GAHHH!!

Options
I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing me complain about this but I am SO SICK of these damn shin splints it's not even okay anymore.

I had no pain yesterday, NONE! I was so excited! So i thought I'd give the treadmill a shot... I walked at 4.0 for a good 5 minutes and i brought it up to a slow jog at 4.8...

Took the first step... Oh crap.
Second step... Oh man I need to get off this thing...
Third step... Okay, reducing speed
Fourth step.. what is wrong with this thing, why won't it slow down????????
Fifth step.. Okay, find the side rail, Okay found it... OH CRAP I forgot about my left foot!! (I almost fell...)

I look at the tread mill and it's flashing something like "0.5 is the minimum speed" But the darn thing hadn't slowed down at all!!! (I swear it was trying to kill me) So I hit the stop button and hobbled away, embarrassed.

I haven't felt pain like that in a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGG time. And now today my shins hurt more than they did to begin with. It had been a full week since I had even attempted the treadmill. I'm pretty frusterated with this. I can't do the elliptical for an hour straight because I get crazy bored, and I had just started working on my endurance on the treadmill when I developed this little problem and I had all kinds of goals and everything and now they're at a stand still and I just WANT TO RUN!!!!!!!!!

I'm considering seeing a Dr, but I don't really know what they'd be able to do for me, if anything. Probably just tell me not to work out for 2 weeks or something... psh. Fat chance.

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing me complain about this but I am SO SICK of these damn shin splints it's not even okay anymore.

I had no pain yesterday, NONE! I was so excited! So i thought I'd give the treadmill a shot... I walked at 4.0 for a good 5 minutes and i brought it up to a slow jog at 4.8...

Took the first step... Oh crap.
    Second step... Oh man I need to get off this thing...
    Third step... Okay, reducing speed
    Fourth step.. what is wrong with this thing, why won't it slow down????????
    Fifth step.. Okay, find the side rail, Okay found it... OH CRAP I forgot about my left foot!! (I almost fell...)

I look at the tread mill and it's flashing something like "0.5 is the minimum speed" But the darn thing hadn't slowed down at all!!! (I swear it was trying to kill me) So I hit the stop button and hobbled away, embarrassed.

I haven't felt pain like that in a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGG time. And now today my shins hurt more than they did to begin with. It had been a full week since I had even attempted the treadmill. I'm pretty frusterated with this. I can't do the elliptical for an hour straight because I get crazy bored, and I had just started working on my endurance on the treadmill when I developed this little problem and I had all kinds of goals and everything and now they're at a stand still and I just WANT TO RUN!!!!!!!!!

I'm considering seeing a Dr, but I don't really know what they'd be able to do for me, if anything. Probably just tell me not to work out for 2 weeks or something... psh. Fat chance.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry!!!! I am not really sure what is best, I know my friend is dealing with this and has been taping them. She hasn't attempted running again yet though... that is next week. I know how frustrating it is to FINALLY get ambitious about running and then BAM! I decided last week that I am going to do a 1/2 marathon in september. Ran 5 miles monday and felt nauseous and crummy every other day this week so I haven't made it out to run. :grumble: Hopefully I am better by next week. I am just crossing my fingers that the shin splints don't hit me too!!!

Hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel and it sucks when you get injured and cant exercise. But the only way you can recuperate is resting...there is no other way!!!! maybe do some light activities that dont use the shins much, leg lifts, ab work, some lighy cycling on a stationary bike, etc...maybe this is a good time to concentrate on good nutrition, drink lots of water etc...if you rest you will recuperate faster and avoid re-injuring...then when you are ready to start exercising start slow!!!! no jogging first, only walking and take it from there. It might be a good idea to see a doctor but he might tell you the same thing, to rest, ice it, elevate it, avoid exercise, take motrin...I've heard it all before, but be patient, your health is the priority here...if you eat the right foods and stay within your calorie limit you will not gain weight....good luck!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor, it is possible to fracture your shins and if that is the case they will be able to give you proper support bandages as well as recommend what kind of exercise you should do for now. Never take pain lightly, pain means something is wrong and your body is screaming at you to pay attention.

I looked at your profile and you have a good amount to loose and you may need to find other ways than the treadmill to get started. It is hard, I know from my own experience. Sometimes it seems like just when you are motivated and want to do this and you get going something happens to stop or slow you down. The key is to find out what you can do to keep going when something like shin splints or worse happen to you.

The worst thing you can do is ignore what your body is telling you and end up making it even worse (or permanent). When you see your doctor ask them for exercise recommendations for you while you heal. Good luck and go heal yourself so you can finish this! :wink:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    There are some long term possibilities for you, of course seeing a physical therapist would help, but specifically, there are a few things you can do. Buy a shin sock, it's tight neopreen that will hold the tendan to the bone (make sure it's pretty tight, or it won't help, or you can buy a high jumper's knee strap, that does the same thing), also, try stretching out your outer calf muscle, it's probably very tight, you can do that with a foam roller pad. It looks like a shorter, thicker water noodle, you roll your calf on it, you'll feel some pain at first there, but it should lessen after a few times, and if there is pain, then that is proably one of the causes, thirdly, you should ice your shins once a day, whether they hurt or not, for about a week or so. This can reduce inflamation (you won't see this particular inflamation, but it's probably there non-the-less), and allow you to heal. The therapist will probably have some targeted stretches for you, or if they deem it extreme, then they will probably take x-rays to see if there are bone fragments. I had bad Osgoodschlatters disease in my knees (basically the same thing, but a little higher up), and I had to get scoped on both knees my sr. year in High School. Never had a problem again after I had it done.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    There are some long term possibilities for you, of course seeing a physical therapist would help, but specifically, there are a few things you can do. Buy a shin sock, it's tight neopreen that will hold the tendan to the bone (make sure it's pretty tight, or it won't help, or you can buy a high jumper's knee strap, that does the same thing), also, try stretching out your outer calf muscle, it's probably very tight, you can do that with a foam roller pad. It looks like a shorter, thicker water noodle, you roll your calf on it, you'll feel some pain at first there, but it should lessen after a few times, and if there is pain, then that is proably one of the causes, thirdly, you should ice your shins once a day, whether they hurt or not, for about a week or so. This can reduce inflamation (you won't see this particular inflamation, but it's probably there non-the-less), and allow you to heal. The therapist will probably have some targeted stretches for you, or if they deem it extreme, then they will probably take x-rays to see if there are bone fragments. I had bad Osgoodschlatters disease in my knees (basically the same thing, but a little higher up), and I had to get scoped on both knees my sr. year in High School. Never had a problem again after I had it done.

So would this shin shock be a good preventative method. I am very prone to them and b/c of it I have never been able to run. I want to start running now b/c I think it will have a bigger impact on my weight lose. But even power walking like I am now is causing pain in the shins.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    keep the pace on the treadmill slower!!!! shin splints can take up to 6 weeks to heal!!! I get them too and my dr said that thye take time to heal you need to not be impatient once hey hal a bit again you might just want to walk on the treadmill for about 6 weeks till they are fully healed dont push yourself too much. walking burns calories too:wink: you might also want to visit the doctor to make sure you dont have stress fractures, its not likely but a definate possibility!
    j~
  • stacy83084
    Options
    There was a girl on my high school soccer team who experienced bad shin splints. The sports trainer and the coach recommended for her to wrap her lower legs/shins with tape. I believe that this helped the girl get through the splints and continue on the team. I don't know if wrapping is a real relief for shin splints, but it may be something that will help you get through your shin splints or until you can see your doctor.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How were shin splints treated?

Previously, two different treatment management strategies were used: total rest or a "run through it" approach. The total rest was often an unacceptable option to the athlete. The run through it approach was even worse. It often led to worsening of the injury and of the symptoms.

Currently, a multifaceted approach of "relative rest" is successfully utilized to restore the athlete to a pain-free level of competition.

What is the multifaceted "relative rest" approach?

This multifaceted approach includes:

* Workouts such as stationary bicycling or pool running: These will allow maintenance of cardiovascular fitness.
    * Icing reduces inflammation.
    * Anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin); naproxen (Aleve/Naprosyn), are also a central part of rehabilitation.
    * A 4-inch wide Ace bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
    * Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems discussed above and reduce pain.
    * Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary.
    * Stretching and strengthening exercises are done twice a day.
    * Run only when symptoms have generally resolved (often about two weeks) and with several restrictions:

1. A level and soft terrain is best.
    2. Distance is limited to 50% of that tolerated preinjury.
    3. Intensity (pace) is similarly cut by one half.
    4. Over a three-six week period, a gradual increase in distance is allowed.
    5. Only then can a gradual increase in pace be attempted.

Caveat!

The amount of injury that occurs prior to any rehabilitation program plays a significant role in determining the time frame necessary for complete recovery.
    Shin Splints At A Glance

* Shin splints are a type of "overuse injury" to the legs.
    * The pain is characteristic and located on the outer edge of the mid region of the leg next to the shin bone (tibia). It can be extreme and halt workouts.
    * The diagnosis requires a careful focused examination.
    * A multifaceted approach of "relative rest" can restore a pain- free level of activity and a return to competition.
    * The "relative rest" approach includes a change in the workout, ice, rest, antiinflammation medications, stretching exercises, possible change in footwear, and gradual increase in running activities.

References:

Clinical Primer of Rheumatology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkens, edited by William Koopman, et al., 2003.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

So would this shin shock be a good preventative method. I am very prone to them and b/c of it I have never been able to run. I want to start running now b/c I think it will have a bigger impact on my weight lose. But even power walking like I am now is causing pain in the shins.

Well, almost all the things that Helawat stated can also be used preventatively. The sock will keep tendons from moving too much so that can help. But also, good running shoes and a soft running surface are a huge help. Running on concrete or cement is horrible. The best is a rubber track, but if your area doesn't have one, then running on grass is ok but Running on sand might be better (also, it's a great workout). I run on a tred mill, most good tred mills have a pad under to reduce shock, couple that with a good shoe and correct form and you should be fine as long as you are cognizant of any pain that you start feeling. It's important to stop and evaluate if you start to feel pain. Don't wait until it's too serious to continue. There are things that can be done, streching out the muscles and icing are two. Just be aware and use the proper equipment and most likely you will reduce, if not completely eliminate shin splints.