Body Fat %?

Options
I have checked a few different sites calculators, and I think somehow I am doing somethig wrong. I had one say I was 21% Body fat, which is "lean" so that doesnt make sense. So I tried a few more and they all say I am 38-40% body fat which is Severely overweight. which doesn't make sense either. I am 21 yrs old, 5'6", and 163 lbs. Is there a better way to figure this out?

Replies

• aworkma6
    Options
    At my gym they used those calipers to calculate my body fat percentage. I know that probably doesn't help you but I don't know any other way!
  • divais129
    divais129 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to check body fat: calipers, bod pod, water submersion, and the hand held monitor. The gold standards are the bod pod and water submersion, but if you're not close to either of those, use the fat calipers or hand held monitor. Have a qualified tester test you because it can vary widely based on expertise. Good luck!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't like those because they only take into account one body type. when I was in the army I had one of those where the pinch the fat in different places to measure it. it said I was at 14% but the ones online said I was at 47% or something like that.