Has anyone used diet pills or supplements to help them along

Options
2»

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have tried loads. Alli - if you reduce your fat content you will lose weight anyway and no side effects and no expense. I felt bloated on them. Appesat sent my BP through the roof. Many of them need to be used with a calorie controlled diet which will work anyway.

I wouldnt bother, they are a waste of money and can be dangerous.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    Thanks everyone, my diary is now public for those who asked.
    Well, no need to worry about why you're feeling a bit weary.
    You are not eating enough, and you are going to fail with this approach.
    Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • surferfreak07
    surferfreak07 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use CLA whenever I hit a plateau. They help strip your body of fat and I don't put on weight when I stop taking them. I take Elle True Diet protein shakes and they contain CLA too. Thermopure is a good thing to take before the gym too, it helps speed up your metabolism so you exercise harder and burn more calories.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I take L-Carnitine, L-Arginine and Green Tea Extract for energy and to give my metabolism a boost. I also take Fish Oil and CLA.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peak at your diary. Make sure you eat enough to keep your metabolism going? Calories are not bad, too many are and eating for the wrong reasons.
  • happycrafter
    Options
    Recently, I found that my journey was flopping all over the place. Once I went to the doc she suggested I take a pill to jump-start my motabolism. I took it for 60 days. I feel that was a big mistake as now I am having a terrible time getting back on a regular weight loss routine and seem to be gradually gaining back the weight I had worked so hard to lose. I have heard wonderful things about this site from several people but have never done anything about it till now as far as looking into the site. I hope I find others who I can meet to give each other encouragement.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    Recently, I found that my journey was flopping all over the place. Once I went to the doc she suggested I take a pill to jump-start my motabolism. I took it for 60 days. I feel that was a big mistake as now I am having a terrible time getting back on a regular weight loss routine and seem to be gradually gaining back the weight I had worked so hard to lose. I have heard wonderful things about this site from several people but have never done anything about it till now as far as looking into the site. I hope I find others who I can meet to give each other encouragement.
    My God - what a quack!
  • Chantal34
    Options
    I'm taking Slim Expert along with proper nutrition and exercise. These pills have given me the energy I desperately needed to work out. I work and am a full time college student, as well as a single mom to a one year old. I was always so tired before I started my supplements. I've lost about 8 lbs in 3 weeks and a lot of inches.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Have tried:

>> Acai Burn - waste of money, expensive and doesn't work

>> Hoodia Gordoni - doesn't work (still "testing it out" but haven't noticed a difference)

>> Adios - waste of money, doesnt work

>> Green tea capsules - don't feel as if they work but they are a good source of the main benefits of green tea so I continue to take them.

>> Ionamin - tantamount to taking speed (I was 15 and stupid and it made me faint a lot, incredibly dizzy, bad headaches, hyperactive, pale and sallow, complete loss of apetite = unhealthiest weightloss aid ever. As soon as I stopped - 3 months later - I gained the weight back & now of course I strongly advise against anybody using it)

In conclusion, the ONLY thing that really works + best thing I have ever tried and tested and will continue to use is:

>> Regular exercise, controlled calories and controlled amount of fat in my diet. It works a treat :flowerforyou:
  • cdyer57
    Options
    I was wondering if there is a natural appetite suppressant. It's like, we know what we should or shouldn't be doing, but don't always have the power to not take that first bite.
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used diet pill a few years back and when I stopped taking them i ended up with anxiety and panic attacks so i am strong against them.
  • eeebee
    Options
    I used diet pill a few years back and when I stopped taking them i ended up with anxiety and panic attacks so i am strong against them.

Yes exactly, I had the same too - whenever I'd go out I'd panic and almost has agoraphobia due to the pills. Not worth it, not at all.

C Dyer - Don't rely on any suppressants to kick start your lifestyle change, self discipline is really hard to find to begin with, it was for me and still is at times, but if you want to lose weight that bad, you have no choice but to train yourself to start thinking with a more disciplined mindset...easier said than done, but do-able.

There are very few aids to help keep you feeling fuller for longer (chia seeds apparently do slightly help when consumed with food or drink) but above all, there are so many foods that help (I can give you a nice long list if you like).

Track your calories, set your goal to something that is achievable, dont go cold turkey as that'll make the whole process harder to stick to.

Still indulge in some of the things you like...but in moderation. Have that one bite, have two or even three but you have to train yourself to learn when to stop and if still hungry then force yourself to eat something lower in colaires or healthier to keep you full instead of reaching for another plate of food that might leave you feeling guilty for having eaten.

Experiment with substitutes, you're bound to find something new (or old) that you never thought you'd like or thought would satiate your hunger pangs and cravings. For me....I am so pleased I cut out my daily packet of hula hoops and 2 fingers of kitkat....such small snacks had made such a difference to my weight. Combined with not enough exercise.

Now if I fancy either of those, I'll have them but I'll just have to sacrifice my 2nd slice of toast or eat less rice or pasta with my dinner in order to stay within my calorie goal. For example, I'll have a few egg whites to fill me up instead of that 2nd slice of toast and I'll add loads of green beans to my dinner instrad of all the rice I was planing to have.

This website is great for support, everyone has their own favourite way of sticking to their goals and it's working for them and I am sure it'll work for you so stick with it - you'll find loads of new idea on this site, it's why I am still here :smile:
  • eeebee
    Options
    Woah, what an essay that was - sorry all!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'll make this easy for you.

The reason why you have no energy is because you are not eating enough.

MFP is telling you every day that you are 500 - 700 - 1000 below your calorie goal. You just can't do that. Especially if you are exercising hard every day.

You don't need pills or supplements or any other gimmick. You need to eat to fuel your body.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take a B-100 complex. It's definitely not a diet pill but I find it helps with my energy levels throughout the day, but yet again it might just be in my head. :tongue:
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Yes exactly, I had the same too - whenever I'd go out I'd panic and almost has agoraphobia due to the pills. Not worth it, not at all.

C Dyer - Don't rely on any suppressants to kick start your lifestyle change, self discipline is really hard to find to begin with, it was for me and still is at times, but if you want to lose weight that bad, you have no choice but to train yourself to start thinking with a more disciplined mindset...easier said than done, but do-able.

There are very few aids to help keep you feeling fuller for longer (chia seeds apparently do slightly help when consumed with food or drink) but above all, there are so many foods that help (I can give you a nice long list if you like).

Track your calories, set your goal to something that is achievable, dont go cold turkey as that'll make the whole process harder to stick to.

Still indulge in some of the things you like...but in moderation. Have that one bite, have two or even three but you have to train yourself to learn when to stop and if still hungry then force yourself to eat something lower in colaires or healthier to keep you full instead of reaching for another plate of food that might leave you feeling guilty for having eaten.

Experiment with substitutes, you're bound to find something new (or old) that you never thought you'd like or thought would satiate your hunger pangs and cravings. For me....I am so pleased I cut out my daily packet of hula hoops and 2 fingers of kitkat....such small snacks had made such a difference to my weight. Combined with not enough exercise.

Now if I fancy either of those, I'll have them but I'll just have to sacrifice my 2nd slice of toast or eat less rice or pasta with my dinner in order to stay within my calorie goal. For example, I'll have a few egg whites to fill me up instead of that 2nd slice of toast and I'll add loads of green beans to my dinner instrad of all the rice I was planing to have.

This website is great for support, everyone has their own favourite way of sticking to their goals and it's working for them and I am sure it'll work for you so stick with it - you'll find loads of new idea on this site, it's why I am still here :smile:

Worst weeks of my life and still not back to myself 100%. In my opinion it is best to do things naturally as once you stop taking the pills, which you will have to at some point, you will just put the weight back on twice as fast.
  • 4VirgoVixen
    4VirgoVixen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for 3 months and it helped me lose my first initial 40 pounds. It definitely works as an appetite suppressant, and gives you energy, but when you stop taking it, you will become hungry again. I have found that I am a binge eater and it controls that. I have gained about 5-10 pounds back since I have stopped taking it, but I am not totally against them.