OVER!!!

Options
is there alot of people that go over there calories and still lose weight??

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you are not in a calorie deficit (aka burning more calories than you eat), you won't lose weight. There is no way around it. However, if you have MFP set for a 1 lb/week loss, that puts you at a 500 calorie/day deficit, meaning if you ate 500 calories more than what MFP is giving you, you'd be at maintenance. If MFP tells you to eat 1200/day and you eat 1400/day, you are still in a deficit and will therefor lose weight, albeit more slowly.

I am not sure I explained that clearly but I hope it helps!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have their calories set far too low so those who do go over them still lose weight. If you eat exactly the number of calories MFP gives you you may lose weight, gain weight or stay the same.
  • srrivera24
    Options
    well I am on a 1200 calorie count plus if I work out I usually burn more then 500 calories but still 1200 seems so little, I feel like I will starve if i just ate 1200 calories.... Its a good thing to work out cause then you get to eat more!
  • Tanyaclare
    Tanyaclare Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1200 calories does take some planning but it is possible, but it is not enough to be able to have many snacks or any cheats!! so i would suggest you work out harder!!
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    On days that I do not exercise and get "extra calories" I normally go over. It is so hard to stay at my calorie intake limit (1380) even when I am eating healthy low calorie foods. I feel hungry all day!

I have wondered the same thing.
  • TigersLions
    Options
    Its a good thing to work out cause then you get to eat more!

EXACTLY
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It would depend how much you are over. If you are over so much that you're not in a calorie deficit anymore then you will not lose weight.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    If my calories were set at 1200/day, you can bet I'd be over, every day!

In general, I don't go over my maximum, though, because that's set at 2200/day after exercise.
  • superdoof
    superdoof Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Frequently, and losing on average 1lb a week.

BUT, I'm relatively new to this (5-6 weeks) and my activity level is set to sedentary, which is only true for the 3 days I sit at a desk (remaining 4 I run about like a blue-*kitten* fly)

When the weight stops shifting, I will get more strict with myself, but my new years resolution was to be kind to myself, and not try to rush things...so a 1lb a week loss is just brilliant for me :-)
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am similar to khipson in calories, my base is 1450 but I always burn at least 600 more and pretty much eat 1900-2000 every day and lose weight. If I go over though, I do not lose and sometimes gain... everyone is different... the best thing about MFP is that you can track your loss and gains, along with your diet and make adjustments over time.