Diet or workout??

Options

Replies

• kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Diet is the hard part ... once u can do it you can start work out ... while u waiting on diet to be on place u can just walk ... may be a little running ..
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, I'd say diet first. Weight loss is about 80% diet and 20% exercise, so you'll see faster results changing your diet first. Once you get used to eating healthily, you can start trying to work that exercise in.

I'm not sure that's true. When I first joined MFP I stuck with a calorie deficit and my regular level of activity. I didn't lose any weight until I started exercising three months later., and then I was losing up to a pound a week!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Diet first! The website is designed such that it makes it "easier" for you to adjust your diet by allowing you to keep track of everything. By making small modifications at the start with your diet, you can lose weight which will in turn make exercising easier on you. Honestly the majority of my weight loss has been through diet. I have increased my exercise somewhat but not a substantial amount and I'm still working on keeping the consistency of my exercise. (It's coming, I promise!!)
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm not dieting at all, but I have been following MFP and exercising and I've lost 4 lbs in 8 days :)

I choose exercise :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet first. I never would have been able to exercise with all the crap I was eating.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    You are right to overwhelming and stressful to do it all at once.

I started with diet and even did that in small incremental changes.

--I tracked with out worring about losing at first.
    --Then I saw where I could make small changes that would hurt the least.
    --Then every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.

--Then I started slowly adding activities my Ex made fun of me for counting every step in staircases.
    BUT I was moving and kept adding more bit by bit, when I started going to the gym, I got myself there by saying "I'll go for 10 minutes"... once I got there I'd usually get into it and do more... but if I didn't get into it I wouldn't force myself , because I didn't want to associate the gym with suffering.

I'm doing well if I make it 2x a week, I'm not where I want to be yet, but my workouts got longer and longer to the point where my boss yelled at me for taking too long of a lunch.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Diet is the hard part ... once u can do it you can start work out ... while u waiting on diet to be on place u can just walk ... may be a little running ..

Interesting. Makes me realize how different the experience is for each of us. For me, diet is the easy part. I know what to eat, so when I get hungry, I eat what I need to eat. Simple. But loading up a barbell with more weight than I've ever lifted before in my life, and picking it up 5 times. That's fricken hard work man! :smile:
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For me, working out has always been first. I would rather build strength and stamina and stay the same weight than to lose weight and not be able to do a damn thing.

Get in the habit of moving and doing something everyday and then work out your diet.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For some of us, doing a complete over haul of our daily life by changing diet plus exersise regimen is a daunting task, so if a person were to take on one before the other, just to get used to one before adding the other, which would you suggest? I can see the pros and cons of either, but would just like some of you guys input.
    The elements of a successful program include cardio and resistant exercises as well as addressing food intake .
    I am not trying to be unkind, but for those unmotivated to take the proper action, failure is assured.

Don't even bother.

You know, you have really thoughtful things to say sometimes, but this isn't one of those times. It's taken me YEARS to learn proper eating habits, after growing up with a very unhealthy diet. Exercise is the new part for me, and truth be told, I still struggle to eat "clean" meals, every meal, every day. But it's important to be gentle on one's self, and to keep trying. Telling people not to bother is flat out rude and discouraging.
    To the OP- FORGET THE HATERS, KEEP AT IT!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started with exercise first, I just started to feel so much better and loved what I was achieving so then I started to change my eating habits as well since I wanted to be healthy and love just how it feels getting healthier and healthier. You could always just pick a small goal at first with either diet or exercise and build from there.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Get your calories / nutrients in check and then slowly start adding exercise.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have read that Michael Phelps eats total garbage but trains like a machine. Diet, exercise or both doesn't really matter in the scope of weight loss. Change what you are capable of controlling. If it would be easier for you to start exercising than to cut out the Cheetos, then hit the gym. If you have a hard time getting up and about, work on getting the diet straightened out. Then, after you have gained some mobility thru weight loss, think about hitting the gym.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Atm im eating normally, but exercising alot..
    I hope to even it out soon, eat a little less, exercise a little less..
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For some of us, doing a complete over haul of our daily life by changing diet plus exersise regimen is a daunting task, so if a person were to take on one before the other, just to get used to one before adding the other, which would you suggest? I can see the pros and cons of either, but would just like some of you guys input.
    The elements of a successful program include cardio and resistant exercises as well as addressing food intake .
    I am not trying to be unkind, but for those unmotivated to take the proper action, failure is assured.

Don't even bother.

I like how you stated that Max
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Diet if you are dying to see the scale go down now. But, if you choose exercise your pants are likely to fit looser without the scale moving and the endorphin's are often what someone needs to stimulate the next step of dietary changes. Additionally, the workouts can also "force" you into different eating habits naturally.

I think you are being smart. Don't try to make everything perfect all at once. It needs to be a lifestyle change not a "diet"...at least for long term gains.
  • coquette87
    Options
    For me, I found I didn't really have the energy to tackle the gym until I'd sorted out my eating. Once I was getting more fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, low fat dairy, etc, then I had the extra spring in my step I needed to get me to the gym after class rather than just going home and crashing.
  • AliciaJane82
    Options
    EXERCISE FIRST!! Your heart needs it...your lungs need it. Even if you choose never to change your dietary habits, you still need your heart working for you, not against you. Take it from someone who couldn't workout for almost a year because of major heart problems before my surgeries...get that blood pumping through your body...even if it's just a walk!
  • DreamStriveBe
    DreamStriveBe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's 80% diet 20% exercise. Go for diet but try to start exercising at least mildly like taking short walks.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I did just diet for the first week then added exercise after that. Both are equally important, in my opinion. But it does make sense to choose one over the other for the first week or two, so as not to overwhelm yourself. Good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change.....change the way you eat, add exercise.