anybody else scared of the big boys?

Options
ok so I work on a military base as a civilian. One of the many perks of this job is they have a gorgeous inexpensive gym! So I use it at lunch everyday! At first I was VERY intimidated by the "big boys" at the gym (thank goodness there's fewer of them usually when I go!). It's getting easier, but sometimes I feel so self- conscious there. Tell me I'm not the only one!

Replies

• Jackyan
    Options
    Your not alone, I hate going upstairs at my gym for the weight machines as I find it too intimading. Only been up there twice, once when I was shown around and a couple of weeks ago when I went with a few friends and we all went up. I dont know if I will every get over it so I enjoy downstairs and the treadmill etc x
  • goblue443
    Options
    You are SO not the only one! I am in college and have this same feeling all the time at the University gym. It's really hard but I've also gotten better at just trying to pretend like they don't exist even though I am regularly the only female in the weight room. I miss my gym at home that had a women's only section. it's such a great idea!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    They are actually the nicest people in my gym, so no. I am not scared of them. I ask them for help and they are my man-slaves!MMMUUUHHAAAAA!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I worked out at a university gym for a long time and I WAS intimidated if a large group of athletes came in . . . like the baseball players or something you know! But I learned to try and ignore them, unless of course it was just too crowded. I have to admit I was skinnier then . . . I might be more intimidated now :grumble:
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i just went to a kick boxing class and felt the same way. everyone is really buff and in shape.
  • goblue443
    Options
    I know you said that you go at lunch but maybe try to recruit a friend to go with! I always feel less silly when I am with someone I know.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    They are actually the nicest people in my gym, so no. I am not scared of them. I ask them for help and they are my man-slaves!MMMUUUHHAAAAA!

This!!! lol and I am speaking for the fellow big guys (or atleast the ones I workout around and with) I maybe look intimidating but come ask me a questions or need some help and you'll see I am a very soft spoken guy who is there for the same reasons you are and that is to get healthy and add years to my life...
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Man Slaves? LOL

I am a little intimidated to work out in the strength training room of my gym, partly because I don't even now what the heck some of the machines do but my gym buddy and I have started to venture in. Before long, I'll be walking in there without a second thought!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what are "Big Boys?" Tall? fat? muscular? all of the above?
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    NOT ME. BRING IT
  • santamommy
    Options

:laugh: Love it!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nope, not in the slightest. The bodybuilders, athletes and even the roidheads are generally fine and helpful if you need it.
  • Mera_Mera
    Options
    I am an Army wife and it was scary at first. But later, those Big Boys are the sweetest. They help you with getting the most of your workout and even give you suggestions/pointers on how to build mass, exercise and just transform your body with weights. I miss Fort Bragg and Fort Carson for that only. LOL! Best of luck!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    The Guys at my Gym are actually very helpful. If they see someone doing something incorrectly, they, VERY POLITELY, help them correct their form. A few have been very helpful to me. I don't mind them as they're there for the same reason I am: To live a healthy, active life.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I only recently became brave enough to go to the weight room with the big boys. I have found most are there for the same reason I am and so don't pay me much attention which is ok with me. Where else can a 6 ft tall redhead blend in, right? lol
  • marquesajen
    Options
    We have a fitness center at our complex, but usually there are only a couple other people there, never any "big boys" so to speak, but when my husband and I went running/jogging we had gone super far, we were sweating and ready to walk the rest of the way home when the high school running team turned the corner towards us. Crap. So Mike says out of the corner of his mouth, "Well, now we can't stop. Great. We just have to pass them, then we can stop." well of course they keep coming around the corner and we're muttering under our breaths, "Stupid athletic teenagers, grrr". Eventually they were gone after a million years and we finally got to walk.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    i ain't. They don't impress me much ;)

There was one guy the other day that randomly gave me a bad look, i would have sparked the guy out cold.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Really "Big Boys" scare me as well!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    My gym is really small and I love going there-but last night I took a class at LA Fitness and that place was HUGE!! I was so scared walking in! :laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why not use them as motivation and being a goal then? Whenever I goto the gym and see a really fit guy who's running on a treadmill for like an hour, i use him as a motivation that I wanna be like him and I know I will have to put in hours, days, weeks and month worth of work to get there. If I see a really attractive young lady, being a male myself, i motivate myself to push harder to achieve the goal where I am attractive looking to her too and I imagine her turning her head for me when I read my goal weight!