Never cooked with Baby Spinach...

Options
skdk833
skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
After trying it on a Subway sub, DH and I decided to give baby spinach a try.

Not sure how to cook and or use it in a recipe. I don't just want a spinach salad.

I was thinking about doing my chicken caesar but over the spinach.

Does anyone have the "I really love this" baby spinach recipe. I made a goal to try 3 new foods per week. So I would like a recipe that will keep me eating it.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Not sure how to cook and or use it in a recipe. I don't just want a spinach salad.

Does anyone have the "I really love this" baby spinach recipe. I made a goal to try 3 new foods per week. So I would like a recipe that will keep me eating it.

Thanks for any help.

The only one I have is Garlic Spinach. 1/4 water, tbs lemon juice, minced garlic, 1 to 2 cloves, tbs minced onion, I put in red pepper flakes in, salt & pepper. Simmer spices, throw the spinach in for a minute or two, mix around and serve.
  • alegrria72
    Options
    I love to add spinach to my omlettes! I've also sauteed it with other veggies and tossed with shrimp and a laughing cow wedge for a creamy primavera type dish. www.allrecipes.com is my go to site for all types of recipes.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    check my diary I have been using spinach lately
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i eat baby spinach leaves almost every day .. made a frittata for breakfast with it in it...and sonetimes i just put my food over it -- like salsa or chicken .. sometimes i make stuffed chicken breast with brown rice and spinach stuffing ..i like it more when its raw then cooked though
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I like it with pasta. Mmmmmm....delicious pasta.

Cook and drain pasta and return to pan, add baby spinach and feta cheese and stir until cheese melts and spinach wilts. Yum.
  • skdk833
    Options

This sounds great. I am the only couscous person in my house, I will have to see how much brown basmati rice will be with it.

And I have all the ingredients! That's a double score in my house. lol
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of spinach at our house. You can cook it down in a skillet and add other veggies to it, e.v.o.o., some lemon juice, salt and pepper and bamn! you have a side dish. :happy: You can make a spinach salad and add all kinds of things. Put it on sandwiches, put it in lasagna, omelets, frittatas, etc. It's so versatile and you can eat it raw or cooked. :tongue: OH, and you can put it own homemade pizza - that's my favorite!
  • toxicelektra
    Options
    I absolutely hate the taste of spinach so what I do is put a few cups into the food processor and make it super tiny and then I add it to whatever I am cooking and I never know its there.
  • skdk833
    Options
    Thank you, I will try the suggestions above. My only concern is I may end up only liking it raw also.

But that would be okay, I would just add it last to recipes like eggs etc.

The recipe cooked down with the lemon juice and garlic sounds really simple and an easy recipe to find out if I like it cooked.

I was really excited to find out that it was not an expensive item. If all goes well, I will pick up a large sized package at Sams (if they have it) and use it in more recipes in the near future.

Now I just need to figure out two more new items this week!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I cook it with an omelette or eat it raw on the side with anything :bigsmile:
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    This is a surprisingly filling pasta dish that not only makes a great meal but fantastic leftovers. My husband and I fight over them and he is NOT a big veggie person. ;)

Cook bowtie, rigatoni, penne or similar pasta to preference. While cooking pasta, saute onion, garlic, mushroom, yellow squash and zucchini to desired texture. I prefer to saute in 1 tbs of EVOO but Pam olive oil spray will work too. Add baby spinach, stirring until just wilted. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add vegetables, stirring well until veggies and pasta are combined. Season to taste. Depending on the day, mood and availability we top with toasted pine nuts, fresh tomatoes or a touch of parmesan. Sometimes all three. But it is a delicious meal that makes good use of baby spinach and other tasty veggies.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use spinach in my wraps. Chicken, spinach, mushroom, tomatoes, and goat cheese! YUM.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Thanks for any help.

The only one I have is Garlic Spinach. 1/4 water, tbs lemon juice, minced garlic, 1 to 2 cloves, tbs minced onion, I put in red pepper flakes in, salt & pepper. Simmer spices, throw the spinach in for a minute or two, mix around and serve.

I'm going to try this one:bigsmile:
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    commenting so I can look back later :)
    I have a lot of baby spinach that needs to be eaten :)
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I like it in eggs, on mini pizzas, in wraps..
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Put it in smoothies. It sounds gross and it looks gross, but you can't tell the spinach is in there and it's so healthy for you! I usually use 1/2c orange juice, 1/2c water, 3c spinach, and then 2 cups of different fruits. Blend it up really well and voila! My daughter drank this right up and thought it was delicious!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    This is a surprisingly filling pasta dish that not only makes a great meal but fantastic leftovers. My husband and I fight over them and he is NOT a big veggie person. ;)

Cook bowtie, rigatoni, penne or similar pasta to preference. While cooking pasta, saute onion, garlic, mushroom, yellow squash and zucchini to desired texture. I prefer to saute in 1 tbs of EVOO but Pam olive oil spray will work too. Add baby spinach, stirring until just wilted. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add vegetables, stirring well until veggies and pasta are combined. Season to taste. Depending on the day, mood and availability we top with toasted pine nuts, fresh tomatoes or a touch of parmesan. Sometimes all three. But it is a delicious meal that makes good use of baby spinach and other tasty veggies.

^ I was going to post the same thing. I love to add cherry/grape tomatoes (the little ones) cut in half, also. Artichoke hearts and olives work too but can make it really salty tasting if you're not careful. Instead of just parmesan I grab the four-cheese blend that has asiago too. Super yummy. Don't forget the black pepper!

I love this recipe because you can use any veggies you have, and tons of them. I like more veggies than pasta.
  • bstoetzer
    Options

Sounds delish!!! May have to try this tonight!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I added spinach to my stuffing. After sauteeing the spinach with a little bit of onion, garlic and low sodium chicken broth, I mixed it in with my stove top low sodium stuffing (made as per usual)...roll them into balls, bake for 30 minutes and tada! Stuffing balls. Thank-you Kraft Canada.