how big is too big?

Options
13»

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    DAMN... .I was here for something else......

I really don't think there IS a too big, unless the bike breaks or something... if you fit and can ride, then ride!!!! :drinker:

I love riding ... my bike :wink:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    honey, i've seen bigger then you on the bike paths in my neighborhood. the only thing about them that i have a problem with is that they obviously have no idea what they are doing and wasting more energy on a bike then they are using.

if you are going to dust off an old bike and start using it, i recommend taking it to a local bike shop to get tuned up and properly fitted. also, get a comfortable seat, and a pair of bike shorts. they have bike shorts in all sizes, and many look like regular cargo shorts. if they don't have the cargo short variety, get regular ones and wear long pants if you are uncomfortable in them.

comfort is the key to sticking to biking, and while a seat and shorts help, having the seat and handle bars properly adjusted will make the ride more enjoyable. you do not want to be able to put both feet flat on the ground while you are sitting down. you want to barely touch with your tip toes.

pay attention as they adjust your seat and where it is. when i was heavier and i started cycling, i had to readjust my seat all the time because it would sink in. sometimes i would have to stop in the middle of my ride and readjust it right there.

good luck. i love cycling in my neighborhood, and can't wait for it to warm up again.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    Haven't read a single post. Not a one. But I did read the TOPIC. And... (wait for it)...

That's what she said.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    In all seriousness, in my mind one is never too big. Watch "Heavy" (A&E series). They ride bikes all the time, and they're large folks.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Anything bigger than 7-7.5 inches is totally unnecessary

:drinker:
    what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you want to ride a bike, then ride a bike. Anyone who would mock you for it has bigger problems of their own.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    At 360 lbs. I do not currently have the balance and dexterity to comfortably ride a bike. I can. however, use the stationary bikes at the gym and look forward to losing enough weight to enjoy outdoor biking (safely) again :smile:
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I say GO FOR IT!!! NO ONE is too big for a bike!!!
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    My suggestion is to start with a spin class or even just going to the gym and riding a stationary bike. For me it is always easier to start biking after I have reminded myself which muscles are needed and helped my abs to stabilize me :)
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i am 255lbs & i just bought a bike last weekend.. while i still feel like a "big fatty" on the bike- i don't care! people can think whatever they want when they see me going down the road.. i had FUN! (hadn't been on a bike since middle school) i say go for it! plus it's a fun kind of exercising!
  • tkorthanke
    tkorthanke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Being an avid cyclist I would say go for it. Anyone that is truly in the cycling community or for that matter anyone who has any healthy work out life style at all will applaud you for giving the effort to try.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i be honest i really thought this conversation was going a wole different direction ha ha

:laugh:
  • katzmeow_83
    katzmeow_83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    as long as your safe on it :) maybe try a indoor bike first
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    lol i just reread my title.. and laughed out loud.... baahhah