Use for egg yolks?

Options
So i'm fourtunate enough to get fresh eggs from a friend who has chickens and they are a big part of my diet. That said, I usually just eat the whites to keep tabs on calories and cholesterol. I feel really wasteful when I throw away the yolks so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about how to store and reuse them? Can you freeze them and put them in recepies?

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when egg yolks were supposed to bad for you I would give them to my cat, but now I eat them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat them, you're missing out on so much nutrition! Or make home made mayonnaise.
    I don't think they will freeze very well.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat them.....They are good for you.......
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i just eat them :D sometimes 3 a day
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    I just eat the yolks, the whites are gross. Love egg yolks and toast, best thing ever. I've never had an issue with my cholesterol from eating eggs.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Scramble em :P n make a healthy muffin sandwich! XD
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Scramble em :P n make a healthy muffin sandwich! XD

English muffin*
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    As said above...no real reason to not eat them.
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe use them in recipes and then freeze what you make?
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just recently read that even though the yolk does have the fat and the cholesterol, it also has the nutrients in it hat are beneficial. I would not toss them. I've struggled to find uses for them, so I'll keep reading!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    estrogen helps break down cholesterol, don't worry about it too much, just eat the whole egg

or make hollandaise sauce or mayo or google "recipes egg yolk"
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You could use them in meatballs or tuna patties and cook and freeze them. Or something like zucchini slice would probably work with more egg yolks than whites. Easier to just eat them with the whites though!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I usually use 4 eggs and throw away 2 of them. I really hate to do that because I'm spending $4.75 a dozen on local organic eggs.
  • smbreezee
    smbreezee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Creme Brulee on a cheat day with strawberries
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What ^they said! Eat the whole egg. There are good fats and nutrition in the yolk!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I make a self crusting quiche and chuck them in with the eggs (the recipe I use asks for 4 eggs, I put 2 whole plus 4 yolks) I've done the calorie thing in the recipe section and they don't bump it up very much. Mostly I just eat the whole egg, the yolk is the best part!!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Can no one read! She doesnt' want to eat the yolks! thats the whole point of the thread!

I'm currently eating 10 eggs a day whites only. Getting such good results from what I am doing I'm totally over feeling guilty about throwing the yolks out. Its really all you can do.

But hey, I'm shameless, I buy caged hen eggs too.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lucky you. Fresh eggs are the easiest to poach.
    You can freeze the yolks but stir them a little with a pinch of salt first.
    Or, if you're really never going to want to eat them, find a friend who likes cooking, because yolks are great for cakes and custards.
  • TheHerbGarden
    Options
    Definitely eat them. The only way they'll raise you're cholesterol is if you eat nothing but eggs. Do some research on webMD and similar good sites ref cholesterol.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    what i do is if im making an omlette or fried eggs etc i have 2:1 ratio!