Progresso Soups? Calories or Salt?

Options
I have to have a 300 or less calorie dinner tonight because I have been eating granola bars all day and I am thinking about progresso soup. It's 200 calories a can, which isn't bad but the salt is like 1,400. I never eat a lot of salt so is it ok to let it slip once? I have the minestrone flavor.

Thoughts on soup?

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    That much salt in one soup?

Thats more than I eat in one day!

How can a soup contain that much!
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I buy progresso low sodium only.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like soups like that one and eat them often for lunch. They do pack a punch as far as sodium goes.
    If Sodium intake isn't a medical problem for you I wouldn't worry about it too much but make sure you are drinking your recomended amount of water today too:)
    Prob not best to go way over everyday...but once in a while won't hurt
  • melrose09
    Options
    I buy progresso low sodium only.

There is still quite a bit of salt in those, too, but a much better option than the full sodium. And they are yummy! I ate quite a bit of these during my husband's last deployment
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Wont be a problem at all :]

Sodium can mask fat loss, but has no effect on how much you are losing. Its not the enemy! Only temporary water weight. Get in some extra potassium and you'll be fine :D
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have to have a 300 or less calorie dinner tonight because I have been eating granola bars all day and I am thinking about progresso soup. It's 200 calories a can, which isn't bad but the salt is like 1,400. I never eat a lot of salt so is it ok to let it slip once? I have the minestrone flavor.

Thoughts on soup?

It is not going to hurt you unless you eat it everyday but watch your servings on soup...there are usually 2 servings in a can. If you eat high sodium foods just drink a lot of water with them. I go over my sodium a lot but I am still losing about 1lb a week. :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Wont be a problem at all :]

Sodium can mask fat loss, but has no effect on how much you are losing. Its not the enemy! Only temporary water weight. Get in some extra potassium and you'll be fine :D

What she said.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    MOST soup contains a TON of sodium!!

Progresso, in my opinion, is a crock. Some varieties are loaded with a day's worth of sodium in a can. Which can make your scale go UP the next morning. Yes, its water retention from the overload of sodium. But who wants to see that when they're trying to see that number on the scale go DOWN? Plus, feeling puffy and swollen? Not worth it in my opinion.

If you're going to have buy soup, you're better off going to Whole Foods or checking out the "health section" of your grocery. Sure you might pay a buck more per can for something that is better for you (actually has nutrients in it and isn't loaded with sodium), but its worth it. But progresso has like zero nutritional value.
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Do the low sodium soup or just eat a half cup w/about 5 or 6 crackers....I love Progresso soups, I got ALL kinds at home!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options

The average person needs about 2300 mg of sodium a day... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

I eat Progresso soup for lunch often and still manage to be under my limit of sodium on most days.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Jade- I had a chicken sandwich on flatout for lunch with cucumbers, lettuce and feta and it was less than 300 cals. I used 3 oz sliced chicken lunch meat. Much more filling than soup!
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own soup? Its more work but better for you and often less calories.

But, if you do use the canned soup, drink more water with it. Water will help counteract the salt.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Why not make your own soup? Its more work but better for you and often less calories.

But, if you do use the canned soup, drink more water with it. Water will help counteract the salt.

Potassium would be better. Electrolyte balance
  • Picola1984
    Options

The average person needs about 2300 mg of sodium a day... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

I eat Progresso soup for lunch often and still manage to be under my limit of sodium on most days.

Well I never knew that! I decided to add my sodium count to my diary and looking back never come to my goal of 2500. The most I have got to is 2000 just the once. Today is 500

Totally fluctuations in figures!
  • RachelLovesHockey
    Options
    Drink a bunch of water to offset the high sodium. I'm no doctor, but I think if you drink enough water you'll end up flushing a lot of the sodium out of your system. I also think one can every once in a while is no big deal. A can of soup like that every day would be too much. Just my 2 cents.
  • Pashen4fit
    Options
    I brought that soup to have today and when I log it into my dairy my sodium numbers turned red........
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. Red sodium and green everything else. Thats sort of depressing.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

your basic functions need 1500mg of sodium a day...
  • Picola1984
    Options

your basic functions need 1500mg of sodium a day...

I can still see, hear, poo, talk and all the rest though, despite not reaching that most days.

Maybe I'm an anomaly
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Well I never knew that! I decided to add my sodium count to my diary and looking back never come to my goal of 2500. The most I have got to is 2000 just the once. Today is 500

Totally fluctuations in figures!

No one needs 2300 mg of sodium -- that is an upper limit suggestion. And whoever said 1500 is necessary for basic functions is wrong as well. 500 is what's necessary for basic functions. I have heard that heavy exercisers need more.