Calorie intake prior to MFP?

Options

Replies

• gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My eating habits were all over the place before I joined MFP. Let's see:
    - I regularly ate pasta/noodles/ramen (easily 300+ cal per serving. And I always loaded up on the pasta)
    - If it's fried, sweet or packed in a box, it's going in! (that includes pizzas, burgers... well you get the idea. Let's say: 500 cals)
    - If it's a soda (brand doesn't matter- for the most part) it's not going to be spared (150 cals)
    - Creamy salad dressings : YES! (where do I even begin with the cals. Let's be conservative and say 300 clas)
    - A rice dish used to be a must 5 days out of 7! (300 - 400 cals/serving)

add it up and equals my BMR = 1800 cals! Yikess... No wonder I put on a couple pounds nearly every month.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I didn't keep up with it, but i'm betting i drank at least 500 calories a day just in soda and coffee (i like cream and sugar!) I would guess i probably came in around 3000 calories a day (at least!), but that is just a rough estimate.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At least 2,500 per day. It was shocking to see what portions really looked like in reality vs what I was estimating.
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Tracking has done wonders for my portion control. I was also regularly going 300 cals over every day; and at weekend - do not even think about logging the wine and cheese and snacks!

Total eye opener to stick to 1200 - I was fooled into the thinking that I could have 2000 calories coz the packet said so! (not when you are sedentary & only 5ft! MFP is the only way I have ever lost weight!

Good luck everyone! Friend me if you want to!

Tara xxx
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My typical day went like this....

6:45 Wake up. Fix 2 mini sausage biscuit for breakfast & a diet coke.
    7:15 Get in the car and drive my daughter to school while eating said biscuits.
    7:25 Leaving the parking lot on the way to work, realize I am STILL really hungry because those biscuits were so darn tiny. There's a McD's up the road, I'll stop there.
    7:35 I'd like a Sausage Egg & Cheese McGriddle Meal with a diet coke please.
    mmmmm, that was tasty!
    8:00 Get to work, no more diet coke. booo!! Walk to the coke machine and get another...do I have enough change for snack later?
    8:10 Back to my desk. Oh look, the receptionist has candy on her desk...I'll just take one hershey kiss...ok, 2.
    11:45 Lunch time meeting with a client. Drive through Wendy's because OFCOURSE I don't have time to eat my packed lunch that is sitting 200 feet awat in the fridge.
    Can I get a single burger meal and large size that...(wait, their large drinks are HUGE) make that medium please? And a diet coke.
    12:15Work meeting @ Starbucks...Can I get a tall latte please, and a scone (I haven't had dessert yet have I?)
    3:00 Back at work ...coworker asks if I want anything from the vending machine....sure, I'll walk with you. Well, since I am here, I'll just get a bag of sour cream and cheddar ruffles. And a diet coke.
    5:00 End of the day....time to go home. Call's hubby "I am sooo tired and hungry! What's for dinner?.....I just dont have the energy to cook. What's in the freezer? Pizza? We'll just make two so we can take the leftovers to work tomorrow."
    5:30Get almost home & remember there is a Little Ceaser's up the road...I'll surprise them and pick up a pizza and breadsticks.
    It's American Idol night!! Yay Pizza!!
    6:15 Dessert? Ok, there is some ice cream in the freezer.
    10:00...I should go to bed, but I am so hungry. Can I have a couple of sausage biscuits? Thanks.
    10:15...mmm those were good, can I have two more? And a diet coke.
    10:45....time for bed....can you pass the tums?

Calculated the cals, fat & sodium....Results...
    Calories 5529 Fat 262 Sodium 7748
    OH MY FREAKING GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!! No wonder I am the size of a house!! SW 361, CW 302.4
  • Graciecny
    Options
    LOTS. I mean *LOTS*.

I am pretty sure there were days when I drank more calories in SODA than I eat in a day now. Sad, but true.
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    Dr Pepper, monster, coffee (the crappy gas station cappuccino variety), and pasta/bread were going to be my undoing. I had to be up over 2500 at least on some days. Dinner is usually rice or pasta, and I ate a TON of it because hey, it was healthier than the pizza and mcdonalds I was eating when I lived at home! *snort* And if we didn't bother with dinner, then it was a sandwich on a bagel piled high with lunchmeat and a slice of cheese or two WITH cream cheese.

Ugh. XD
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    oh god I don't want to know. When I was a teenager I ate A LOT! Probably 2,000-2,500 calories a day. I don't know how I didn't end up overweight. I drank non-diet soda, ate tons of white bread (till my mom realized wheat was way more tasty) ate frozen junk crappy food, candy, whatever! I never thought about calories then. Now I eat 1200-1600, depending on exercise calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I pretty much (through a miracle) started sticking to my calorie goals the day I joined MFP, but one day for fun I entered a day of what I used to eat and didn't even include the snacks I would have eaten and it was over 3,000! Yikes!
  • bigwill5
    bigwill5 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    10,000 calorie day at least two or three times a week. Lots of Pizza, Double Cheeseburgers, Ice Cream and Pepsi
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    2000-3000 easy! I was so unhealthily, particularly while I was still going to my last college. Everything was just there, and it was always cheap and tempting and ugh, so damn nice. Thank God for the change. :')
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I was tracking my meals at another website - my calorie intake was close to 2000 a day...
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Up to 2500-3000,
    as low as 500.

I kinda bounced around week to week.
  • makeovermom
    makeovermom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DO AN EXPERIMENT: Go back a day or so before you started and log in all the things you ate (be truthful)! You will be shocked at all the calories BEFORE MFP!! You will always think about the HUGE amount of calories and stay away from those things! And besides, you will feel a lot lot better about how you are eating now!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I shudder to think. Thing is, if you do the 3,500 cal/pound thing, my weight gain would have been the result of maybe an extra 50-100 calories per day, but I really feel like I was more like 500 extra/day
  • LonghornGirlNC
    LonghornGirlNC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's pretty incredible when I stop to think how many calories I used to eat because I didn't THINK I was eating that many!!! I have lost 9 pounds so far on MFP. It's the only way I have every lost weight. And I love the recipe builder! I love to cook. So it's great to be able to get accurate calorie counts. And the "net calorie" thing really seems to work for me. Off to work out so that I can eat more for dinner! LOL :laugh:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i was probably eating about 3,000 calories a day, not too horrible considering maintenance for me at this weight now is 2,700. however, i was probably also consuming an additional 800 calories in alcohol a night.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Co-worker and I just had this conversation two days ago. I'm guessing anywhere from 2500-3500 or maybe even higher DAILY!!! Crazy where we all were before MFP, huh??!!!
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tracked food and lost weight before, and while maintaining I've tracked intermittently, just to see what I was doing. I went through all of college and most of grad school hovering around 1700-1800 calories (I didn't exercise), 99% of the time without thinking about it. Then last year I gained 20 pounds! I thought nothing had changed, but when I tracked what I was eating it was between 2000-2500 (still no exercise). At first I thought there was something medically wrong with me, but nope, I was just eating more. (My schedule had changed a lot.)
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's amazing, because I joined MFP in September. I wasn't that committed and one week I decided I would log no matter what. One day I logged 3300 calories. Ridic! I recommitted Feb. 1st and for the most part I have been staying within my calories goals. Which goes to show me how much getting intentional and committed about this here lifestyle can get me!