CONCERNED: MFP calorie tracking is wrong

Options
I'm a little concerned that the nutrition info on some foods is incorrect. Not so much with a product such as yogurt or cream cheese where I can look at the side of the container and verify. More like if I'm building a recipe or adding produce, meat etc.

For example: Earlier I looked at 2 submissions for avacados:

1) Produce-Avacado-Half. (Note the serving size is 1/2 of avacado but I'm only using 1/4 so changed it to .25 svg size. Here's the calculation: 50 cals / 5g fat / 3 carbs.

2) Generic - Avacado - 1svg of 1/4 amount. Here's the calculation: 80 cals / 7.5 carbs / 4.25 carbs

That's a 30 calorie difference which is alot to me!!

Here's another example:
Earlier today, I posted a topic about a creamy chicken taco soup. With 6 servings it came out to 182 cal / 21 carbs / 3g fat / 23g protein. Just a few minutes later I saw where someone else had posted EXACT same recipe on their topic. Her recipe calls for 9 servings and if I remember correctly it was 216 calories / 24 carbs / can't recall rest. Anyway it was significant difference and the only difference in our recipes besides serving size was she had 3 chicken breasts and lite cream cheese. I had 2 chicken breasts and fat free cream cheese.

I even tried recalculating mine as hers and it still came out way lower than what she entered.

My concern is that I'm actually eating more calories than I think - even on exercise days when I eat them back! Anyone else have this concern? Sorry for the long post!!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If there are too many variations of the same food, I'll search elsewhere and take my best guess. Everything I make at home is typically weighed, so I don't have much of an issue there.

When it comes to recipes I weigh everything and use only my own recipes...I don't use others'.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: I use the option that has the most confirmations for the nutrient content. If I'm not happy with what I find in the database, I look it up (or look on the label) and enter it in as a new food.

For things like avocados, for example, I would google "nutrition info avocado." Then I would use the most consistent answer that I got on the various websites the search lead me to. If that option with that specific nutrient information wasn't one of the options in MFP, I would enter a "new food" into the database. You're right to be concerned about accuracy, it is very important, especially if you only have 1200 calories to work with.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's to be expected when you have 99% user generated content. Lots of stuff ends up flat out wrong. Besides, let's face it, everything is just an estimate. From your BMR to your TDEE to the food you eat and the exercise you perform. It's all a rough estimate. Use your best judgment. I personally use a food scale and stick to things that have weights listed, at least I feel slightly confident there. Things like "half an avocado" are fairly useless - how big is the avocado? Without measurements you're only going to be in the rough ballpark.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    heres something that will really mess with your head then...

the calories on the package could be up to 20% off.

the people labeling the product get to self regulate their nutrition info.. the FDA doesnt have the resources to check everything... but theres HARSH penalties for selling something for less then the posted weight.. so they often sell it a little over... meaning theres MORE in there then what the package says.

so yea. you're often eating more then you think.

but it doesnt matter. just like you dont know EXACTLY how much you're burning.... just keep track, and it'll be close... for produce you can look it up elsewhere too.
  • Jay0hwhy
    Options
    i have the calorieking book and i look up things to make sure i am choosing the most accurate entry in MFP.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I use the scanner on my phone a lot when I'm making up a recipe. I don't use the database very often unless I have to
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned that the nutrition info on some foods is incorrect. Not so much with a product such as yogurt or cream cheese where I can look at the side of the container and verify. More like if I'm building a recipe or adding produce, meat etc.

For example: Earlier I looked at 2 submissions for avacados:

1) Produce-Avacado-Half. (Note the serving size is 1/2 of avacado but I'm only using 1/4 so changed it to .25 svg size. Here's the calculation: 50 cals / 5g fat / 3 carbs.

2) Generic - Avacado - 1svg of 1/4 amount. Here's the calculation: 80 cals / 7.5 carbs / 4.25 carbs

That's a 30 calorie difference which is alot to me!!

Here's another example:
    Earlier today, I posted a topic about a creamy chicken taco soup. With 6 servings it came out to 182 cal / 21 carbs / 3g fat / 23g protein. Just a few minutes later I saw where someone else had posted EXACT same recipe on their topic. Her recipe calls for 9 servings and if I remember correctly it was 216 calories / 24 carbs / can't recall rest. Anyway it was significant difference and the only difference in our recipes besides serving size was she had 3 chicken breasts and lite cream cheese. I had 2 chicken breasts and fat free cream cheese.

I even tried recalculating mine as hers and it still came out way lower than what she entered.

My concern is that I'm actually eating more calories than I think - even on exercise days when I eat them back! Anyone else have this concern? Sorry for the long post!!

This was my recipe that I posted. :)
    I ALWAYS make my own recipes within the website, ie. I check every label and enter everything personally into a blank recipe. This way I know all my stats are equal to the packaged ingredients. I even said, "the ingredients I used".. I then take a measuring cup and scoop out the crockpot to see how many I have. I portion out, but my fiance doesn't lol.. at least I know when I scoop I'm getting exactly what I measured.
    I never add anything into my diary that I personally don't read the labels for, or input myself! The database is flawed sometimes! :) Also, I never add my recipes into the MFP database and I label them "Kerri's ____"
    Have you used this recipe feature before?
    recipewcc.png
  • oharabears
    Options
    If the serving size listed for the avocado was 1/2 an avocado, and you were using only 1/4, you should have put in .5 of a serving, not .25. Half of a half. That may have accounted for the difference there--on the other stuff...I don't know! : )
  • JakeMallory
    Options
    I KNOW RIGHT? WE'RE PAYING ALL THIS MONEY TO USE THIS SITE THEY CAN AT LEAST GET THE CALORIES RIGHT.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If the serving size listed for the avocado was 1/2 an avocado, and you were using only 1/4, you should have put in .5 of a serving, not .25. Half of a half. That may have accounted for the difference there--on the other stuff...I don't know! : )

This.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    This.
    Yes, this.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, that will cut out most of the error. The issue with the avocado is most likely because of different serving sizes. Also, cross check ingredients with other databases. For anything from a package, check the entry against the package, it only takes a few seconds. For recipes, enter your own and measure carefully, preferably by weight.

I use the recent/frequent foods thing, so when I find a database entry that is more-or-less correct (i.e. I was able to verify elsewhere), I keep using it. Occasionally I will enter my own foods.

Oh, and at the risk of sounding like someone's mother, don't worry about other people's recipes, just enter your own and move on.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    This was my first thought exactly. Also, the calories could depend on size. Also, note there are close to 250 calories in an avacado...so both of those seem drastically wrong!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    http://www.avocado.org/nutrition/

1oz (30g) is 50 cals

I don't like to go by 1/2, 1/4 etc, Weight is much better since not all are going to weigh the same so if you really want to be accurate a scale is needed.

Even though 28g is an ounce they had 30 though?
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    I don't care about calories (I'm a low-carber), but carb counts are a mess too. Lots of entries have the add on of "Net Carbs" which is supposed to be total carbs, minus fiber and any sugar alcohol that may be present. So for the count to be compatible with low-carb, the total carb area needs to have the net carbs, but a lot of entries just have total carbs minus fiber- or total minus SA- and it messes with my journal. I just make my own foods now, the way they are supposed to be calculated.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself to much with the calorie counts that are pre listed as I use what is on the package, and then weigh everything. Soups are hard even if you do that. However, there are some HUGE numbers in the exercise counter that cannot possibly be right.
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your recipe sounds good, can u inbox me the recipe. I'm cooking at home more so I can control what goes in it and that sounds easy to make...also u can add me as a friend...
  • le_kameleon
    Options
    This is what I do: I use the option that has the most confirmations for the nutrient content. If I'm not happy with what I find in the database, I look it up (or look on the label) and enter it in as a new food.

For things like avocados, for example, I would google "nutrition info avocado." Then I would use the most consistent answer that I got on the various websites the search lead me to. If that option with that specific nutrient information wasn't one of the options in MFP, I would enter a "new food" into the database. You're right to be concerned about accuracy, it is very important, especially if you only have 1200 calories to work with.

Ditto,
    And yes, if Avocado serving is already 1/2 and you 1/2 that (.5) then you'd have 1/4 but you put 2.5 so it would be less.... But i get your point. so thats why i agree with the above. Although what scares me is that even though something was confirmed 25 times in the PAST... couldn't someone claim it was not right and then edit it? i was able to edit trader joes unsweetened soy milk from 90 / 70 cal and i realized this fact.. worried about messing up others i created my own new 70 cal version which are identically named so i had to rename it a little. Maybe somewhere in the country trader joe is still selling 90 cal soy milk ?!??!
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    For fruits, veggies and meat that don't have calories listed on them I usually search whatever the name is and then USDA. That will bring up the USDA listed calorie counts and per 100 grams is usually an option. That way you can weigh it out and get a better approximation than 1/2 or 1/4 of something and account for different sizes of these things. I recently found a USDA entry that was different from the USDA database (which you can access by googling USDA nutritional information). I had to search again to find one that was right, so even this method isn't fail safe.