do you add the calories from spices?

Options
i just found out that spices (chili powder, cumin, basil, etc.) have calories! i guess i never thought about it before...when you're counting your calories do you include the calories of spices into your journal?

Replies

• lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmm, didn't know some of my spices really had calories that made a difference. Can't wait to see what others say.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I always use the recipe calculator when I make something new so that I can go back and adjust later and easily add to my diary, especially since I always have leftovers. With the calculator I always add in spices so yep!
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I never count spices when cooking, for me personally I don't believe 5-20 calories from spices is going to make or break my weight loss
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I NEVER count the calories in spices. They are "free" on my diet, so I use 'em all the time. Not counting them hasn't really hurt my weight loss before!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I add them so when I'm looking through my recipes to plan meals it reminds me to make sure I have the herb/spice on hand or on the grocery list. I agree the few calories in them won't make or break my calorie count, but is has made me adjust both recipes and what I buy as many of the powdered/granulated spices are loaded with salt!
  • Freakynympho
    Options
    I usually try to add everything labeled with calories.Some spices show none on label.I really don't think it will make a big impact.I add everything I can just to try to have a more accurate calculation.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the spices...even in a meal that has a lot of them would add up to more than 4 or 5 cals...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    a lot of the hot sauces i use say 0 cal but thats just for 1 serving. i REALLY like hot sauce so i load up on it and i wonder how many calories it really is.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I never count spices when cooking, for me personally I don't believe 5-20 calories from spices is going to make or break my weight loss

this.
  • sporker101
    sporker101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do not add those, nor do I add condiments unless I use an excessive amount in a recipe like egg salad. I'm really not that nitpicky.
  • mcorange01
    mcorange01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Easy to scan them from your phone with the label scanner feature!! A few won't matter most of the days. But over time add up!!
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    no never geuss they dont have alot of calories
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I count them when I'm putting in a recipe.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. Even if it has 0 calories. I know the spices won't really matter but I want an accurate picture of my eating habits
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wow! I NEVER knew spices could add calories! I use spices on my tilapia and chicken to make it less bland. Ugh, every calorie counts. But, i need to loosen up a little!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Even most foods that say zero calories actually have a small number of calories. I think the government standard is it can have up to five calories and still be called zero. Counting spices would be a bit obsessive to me but if you like doing it, go for it.

The thing to remember is that everything we enter is an estimate anyway. I'd be surprised if actual numbers are within 10% a day even if we count and measure perfectly. .
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    I always add my spices. I agree that 5-20 calories make no difference. But my goal is not only watching out for calories, but mainly for sodium (physician recommendation). And some of them have a lot of sodium :frown:
  • tigerpaw143
    Options
    I do not add them... If you use the correct spices you are added such healthy things into your food the calories or not important.. MANY spices have amazing benefits including weight loss
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is a big one! Maybe since I cover my food in it so often xD But yes I do include them.

I like to look back at my diaries and remember what spices I likes and used! More out of interest and recipe tracking to me than anything though
  • SharmelleOlson
    SharmelleOlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to but I forget to do it a lot lol!