Diet or workout??

Options
For some of us, doing a complete over haul of our daily life by changing diet plus exersise regimen is a daunting task, so if a person were to take on one before the other, just to get used to one before adding the other, which would you suggest? I can see the pros and cons of either, but would just like some of you guys input.

Replies

• sharleneloveless
    Options
    start strength training!!!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'd say start the diet first so that you can make yourself get into the habit of making the right decisions. Add the workout in after a couple weeks.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Start with diet first, then workout when ready
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Diet. There are many who say that 80% of the equation is diet, and fitness takes care of the rest. I love and recommend Tosca Reno's "Clean Eating" series... there are a few things in them that turned me off just a bit, but for the most part they are great.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, I'd say diet first. Weight loss is about 80% diet and 20% exercise, so you'll see faster results changing your diet first. Once you get used to eating healthily, you can start trying to work that exercise in.
  • QueenHelga
    Options
    Start your diet first, then in a few weeks add the exercise in.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    They say weight loss is 70% eating and 30% exercise.. You can always start off the exercise with walking at home program, but focus on eating healthy..
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You can eat your way through any sort of exercise regimen, and you will hear on here (repeatedly) that 90% of your success will be found in the kitchen.

Make sustainable, healthy changes to your eating habits (cause "diets" never last), and start doing physical activities that you enjoy. This doesn't have to be torture.

You've taken the first step by deciding to take the first step. Have a happy, healthy journey, and good luck!
  • daisydieter
    Options
    I started in January with a 3 day commitment to go to gym, even I just walked on the treadmill and talked to my friend, I was there same time every time. Then last week added the diet part. Now goal for February is to continue the diet and increase those 3 sessions to one hour cardio ones then the other 3 be training run sessions. Sunday is off day. March I will weight training and hiking again. Diet is a very nutrient dense one that is sustainable mostly at home. Travel and all bets are off.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Diet beats exercise every time. Focus on eating healthy and establishing that habit. No processed or junk food. Then add exercise. It makes you feel great and will help maintain your weightloss.

Experts say your body composition is:

80% Diet
    10% Exercise
    10% Genetics

I personally.. need to tighten my diet!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that the overwhelming majority of personal fitness is diet with exercise making up the balance.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would change eating habits first.
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Diet--when I work out and don't pay attention to what I'm eating, I'll accidentally eat more!
  • jenbison
    Options
    I think diet because you will see weight loss results where as with exercise and building muscle, you might see gain or slower weight loss. Also, it is good to get a handle on your diet before you start an exercise regimen so that you are not feeling hungry before, after, during exercise cuz that's no fun.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well... I started with the diet first. I was honest on MFP and initially entered no exercise. I lost 30 pounds in 5 months by just logging in my food and learning what to eat and what to stay away from... after losing 30 pounds, I felt SOOOO much better that I began just walking my dog around the block, then further and further all summer long, every morning. I actually got up to walking just over 3 miles in less than 45 minutes... my poor black lab was typically exhausted and ready for a swim the minute we got home (we live in AZ so it's pretty hot by 8:30am in the summer!)

By the end of summer... I was ready to join a gym... I hadn't been to a gym in nearly 20 years and now I love it. I never in my life thought I would actually love exercising... I still hate to sweat... but I just get on equipment that is closet to the fan and point it right on me... that's what has been working for me... I have lost 67 pounds this year and I feel GREAT! I can't wait to meet my 100 pound goal and I am hoping to get it done by the summer. I would love nothing more than to buy a swimsuit from the average size rack! :happy:
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Looka like the overwhelming consensus is diet! :happy:

I'll say for me personally, I started with the diet first because it was the thing that didn't require effort for me to change since I didn't feel like I had the motivation to start both at once. After losing a couple of pounds, I was feeling a lot more motivated and felt more confident adding in the exercise, too.
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    the first week i concentrated on diet then started walking week two 1 mile a day then 2 now doing 3 push aquafit and zumba once each per week it hasnt taken long to start having more stamina and energy thing is to keep building on the lifestyle change
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Awesome response time guys! I'm gonna take your advice and eat healthy, because I most definatly agree that its not a "diet", its a lifestyle change. I've been reading this blog lately (http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/) and its is Awesome--and very eye opening! As someone who grew up in the south, and quite poor, we ate fat, sodium, chemical filled junk. I grew up on Cokes and sweet tea with half a bag of sugar in it, along with lays, doritos, little debbies, not to mention my mom and mammaws butter, lard, bacon and cheese filled home cooking. We didnt have a garden, so our veggies were froma can and our fruit were covered in sugar. Soooo.....its no wonder I am here today. Doing all this research has really opened my eyes about how truely bad processed food is. Its great reading to get some one jump started on eating the right way!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Diet. There are many who say that 80% of the equation is diet, and fitness takes care of the rest. I love and recommend Tosca Reno's "Clean Eating" series... there are a few things in them that turned me off just a bit, but for the most part they are great.

I LOVE her magazine... My husband and I made her "Food Truck" Lobster Rolls and they were DELICIOUS!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would say either one. Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing. Personally I started with diet first, because I needed some time to get some equipment together for a home gym. And a few weeks later, added the exercise routine. But I see no harm in doing it the other way around depending on circumstances and preference.