anybody else scared of the big boys?

Options

Replies

• thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about it. Everyone is at the gym for the same reason. And you may never know, they may have started off just like us.
  • GigiBee824
    GigiBee824 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tend to "fake it 'til I make it" as a coping mechanism, so when I feel shy or intimidated I tell myself the hell with that crap and pretend that I know what I'm doing. LOL Nobody has ever given my a funny look and the only comments I get are help if I ask for it.

Also I might be biased since I'm an army brat and dating a soldier, but in my experience military guys are almost always super nice and respectful.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    They are actually the nicest people in my gym, so no. I am not scared of them. I ask them for help and they are my man-slaves!MMMUUUHHAAAAA!

^^^ this, and they are so sweet and actually know how hard work feels and respect it too :flowerforyou:
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! I am referring to the big buff body building type of guys! lol I do have a few workout buddies, but unfortunately for me they are generally just into cardio, so don't venture into the weight room. I did take a free consult with the fitness trainer so she introduced me to a bunch of machines and that helped, but I just don't think I'll ever feel truly comfortable and like eyes are not on me! I'm sure that most of them are very nice, perhaps I'm being too judgemental and will try to chit chat with one or two of them :)
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    They are super focused on their workout. Chances are they aren't worried about you or anyone else. Just the task at hand. If you have any questions, you should ask them. I know I never used to mind as long as it didn't take away from my routine. .
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    They are actually the nicest people in my gym, so no. I am not scared of them. I ask them for help and they are my man-slaves!MMMUUUHHAAAAA!

so true! i worked out with a trainer on monday who totally kicked my *kitten*! all the big guys back in the free weight section were so supportive and they helped load weights for me.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

THIS! Today I used the weights and machines at the gym for the first time (I usually just do my stuff at home) b/c I just started a new program and I was very intimidated when I walked in and had NO idea what I was doing. But I just mustered up the courage to ask one of the BIG GUYS and he was very helpful. And later, one guy just offered up his help. I think they enjoy helping women. :-)
  • AceyFaceX
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable in a gym setting, so I usually do wii Zumba at home, and I ride my exercise bike and lift weights here too. I won't zumba unless I'm alone though. I think it's a bit embarrassing and awkward to do that in front of people, so I do it in the day time when I am not at college.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    If they see you training hard and consistently they will respect you and help you. Nothing to fear.
  • My boyfriend is in the Air Force and I go to the gym on base with him regularly. At first, the buff military men used to intimidate me, but come to find out, they are very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to the gym and the equipment.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I am usually too zoned into my own work to notice these people
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just don't like going to the gym, period. I always feel self conscious. The last time I was at one (circa 310 pounds) someone walked by me and made a comment about "not being sure the elliptical was going to make it" through my workout. Awesome. Needless to say, I never went back.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Hell no! Just have to walk around like a boss and know what you are doing :D
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    I love working out with mostly guys. I am usually the only female in my gym when I go and the guys are super supportive and nice. They are always willing to help me if I have questions or come by and say stuff like, "Nice! 5 days in a row!"

I <3 them!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Military gym here, too... there are a few guys there doing heavy iron who I stay away from - they're lifting so heavy that they're practically in tears so I give them lots of space. But so far not even ONE has been rude or impatient with me. I'm 5'2" so I don't exactly blend in... LOL Generally speaking, though, the guys who I have crossed paths with have been nothing but polite and friendly, and more than accommodating to my beginner sets that only take a minute.

It totally helps to bring a buddy, though - last night I had to cross the gym to the olympic bar for deadlifts and psychologically that was crazy hard. But I had a friend, we loaded it up with a whole 20 pounds (rofl) and did our sets. Us with our total of 65 lb, right next to a guy doing 155 lb. Really, it was terribly comical. But you know what, we are the only two girls I have seen use that particular rack in the last month of going there. So that's worth something.

Also - I had a bit of an "aha!" moment - no guy in a military gym should EVER risk being rude to you. Why? Because he has NO way of knowing what your rank might be. Maybe you're a Warrant Officer and he's a Private - you're both in civvies, so he would never know it. :wink:
  • thesarahsundae
    Options
    In all honesty, everyone at my gym is really friendly and kind. I've never had any problems. I am working my way into the free weights again and I don't care what ANYONE says or thinks. But you need to feel comfortable with working out. You'll get there when you are ready.
  • thesarahsundae
    Options
    I just don't like going to the gym, period. I always feel self conscious. The last time I was at one (circa 310 pounds) someone walked by me and made a comment about "not being sure the elliptical was going to make it" through my workout. Awesome. Needless to say, I never went back.

:mad:

That is RUDE!! I would have said something back, but that is just me. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options

This!!! lol and I am speaking for the fellow big guys (or atleast the ones I workout around and with) I maybe look intimidating but come ask me a questions or need some help and you'll see I am a very soft spoken guy who is there for the same reasons you are and that is to get healthy and add years to my life...

^^ This for sure.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I may be considered one of them.. I'm always the tallest person in the gym.

Most of them will be really nice so don't be afraid to ask questions or advice.
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options

Girl, you should never let people like that get to you. Typically they have something ugly to say because they are insecure themselves. I had people make fun of me one day for my tat (mind you, its of my 3 boys names). I stood up to them and said, " Look, I am here to get myself into better shape and be the best mom I can for those 3 boys on my tat. If you have a problem with it, fine, but don't share your opinion with me because I don't care. Also, maybe you should concentrate on your own problem areas and not mine while you are here."