work out in the PM after work because I am not a morning person by any means. So my workouts will be more focused and successful in the evenings. As far as burning calories, there are different studies out there that say different things about when to eat. Bottom line is...find what works for your body. Some people can workout on an empty stomach. I can't. I need some fuel to get me through my workouts.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    really its just what works best for you. i prefer mornings but do evenings as well
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It needs to be about what will work for you! I prefer to go in the AM, since I have a small child that I don't want to give up time with (if I work out after work, I don't get to see her as much!). But if PM works for you, keep at it!
    The most important part is that you are exercising regularly and pushing yourself. Keep at it!
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The one that suits you :)
    I was never a morning person before. Preferred to do evenings but then realized that there is no time left for family etc, so I started doing in the mornings now. TBH, it was almost impossible for me but when I did, then any human being can change it to his/her situation.

Either way, good time is when you can do it and enjoy it. Ta.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters hwen as long as you go. most people prefer AM because you dont have to work around a schedule in the PM. Personally I am not a morning person and enjoy every last second of my sleep so I go right after work.
  • ashleighk90
    ashleighk90 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I go in the evening, after work, before dinner. Hasn't hurt my progress at all! Also tried AM workouts but I have to be at work at 7:30 and to get to the gym, shower, and drive to work I'd have to be at the gym doors at 5am. Luckily I don't have any after-work obligations to compete with working out!
  • jennbriere
    jennbriere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! =)

I already get up at 5:30 AM to be in work at 7:30 ..get ready, take dogs out and the commute so ya..NO WAY I can go to the gym in the AM (I think it opens at 6:00 anyways so I couldn't haha).

I really like going after dinner..I can't train if I didn't eat, I'll feel like I want to pass out! I just wanted to make sure that my exercise time did still count even though I went on a full stomach =)
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It depends on what works for YOU! For me, I’m all about the morning workout. I love to get there early before work and I come to work in a the BEST mood (most of the time). Plus, I don’t have that looming over me all day long. I am not a supporter of working out at night. And the gym is hardly busy at all at 6am.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like PM because when I work out I exhaust myself. I go home afterwards, take a nice hot shower to relax, my head hits the pillow and I am dead to the world. The nights I don't work out, I can't sleep throught the night, I wake up thinking about all the things that need to be done etc.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The best time is of course when you WILL go. For me that is usually first thing after a small protein shake or sometimes on my lunch break. I work from home and have the luxury of a flexible schedule.

The gym is usually very crowded after work, early morning and late morning it's fairly empty.

Find the time/days that are good for you and make a habit of going.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning burns more fat. Called fasting cardio. But, if you want to retain muscle, it's better to eat plenty before and after. Studies have shown that those who work out in the afternoon build more muscle over time. So it depends what your goals are and, as previously mentioned, personal preference.
  • jennbriere
    Options
    After 7PM there is not a lot of people where I go..another reason why I LOVE going at that time!

If I go after work (so around 4:30)..it's crowded and I hate that..plus I'm super hungry!

so what I do is:

take the dogs to the dogpark for about 1h after work..it also does exercise (around 300cal according to MFP) ..then I go home and eat dinner and then I relax 30min and then I hit the gym at 7:00. It obviously needs more motivation to do it, because once you're home you don't want to go back out (I should specify that I live in Canada so it's freezing right now haha!)...but to me, it's worth going at that time =)
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to go earlier rather than later as I find that I feel better knowing I have already worked out and now I have been on MFP for a few weeks I like the extra calories it provides me! With work and young kids, it also means it is out of the way leaving the day free for them, or for my wife in the evening. Some weekends I do like a bit of a lie in, but still try and make it the first thing of the day.

If I go in the evening I definitely need to have eaten, but I find it hard to train if I have eaten within an hour and a half of going to train. In the morning I have a drink and maybe a small bite of something, having the rest of breakfast on return. I think that work fine for me.

Good luck with it, I suppose your body will get used to your routine or if not tell you otherwise.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I go in the am. If I don't get it done early then I know I wont go later. I'm a stay at home mom and my gym has a daycare so it's a win win for all of us... I get "me" time and the kids get out of the house and a change of scenery. Plus I just feel great the rest of the day!
  • jennbriere
    Options
    Scott.. I'd like to loose about 30-40lbs ...but mostly what I want is to tone..

I'm 5'10, so if I weight 160 instead of 145-150 like I'd like, but I'm toned and look good then I'm fine with that, BUT I definitely don't want to look like a buff chick..so no big muscle training for me (I'd have the type of body that could easily do body building if I wanted to....NO THANKS lol)
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes you're right, I was just giving general advice on the physical advantages of timing your workout.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No it does not. Pick a time when you're most likely to go. That's the only secret.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Personally I HAVE to go at night because I'd rather sleep than eat...plus it helps me blow off my work stress so I'm a nicer person afterward. I think it's different for everyone...find what works for you. Just get there.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    anytime is the best time
    but for pure fat burn sake youll burn a little more fat by eating 1-1.5 hours before going but if you have eaten all carbs you may not burn fat at all just burn the calorie count of what you have eaten, either way as long as your in a slight defecit you will be fine.