FAGE Greek yogurt VS. YOPLAIT (FAKE!) Greek Yogurt

Options
I am absolutely in love with 0% Fage Greek yogurt...I add my own fresh fruit and a little honey.
I went to buy a new large container of it this morning and my store was completely out of it in any size.

So I bought the small container of Yoplait Greek plain 2x protein instead. Huge mistake! Note to self: ALWAYS, always read the label before you buy!

So what's in Yoplait Greek yogurt? Ingredients: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Nonfat Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate. Contains less than 1% of: corn starch (CORN STARCH??), kosher gelatin (HUH??), Vitamin A acetate, Vitamin D3. Basically, Yoplait Greek is plain old Yoplait yogurt with added protein powder and thickeners.

By comparison, Fage yogurt contains milk and active live yogurt cultures--that's it. The whey strained off of the Fage yogurt is a natural calorie reducer and a natural thickener. Greek yogurt does not contain thickeners!

I had 1/2 cup of Fage left and had dumped it side by side in the bowl next to the Yoplait fake Greek yogurt. The Fage was creamy- looking while the Yoplait was shiny and looked like fat free sour cream. There was NO comparison in taste...the Fage was hands down 100% better.

Yoplait Greek yogurt is NOT Greek yogurt...General Mills should be ashamed of themselves trying to pass this off as Greek yogurt.
Fage Greek Yogurt is strained 100% yogurt--as it should be. Let the buyer beware :)

Replies

• wheezymom
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with FAGE is to add Trader Joe's unsweetened chunky applesauce and some ground flaxseed...makes an AWESOME fat free high protein snack! Tried the FAGE minis but then read the label and they are loaded with sugars, but soooo good LOL:happy: Was very disappointed with the Yoplait and you are very right when you call it fake!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanx for posting! I had no idea! Yoplait and oikos is all I've tried never cared too much for it but liked that it had so much protein in it... now I know :-)
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the warning! I always buy FAGE too, I didn't even know yoplait made a greek yogurt...I guess they still don't ;-)
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YES. I made this mistake once too...I always buy either Fage (preferred) or Chobani...instead of the nice, creamy taste of REAL Greek yogurt, the Yoplait tasted like some sort of chemical. ISH.
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried Oikos Greek Yogurt? I didn't like Chobani at all and I haven't tried Fage, but the plain and vanilla Oikos is great!
  • Michelle333
    Michelle333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, will no longer buy yoplait!!!!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've been a Fage eater for a year or two now as well...though recently I bought lemon chobani and pomegranate chobani...the lemon is good...the pomegranate is incredible. I've been pretty much addicted to it since.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Have any of you tried Oikos Greek Yogurt? I didn't like Chobani at all and I haven't tried Fage, but the plain and vanilla Oikos is great!

Totally agreed! I love the vanilla and honey Oikos--they are my favorite. I tried Chobani and wasn't a fan. I tried the Yoplait Greek yogurt because week had a coupon for it, and it was awful. I did not like it at all. I didn't read the ingredients, so I didn't know how it compared to other Greek yogurts, but I could definitely tell it was made by Yoplait--it was sugary and processed tasting.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love Fage yogurt too. 1/2 cup, 1/2 green apple, 2tbsp walnuts and a drizzle of honey. OMG so good and filling.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love Chobani, have to try Fage next time!
    Never liked the Yoplait, like you said FAKE! :laugh:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with FAGE is to add Trader Joe's unsweetened chunky applesauce and some ground flaxseed...makes an AWESOME fat free high protein snack! Tried the FAGE minis but then read the label and they are loaded with sugars, but soooo good LOL:happy: Was very disappointed with the Yoplait and you are very right when you call it fake!

I love Fage, I think I'm going to try this mix of adding my flaxseed and some applesauce to it. Sounds tasty =3
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Love Fage and Chobani... IDK about Oikos now that Dannon appears to have bought them out. To me, it just automatically lowers my perception of the quality. And, no, wouldn't have wasted my money on the Yoplait.
  • qkbvoch
    Options
    I love Chobani! We usually get the Oikos because it's cheaper, but it's only about half the protein that Chobani has. I haven't tried Fage yet, I'll have to check it out. Yoplait is never on my list of approved yogurts :tongue:
  • athensguy
    Options
    I have had Voskos, Stonyfield Organic Oikos, Cabot, and Fage 0%. I like the Fage 0% the best, following by the Voskos and Oikos. I'm eating the Cabot right now because it was on sale. It is very tart. I don't really like the tartness.

The Fage and Cabot do have a good bit more protein than the other two. Next time I'll probably get Fage 0% plain.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I go with Stonyfield Oikos (NOT Dannon Oikos) because of the same reason. No weird ingredients.

On top of being organic, Stonyfield also donates 10% of their profits to helping the earth.

Once you start looking at the ingredients in your yogurt, the selection becomes VERY limited!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the Oikos in my fridge...CORNSTARCH! Guess I'm going to have to try and find Fage. I've tried Chobani before. I wonder if that has cornstarch as well?
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. I've thought of trying the Yoplait because sometimes it's on sale for cheap. Now I know why. :noway:

I'll stick to my plain Fage 2% with the occasional venture into the Fage with fruit or Chobani when I can't get the big tubs of the plain.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten anything other than Fage for a couple of years now. I tried a bunch of different brands when I was first experimenting with greek yogurts and none could stand up to Fage. As for yoplait, you couldn't pay me to eat that brand, or most of the other name brands for that matter now, because of all the gunk they add in. After seeing what yogurt should taste like I can't stomach anything but the real stuff now.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one who's on to them : http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/yoplait-greek-yogurt-healthy/

Nice catch, and thanks for posting.

PS - I make my own Greek yogurt - a little bit of effort,, but I get a QUART of all natural, yummy, creamy heaven for less than $4 :)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I eat the plain Oikos and love it!