Drinking 8 cups of water on this diet helps with what?

Options

Replies

• tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    What does drinking all that water ultimately help with? Is it more with curbing your appetite so you don’t eat more or does it actually help with more internal stuff.

I’ve heard multiple things but what does it really do.. in your opinion or of actual fact

It is recommend that your drink as much as half of your body weight. Ie: If you weight 150 divided by 2 = 75 ounces of water. Water is not only a good way to help curb the appetite but....it is essential for your body to stay hydrated.

Here is a helpful link on why its important to drink water.

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Top-4-Benefits-of-Drinking-Water.htm

HALF your body weight? That would mean a 150 pound person would need to drink more than NINE GALLONS of water a DAY! That's not just insane, it's dangerous! Have you heard of water intoxication?

OMG! How did you get 9 gallons from 75 ounces? 1 gallon = 128 Fluid ounces for 150lb = 75 ounces = 9 cups give or take!

You scared me for a second! I had to do the math again....haha I have heard of water toxication but only in mass amounts.

How I get nine gallons is by doing the math--correctly. Half of 150 pounds is 75 pounds. Water weights about 8 pounds per gallon. 75 divided by 8 is ~9.4, so 75 pounds of water is 9.4 gallons. Since you can only excrete about 5 to 6 gallons per day (and that's under ideal conditions), 9 gallons is more than enough to kill you. How is drinking "half of your body weight" in water not unhealthy?

My math is fine. It is you who have assumed (wrongly) that an ounce of water weighs a pound.

WOW! Im sorry if I offended you! I was not insulting your MATH. I just said it "scared ME(not you) for a second and to double MY math! You are correct in a sense mathimatically. But we were just trying to tell you that 150lbs (represented in ounces) = 150 ounces/2 = 75ounces = 9 cups. Hope that clarifies that. We are all friends here not trying to put down anyones intelligence. On the contrary you sound like a very logical and intelligent person so Kudos to you. :)
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8-10 Liters of water a day...our office manager was like how are we going through so much water. Love water
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    What does drinking all that water ultimately help with? Is it more with curbing your appetite so you don’t eat more or does it actually help with more internal stuff.

I’ve heard multiple things but what does it really do.. in your opinion or of actual fact

It is recommend that your drink as much as half of your body weight. Ie: If you weight 150 divided by 2 = 75 ounces of water. Water is not only a good way to help curb the appetite but....it is essential for your body to stay hydrated.

Here is a helpful link on why its important to drink water.

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Top-4-Benefits-of-Drinking-Water.htm

HALF your body weight? That would mean a 150 pound person would need to drink more than NINE GALLONS of water a DAY! That's not just insane, it's dangerous! Have you heard of water intoxication?

OMG! How did you get 9 gallons from 75 ounces? 1 gallon = 128 Fluid ounces for 150lb = 75 ounces = 9 cups give or take!

You scared me for a second! I had to do the math again....haha I have heard of water toxication but only in mass amounts.

How I get nine gallons is by doing the math--correctly. Half of 150 pounds is 75 pounds. Water weights about 8 pounds per gallon. 75 divided by 8 is ~9.4, so 75 pounds of water is 9.4 gallons. Since you can only excrete about 5 to 6 gallons per day (and that's under ideal conditions), 9 gallons is more than enough to kill you. How is drinking "half of your body weight" in water not unhealthy?
    It is not suggested you drink half your body weight in pounds. The suggestion is that your divide your weight in half and drink that amount in ounces.

Please reread. It says "It is recommend that your drink as much as half of your body weight. " What you are now saying is that what was meant was that you drink one ounce for every two pounds of your weight, and an easy way to get that is to divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces. It's not what was actually said. What was actually said was to "drink as much as half your body weight." These are VERY different things, and one is VERY dangerous. People every day follow some really dangerous diets to lose weight, and being careful what you recommend really does matter.
    The OP of that particular post obviously mistyped, but in her example it clearly states that it is ounces not pounds. As most people don't walk around talking about how many pounds of water they drank for they day, I'd say it's a no brainer. I realize you are trying to make a point, I just think it's an asinine one. As it seems your arguing it just for the sake of arguing.

Agreed - we are not trying to argue PEACE :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    How Much Water Do You Need?

Your body weight is more than 50% water. Without water, you couldn’t maintain a normal body temperature, lubricate your joints, or get rid of waste through urination, sweat, and bowel movements.

Not getting enough water can lead to dehydration, which can cause muscle weakness and cramping, a lack of coordination, and an increased risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. In fact, water is so important that a person couldn’t last more than five days without it.

So how much water do you need? Enough to replace what you lose daily through urination, sweating, even exhaling. And your need for replacing water increases:

-In warm or hot weather
    -With vigorous physical activity, such as exercise or working in the yard
    -During bouts of illness, especially if you are vomiting or have diarrhea
    -You often hear that you need to drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water each day. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine’s Food and Nutrition Board recommended that "women actually need 91 ounces of water daily, and men need 125 ounces".

The good news is if you’re healthy, you don’t really need to keep track of how much you drink. You can get enough water each day by drinking when you’re thirsty and consuming fluids like soup and drinks, with your meals. Just keep in mind that if you’re going to do something strenuous, like playing sports or running, you’ll need extra water before, during, and after.

For the full article go to:
    Source: http://women.webmd.com/home-health-and-safety-9/safe-drinking-water
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    tinalatina, ignore the troll, your post clearly said ounces, it's not your fault if that person can't read;

It is recommend that your drink as much as half of your body weight. Ie: If you weight 150 divided by 2 = 75 ounces of water.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    i would imagine the more water your drink the less soda you will drink. I wish I was one of those people that drank water. Propel is pretty much all I can stand.

Buy yourself a good 32oz. sport bottle, fill it with ice and water, and add a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange to make it a little more interesting. That way you're getting your water without sugar or artificial sweeteners, and you're also increasing your Vitamin C intake. After a while, you'll get to a point where you can drink it without the lemon/orange. :smile:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    does tea count??? I struggle to drink one glass let alone 8!!! But tea.....now I can drink loads of that and it's decaf....it's liquid so it must count...surely!!
    Decaf Tea does count, as do most water based drinks. Anything with caffeine in it should not, since caffeine is a diuretic.

Water is a diuretic.
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    Because who wouldn't want to pee every 20 minutes? Honestly though once you get in the habit of it, water becomes an after thought, I just always have water with me all the time. Probably a gallon plus a day.

You get to wait a whole 20 minutes? lucky!
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    One of my favrite, "weird" water facts is that when you're thirsty, one of the first things that happens to your body is your blood gets thicker. staying hydrated promotes better circulation.

I've been completely hooked on diet soda for the past 4 or 5 months... this thread has reminded me of how important water is to overall health. Getting back on it!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    when you drink enough water, your liver doesn't need to help out the kidneys to their job. when the liver doesn't have to help out the kidneys, it can focus on its primary job...which is digesting the food you eat. You know what happens when the liver is helping the kidneys instead of digesting the food you eat....you got it, that food is being stored as fat.

there are many other wonderful benefits of water as folks have identified above.

Very true! Also toxins from processed foods, pesticides, and dyes have the same effect on your liver and will cause it to spend too much time trying to break them down, and less time digesting the food you eat, hence gaining fat. That is why whole, natural foods are best as well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The body stores toxins in fat. Toxins from the environment, and toxins that are created within our own bodies by hormones and other chemical processes in our bodies. When we are dieting and exercising, we are breaking down the fat. This produces ketones. Too much ketones is harmful. These toxins have to go somewhere. Water flushes ketones from your body, and keeps it from getting dehydrated. Dehydration usually exacerbates the problem because your body will use the water the rest of your body needs to flush out harmful substances.
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • rykacalla
    Options
    Speaking as a former soda junkie, I really hated water. I had a hard time forcing myself to drink it, and ended up throwing I don't know how many half full bottles of water away. Then my co worker introduced me to the MIO drops. The taste was hit and miss for me, but I really like the grape flavor. I have no problem meeting my water goals now, and enjoy the flavor with zero calories. Even better, the "big-box-store's" version of the drops is much cheaper, and tastes exactly the same!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    This thread I actually read through and through. Thanks for all the posts guys. I was wondering how much to drink as well.

I don't break a sweat doing ANYTHING at my job and that is also where I spend most of my day. So while I do not drink 8 glasses of water, I do drink enough to feel hydrated. Obviously, I up that count when I'm working out or doing something strenuous. But for the most part, I drink about 6 glasses of water at work a day without being aware of it. I don't drink soda and I only drink orange juice as part of my breakfast. My co-worker can drink 5 cans of regular coke a day. And zero glasses of water. I'm trying to help her drop that habit but she's a die-hard coke fan! I have my work cut out for me!
  • TeneshiaS
    Options
    i like this post.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Because who wouldn't want to pee every 20 minutes? Honestly though once you get in the habit of it, water becomes an after thought, I just always have water with me all the time. Probably a gallon plus a day.

I wonder how many calories we burn peeing? I imagine it would be more for women since we have to do a squat.... always on the lookout for ways to burn a few more calories! :bigsmile:
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know when I started faithfully drinking the minimum 64 ounces (more on exercise days) I noticed my complextion changed and I was putting moisturizing lotion on my hands less frequently too. I know it keeps us from being dehydrated and helps keeps things moving in our digestive system too. I try to drink my 64 ounces before I allow myself to have ice tea or some other beverage. It's my incentive to get my minimum water in. I also agree with someone elses comment, I LOVE my water to be cold and find it easier to drink too because I just don't care for water. I keep a bag of ice in the freezer at work too or have a coworker get me a large cup of ice when they go to the convenience store or Sonic or something like that. At first you will constantly have to "tinkle" but once your body is used to the routine that will change.
  • big_drake
    Options
    It makes you pee a lot.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Finally a thread that is informative and respectful on this subject ! Please shut it down now before it is too late!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz4stoPNMk1rnygh0o1_500.jpg

Finally after 6 tries. ha!

Oooh a pretty picture - I understand now, lol... thanks for sharing - I really thought it to be cute - some of us really do need to be explained things in the most of simplest ways as possible