Out of breath and running

Options
2»

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Many good inputs here - I'll give some that I think you can use:

- Find a suitable program....don't be afraid to repeat weeks of the program if you are not ready to proceed or go back a week if you find that the program is getting ahead of where YOU are (I would advise that you find a program that builds off of a run/walk combination)

- Run slow.....slower than you think you should and don't ramp up too fast - your cardivascular condition will adapt faster than your muscle, tendons and even bones. Pushing too hard increases the risk of injury (but you still need to push.....find a balance)

- Give it time....expect up to 6-12 months before you can run at a decent pace for a full ½ hour without walking breaks if you're starting from zero

- Supplement with other training (I like biking)

- Warm up (lightly....even just walking the first ½ mile) - the first 10-12 minutes are typically the hardest (at least for me) after that the body has adjusted to the fact that you are asking it to work. At some point you'll probably find that after those initial 10-12 minutes you will hit a zen-like state of flow. But when you are starting out and can't even make the first 10-12 minutes.....that's when it's hard to find the motivation to keep going. Do it and you will be rewarded.

- Run, walk, crawl.......but finish. There are no extra points for artistic impression.....the only thing that counts is being out there giving it everything you have.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ...double post
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Doing other exercise, like cycling or swimming, will help improve your lung capacity.

A few years ago when I first started I recall going for a run with a really fit friend who was chatting all the way whilst we ran (mostly to distract me from wanting to stop!) and I couldn't understand how people could talk whilst running because I was gasping for breadth.

Now, I run with my boyfriend and I talk most of the way to distract him from wanting to stop and he can't respond because he is gasping for breadth.

It was a big victory for me when I got to the stage of being able to talk whilst jogging - it just takes time and training. I have asthma and used to smoke, so it took a long time to improve my lung capacity - you can definitely do it, just be patient and follow all the advice given above!
  • mbriscoe79
    mbriscoe79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to say Ive got lots of advice and its great to know Im not the only person who cant/couldnt run.

We have a treadmill on layby which we will pick up in about 2 months so Im tossing up whether to start then or start now running on the bike path behind my house?? Decisions, decisions.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, run slower until you don't get out of breath. If you have to slow to a walk sometimes to catch your breath before continuing, that's OK too. Eventually you will be walking less and less.

All runs feel worse at the beginning, but once you push through that and warm up and get your stride, it gets better.

Also I would say to inhale through your nose AND mouth. That gets you the most air volume the fastest. Breathing in only through your nose is a restriction, especially if your nose gets runny from the exertion or the cold weather.

For some, music can help, for others it can hurt. If your music's beat matches your pace, it can help you, otherwise it can mess you up as you try to subconsciously run to it.
  • oOTeresaOo
    oOTeresaOo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to run for the last few months. i have never been athletic and have never ran! I hated PE in school! I want that to change, and today i finally realized that i had been trying to jog too fast. I started at 5.5 and then went up to 6.0 but couldnt do more then 5 minutes without being completely drained. Today i jogged at 5.5 for 15 minutes and will continue to keep it slow maybe even slower till i build up the speed. Not gonna rush into it this time, fist time i tried i quit 2 months into it. Thanks for all the pointers cant wait to be able to jog longer
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    great advice. bump
  • IRun4Me2014
    IRun4Me2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That definitely comes with time. I was the same way for the first year of running. I thought I would never get past the breathing issues but actually noticed it improved over time. Keep going it will get better. :smile: